FYI

News concerning 3D DCC business
Lord Futzi Voldemort

FYI

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 23 Aug 2011, 18:40

If I´m allowed to quote from http://rray.de:
ICE modeling toolsAuthor: Guillaume Laforgecompilation, osAll, ICEmodeling, compound format
(V0.3.1) This compilation combines Guillaume's ICE modeling related tools, and provides a UI integration for some of the tools.

Current highlights include the "Set Swimming Texture Projection" compound which allows UV swimming even with frozen UVs (some restrictions apply of course), and the already listed "Create Copies from Polygon Mesh" (2.0) and "Create Polymesh from Instance Shapes" (2.0) compounds.

The other compounds included are: Set Static UV State, Apply Slice Between Two Vertices, Apply Thickness, Cap Borders, Create Bullet Shattered Primitive, Create Extrusion Along Strands.2.0, Deform Strand Extrusion
I didn´t check this out, but some of it looks surprisingly similar to the new modelling tools, brought to us by Softimage.... :D

So for what advantage am I paying subscription fees again?

Achim
I'm now part of an endangered species...

grahamef

Re: FYI

Post by grahamef » 23 Aug 2011, 18:55

FYI Guillaume Laforge is a Softimage developer at Autodesk. There has been a lot of further development on those compounds, by Guillaume and others, including bug fixes, better UI integration, support for UVs, etc. You really can't say that they are the same compounds as on rray.de.

Lord Futzi Voldemort

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 23 Aug 2011, 19:17

I wasn´t, I was just wondering... :)
I don´t want to start another fight, but does that mean, the new modelling features for subscription users are a in fact better intergation of tools available to all users?

Achim

EricTRocks

Post by EricTRocks » 23 Aug 2011, 21:35

No, there are new tools that aren't publicly available plus more. It's awesome to have Guillaume available to us regular users to interact with even though he is a developer. Many times his test compounds get release and bugs are found by the general public and he's able to fix them before/after integrating them. Paying for subscription helps the continued development of Softimage which includes new features / compounds / bug fixes (including those in ice compounds)
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

Lord Futzi Voldemort

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 24 Aug 2011, 02:08

EricTRocks wrote:Paying for subscription helps the continued development of Softimage which includes new features / compounds / bug fixes (including those in ice compounds)

You´re welcome ;)

Achim

guillaume

Post by guillaume » 24 Aug 2011, 03:17

Lord Futzi Voldemort wrote:If I´m allowed to quote from http://rray.de:

I didn´t check this out, but some of it looks surprisingly similar to the new modelling tools, brought to us by Softimage.... :D

So for what advantage am I paying subscription fees again?

Achim
Hello,

I made this addon just after the release of Softimage 2012 to help users figure out what could be done with the new ICE Modeling feature. It was made rather quickly from home and some compounds were no really finished (that's why it was a 0.x addon).

I didn't work directly on the new feature of 2012 SAP but I can say that the new ICE modeling compounds include in this version are much better than their first implementation. We used the first addon as a base that we then improved (support for UVs, bevel on thickness, better algorithm etc...). Also, it helps us figure out some cluster problems with ICE and so the 2012 SAP core is improved in this area too. So yes, from my point of view SAP got some advantage ;) .

origin

Post by origin » 25 Aug 2011, 13:40

Found some more SAP videos (japanese)

http://area.autodesk.jp/product/softimage/softimage-2012-sap.html