It is currently 21 Apr 2014, 09:05

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Upcoming: RandomControl LIVE for Softimage
PostPosted: 24 Dec 2011, 10:58 
Administrator

Random Control (Arion & fryrender) announce a new (upcoming) line of interoperability plugins
for presumably their Arion and their fryrender renderers both.
Funny thing is, the first one they will be releasing will be the Softimage version
(while such plugins traditionally are released for other software first).

Quote:
A completely new line of plugins is coming: The RandomControl LIVE plugins.

RandomControl LIVE is a line of products that fully integrate our technology in the modeling package.

The first modeling package that we are proud to support is Autodesk Softimage. Our plugin supports Render Region, native rendering of animations, native Softimage frame buffer as well as a cool RandomControl LIVE viewport with realtime feedback.

We also have fully integrated our material system into Softimage interface, with nodal support for BSDF layers, bitmaps etc. Everything is Softimage-like and straightforward to use!

Pricing and licensing policies will be presented when the LIVE plugins are released. Owners of an Arion or fryrender license, will be offered the LIVE plugin of their choice for free.
(Quoted from here)

Hat tip to Gene Crucean on the Mailing List for pointing this out...

Post subject: Re: Upcoming: RandomControl LIVE for Softimage
PostPosted: 24 Dec 2011, 18:33 

Good times.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2011, 18:46 

I just read that piece of info as well.
Very interesting indeed. We'll have to see how well it's integrated, and how much faster this renderer has become.

This new version and the plugin will get some decent attention from a lot of us I guess.
And it's nice to be the first 3d app that get's some "plugin loving" for once ;)

rob

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2011, 13:54 

I've just downloaded Arion standalone (the softimage plugin is not available yet ?), it seems faster than Maxwell (but a bit unstable). I have a question : what is the difference between fryrender & arion ? And also, is it possible to render animation sequences with arion ?
thank you,

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2011, 17:49 

the difference between Fryrender and Arion is that Fryrender is more like Maxwell, uses only CPU, while Arion is hybrid and use both CUDA gpu and CPU hence why is hella faster.
The plugin is not included as far as i know, its not even ready, from what i gather they are working on it and they will release it soon.

Arion is great in my opinion, the only thing i dont like about those "external" renderers is they are boring to setup in terms of camera/shaders, the perfect use would be setup scene in softimage -> export it and render with Arion.
Like for example Maxwell does, Maxwell implementation is great, you setup evertyhing in softimage, click render and it starts rendering. Arion instead is like Keyshot or Shot, you import your model and have to setup things there, which in my opinion is kinda painfull.

Best would be Softimage + Fryrender for setup scene materials -> render in Arion, but that costs a freakton of money, and at this point you would think to go with Maxwell.
They should make Fryrender with GPU mode, the whole standalone thing is what i dont like, importing a 4 mil polygons scene into arion for shading/lighting/camera setup makes me cry. Those things should be always done inside 3d software, they are easier and faster to setup.

That said, Arion speed is great because it uses both CPU and GPU.
And yeah it can render animation.

my 2 cents.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2011, 04:28 

Truly spectacular that Softimage goes first..Almost hard to believe :ymhug:

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2011, 15:05 

good stuff, I hope this generates good profits for this guys so they can continue to support this package

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2012, 14:13 

I found this one more interesting and desirables then Vray, or considering the cost, more interesting then Arnold.
Any news about the live plugin?

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2012, 17:27 

I sure would like to see this released as well. I'm sure it's a lot of work though, it took chaos group years to do the v-ray one.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2012, 22:19 
Administrator

Well, RandomControl announced a new generation of plugins, explicitly stating the Softimage plugin would be the first one. One would assume they were already working on it by then and confident they could get it done, otherwise the announcement itself would have turned out differently. Writing such plugins obviously is hard work, but I don't think the time it took Chaos Group to write their VRay Softimage plugin should necessarily be the standard of measurement, I'm afraid...
;)