T-Gen 2 released !

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

TGen 2Author: simartom
T-Gen 2 was a commercial tree generator plugin. It has been discontinued but the free non-commercial versions are still available here:

local backup: TGen2.xsiaddon TGen_v1.02_XSI6.5.zip (old version)

News concerning 3D DCC business
Kaol

T-Gen 2 released !

Post by Kaol » 22 Jul 2009, 23:41

Hi guys,
after months of hard work I am finaly releasing new version of T-Gen. I believe it's huge improvement over the old version. This update is FREE for all existing users.

New features :
* New core - On average T-Gen 2 is 3x-4x faster over the old version. While most of the UI stays the same, T-Gen 2 is build from scratch to properly support multiple CPU cores. Check video below to see new core in action:

* Dynamics - you can now use XSI forces to simulate tree and plant dynamics. Forces in action :

* Various new features and UI improvements
* New distribution options - new distribution types are random and point distribution. By using point distribution you can define exact positions of branches or leaves. See demonstration below.

* New noise types - you can now use perlin noise to get more natural look of branches.
* T-Gen Manager - tool for managing your trees and plants. You can save and load presets, apply forces and randomize the look of plants.

* Powerfull free version

While build from scratch user interface and workflow stays mostly the same so migrating shouldn't be problem for anyone. To transfer plants from T-Gen into T-Gen 2 just save plant preset and then load it into T-Gen 2 using T-Gen Manager.

For limited time only you can now buy T-Gen only for 79 EUR !!! .

To get more information about T-Gen, documentation and downloads go to : www.simartom.com
I would like to express my thanks to all betatesters for your great feedback and Milan Vasek for provided artwork.

Note: There is a bug in XSI 7.5 that prevent you from using more than 1 force. In older versions you can connect up to 100 forces.

Martin

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: T-Gen 2 released !

Post by Hirazi Blue » 23 Jul 2009, 09:39

Looks great!!! :-bd
There is a bug in XSI 7.5 that prevent you from using more than 1 force. In older versions you can connect up to 100 forces.
Could you please elaborate on that. Is this T-Gen specific? Or what kind of work does this bug affect also? :-?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Kaol

Post by Kaol » 24 Jul 2009, 17:56

Hirazi Blue : This is bug in Softimage 7.5. You can only work with 1 force in t-gen because of this.
All other forces are connected but I can't access them because function for that is broken ( is always returning only first force )

Martin

Mootzoid
Administrator

Post by Mootzoid » 25 Jul 2009, 12:47

Hi Martin,

great plug-in and really beautiful results. Congratulations on this new release!

cheers,
Eric

Lord Futzi Voldemort

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 27 Jul 2009, 00:19

Whopee! Time to abandon my xfrog eventually. :D

thanks,
Achim
I'm now part of an endangered species...

Taros
Administrator

Post by Taros » 29 Jul 2009, 20:29

Really nice plugin but one question:
The branches: Are they "only" sticked into the trunk of the tree?

If yes, is there a possibility to have a smooth/beveled intersection between the branches and the trunk?

Thanx
Chris
----> Freelance CG Artist - Germany and international <----
=============== www.christoph-werner.de ===============
====== www.lernfaktor.de - Tutorials in german language =====

redmotion

Post by redmotion » 01 Aug 2009, 15:26

Personally, I don't know why having blended branches is such a big deal. (You really can't see the difference from a distance and if its a close up or a tree featuring a lot in an animation you'll probably wan't to get the shape a specific way and do it by hand). Anyway, regardless I thought I see if there was a quick way...
T-Gen and Polygonise.jpg
T-Gen and Polygonise.jpg (135.66 KiB) Viewed 3318 times
Here's a quick test I did using emPolygonise demo, T-Gen2 (only a few branches because of polygonise DEMO limitations) and Gator to transfer the UVs.

This gets you blended branches.

However, as I'm using the polygonise demo version I cannot scale the tree large enough to see if I can regain the "tapering" of the branches. (I think scaling the scene up and increasing the T-gen polycount would result in the polygonised version being massive.)
T-Gen and Polygonise2.jpg
T-Gen and Polygonise2.jpg (95.75 KiB) Viewed 3318 times
Also, I tried using a shrink wrap operator with weightmap driving amplitude on polygonise-generated mesh to try to blend the branches from thin tip to wider base. But for all the time it takes fiddling about you may as well just model in these connections.

Mootzoid
Administrator

Post by Mootzoid » 01 Aug 2009, 19:12

Hey, nice to see emPolygonize in action :-)

farhaad_yousefi

Post by farhaad_yousefi » 02 Aug 2009, 10:16

new features are awesome..specialy the dynamic option.!! \m/

Taros
Administrator

Post by Taros » 03 Aug 2009, 10:24

redmotion wrote:Personally, I don't know why having blended branches is such a big deal. (You really can't see the difference from a distance and if its a close up or a tree featuring a lot in an animation you'll probably wan't to get the shape a specific way and do it by hand). Anyway, regardless I thought I see if there was a quick way...
T-Gen and Polygonise.jpg
Here's a quick test I did using emPolygonise demo, T-Gen2 (only a few branches because of polygonise DEMO limitations) and Gator to transfer the UVs.

This gets you blended branches.

However, as I'm using the polygonise demo version I cannot scale the tree large enough to see if I can regain the "tapering" of the branches. (I think scaling the scene up and increasing the T-gen polycount would result in the polygonised version being massive.)
T-Gen and Polygonise2.jpg
Also, I tried using a shrink wrap operator with weightmap driving amplitude on polygonise-generated mesh to try to blend the branches from thin tip to wider base. But for all the time it takes fiddling about you may as well just model in these connections.
Thank you for the presentation. But I try to imagine how this work with dozens of trees... For a few models this is ok, but not practicable for lots of trees. But maybe you are right, no one see the branch and texture intersection it if you are moving through a forest.

Thank you
Chris
----> Freelance CG Artist - Germany and international <----
=============== www.christoph-werner.de ===============
====== www.lernfaktor.de - Tutorials in german language =====