Upcoming: RandomControl LIVE for Softimage

News concerning 3D DCC business
Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Upcoming: RandomControl LIVE for Softimage

Post by Hirazi Blue » 24 Dec 2011, 09:58

Random Control (Arion & fryrender) announce a new (upcoming) line of interoperability plugins
for presumably their Arion and their fryrender renderers both.
Funny thing is, the first one they will be releasing will be the Softimage version
(while such plugins traditionally are released for other software first).
A completely new line of plugins is coming: The RandomControl LIVE plugins.

RandomControl LIVE is a line of products that fully integrate our technology in the modeling package.

The first modeling package that we are proud to support is Autodesk Softimage. Our plugin supports Render Region, native rendering of animations, native Softimage frame buffer as well as a cool RandomControl LIVE viewport with realtime feedback.

We also have fully integrated our material system into Softimage interface, with nodal support for BSDF layers, bitmaps etc. Everything is Softimage-like and straightforward to use!

Pricing and licensing policies will be presented when the LIVE plugins are released. Owners of an Arion or fryrender license, will be offered the LIVE plugin of their choice for free.
(Quoted from here)

Hat tip to Gene Crucean on the Mailing List for pointing this out...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Memag

Re: Upcoming: RandomControl LIVE for Softimage

Post by Memag » 24 Dec 2011, 17:33

Good times.

Rork

Post by Rork » 24 Dec 2011, 17:46

I just read that piece of info as well.
Very interesting indeed. We'll have to see how well it's integrated, and how much faster this renderer has become.

This new version and the plugin will get some decent attention from a lot of us I guess.
And it's nice to be the first 3d app that get's some "plugin loving" for once ;)

rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

benoit81

Post by benoit81 » 25 Dec 2011, 12:54

I've just downloaded Arion standalone (the softimage plugin is not available yet ?), it seems faster than Maxwell (but a bit unstable). I have a question : what is the difference between fryrender & arion ? And also, is it possible to render animation sequences with arion ?
thank you,

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 25 Dec 2011, 16:49

the difference between Fryrender and Arion is that Fryrender is more like Maxwell, uses only CPU, while Arion is hybrid and use both CUDA gpu and CPU hence why is hella faster.
The plugin is not included as far as i know, its not even ready, from what i gather they are working on it and they will release it soon.

Arion is great in my opinion, the only thing i dont like about those "external" renderers is they are boring to setup in terms of camera/shaders, the perfect use would be setup scene in softimage -> export it and render with Arion.
Like for example Maxwell does, Maxwell implementation is great, you setup evertyhing in softimage, click render and it starts rendering. Arion instead is like Keyshot or Shot, you import your model and have to setup things there, which in my opinion is kinda painfull.

Best would be Softimage + Fryrender for setup scene materials -> render in Arion, but that costs a freakton of money, and at this point you would think to go with Maxwell.
They should make Fryrender with GPU mode, the whole standalone thing is what i dont like, importing a 4 mil polygons scene into arion for shading/lighting/camera setup makes me cry. Those things should be always done inside 3d software, they are easier and faster to setup.

That said, Arion speed is great because it uses both CPU and GPU.
And yeah it can render animation.

my 2 cents.

nuverian

Post by nuverian » 26 Dec 2011, 03:28

Truly spectacular that Softimage goes first..Almost hard to believe :ymhug:
Portfolio / Blog
http://www.nuverian.net

gustavoeb

Post by gustavoeb » 26 Dec 2011, 14:05

good stuff, I hope this generates good profits for this guys so they can continue to support this package
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 26 Feb 2012, 13:13

I found this one more interesting and desirables then Vray, or considering the cost, more interesting then Arnold.
Any news about the live plugin?

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 26 Feb 2012, 16:27

I sure would like to see this released as well. I'm sure it's a lot of work though, it took chaos group years to do the v-ray one.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 26 Feb 2012, 21:19

Well, RandomControl announced a new generation of plugins, explicitly stating the Softimage plugin would be the first one. One would assume they were already working on it by then and confident they could get it done, otherwise the announcement itself would have turned out differently. Writing such plugins obviously is hard work, but I don't think the time it took Chaos Group to write their VRay Softimage plugin should necessarily be the standard of measurement, I'm afraid...
;)

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 26 Feb 2012, 22:31

You're right, Arnold is taking even longer :D

I imaging it depends a great deal on the level of supported features such as what shaders are handled etc. If they only use their own shaders maybe it'll be quicker.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 27 Feb 2012, 02:57

I think they are doing what Nextlimit did with Maxwell (which is one of the best thing i've seen regarding 3d party rendering in xsi), they are porting all Arion shaders and things to render tree so you wont need to go out of Softimage, but you would just need to shade and light your scene then hit render and Arion will start rendering. This is my speculation, but i guess its what they are doing.

I've had the chance to test Maxwell in Softimage and they did a stunning work, hopefully it'll be at the same level. Anyway i always preferred Maxwell to Fry/Arion even if yeah they are different things since Arion is gpu based.
Nextlimit works really fast and hard to updates and bugfixes, couldnt say the same about Randomcontrol since its been ages with no updates to Soft plugins and in general.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 27 Feb 2012, 10:20

ActionArt wrote:You're right, Arnold is taking even longer :D
By a different "standard of measurement" I was actually refering to DnA Research.
Their "3Delight for Softimage" was originally released around the time of XSI 6.5,
after the what I think was the implementation of a new render API for XSI 6.0.

To put things in a different light, in those days (XSI 6.0) the following statement was issued in 3D World #95:
(...) XSI is now set to be made able to interoperate with Renderman, 3Delight, finalRender, V-Ray and Gelato. XSI 6.0 will be the minimum version required to use any of these plug-ins as they're released.
Well at least V-Ray offers unsupported backward-compatibility up to XSI 7

Time flies, when you're having fun... :D

benoit81

Post by benoit81 » 27 Feb 2012, 10:31

We have bought a license of Maxwell, the integration is enough for Softimage. I'm very happy with the quality of the images, but it is so slow... so slooooooooooooooooooow. I think, I will switch to Octane or Arion or Indigo as they use GPU and are much faster. Is there a lot of difference between those unbias render in the field of image quality ?
I do not know witch one would be the first to be integrated in Softimage... They are all in beta stage :

Indigo: http://www.piuiso.com/en/piuiso-project ... -softimage
Arion : http://www.randomcontrol.com/newsletter-2011-12-25
Octane : http://www.refractivesoftware.com/forum ... 4&start=10

Regards,

Newcomer (<20 posts) alert: please use the URL tags - HB

Chris_TC

Post by Chris_TC » 27 Feb 2012, 20:12

Octane currently has a Softimage plugin, which automatically translates and exports the scene. It can also render animations and supports a bunch of ICE stuff, like strands. In fact, Softimage may be the best of the Octane plugins.

But there's about to be a beta for an actual Octane integration in Softimage (I assume with render region and everything). I'm in the beta program, and it should start any day now. Final release should follow soon after.

Regarding Octane itself - it's fast. The speed is addictive, especially because it makes such darn good looking images. I can't compare to the other renderers, but I'd assume that the speed of the GPU renderers is similar.

A few big features are still missing, such as instances, displacement mapping or motion blur.

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 28 Feb 2012, 08:20

Nizar wrote:I found this one more interesting and desirables than Vray, or considering the cost, more interesting than Arnold.
Any news about the live plugin?
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides