Upcoming: RandomControl LIVE for Softimage

News concerning 3D DCC business
ActionArt

Re: Upcoming: RandomControl LIVE for Softimage

Post by ActionArt » 26 Feb 2012, 22:31

You're right, Arnold is taking even longer :D

I imaging it depends a great deal on the level of supported features such as what shaders are handled etc. If they only use their own shaders maybe it'll be quicker.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 27 Feb 2012, 02:57

I think they are doing what Nextlimit did with Maxwell (which is one of the best thing i've seen regarding 3d party rendering in xsi), they are porting all Arion shaders and things to render tree so you wont need to go out of Softimage, but you would just need to shade and light your scene then hit render and Arion will start rendering. This is my speculation, but i guess its what they are doing.

I've had the chance to test Maxwell in Softimage and they did a stunning work, hopefully it'll be at the same level. Anyway i always preferred Maxwell to Fry/Arion even if yeah they are different things since Arion is gpu based.
Nextlimit works really fast and hard to updates and bugfixes, couldnt say the same about Randomcontrol since its been ages with no updates to Soft plugins and in general.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 27 Feb 2012, 10:20

ActionArt wrote:You're right, Arnold is taking even longer :D
By a different "standard of measurement" I was actually refering to DnA Research.
Their "3Delight for Softimage" was originally released around the time of XSI 6.5,
after the what I think was the implementation of a new render API for XSI 6.0.

To put things in a different light, in those days (XSI 6.0) the following statement was issued in 3D World #95:
(...) XSI is now set to be made able to interoperate with Renderman, 3Delight, finalRender, V-Ray and Gelato. XSI 6.0 will be the minimum version required to use any of these plug-ins as they're released.
Well at least V-Ray offers unsupported backward-compatibility up to XSI 7

Time flies, when you're having fun... :D
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

benoit81

Post by benoit81 » 27 Feb 2012, 10:31

We have bought a license of Maxwell, the integration is enough for Softimage. I'm very happy with the quality of the images, but it is so slow... so slooooooooooooooooooow. I think, I will switch to Octane or Arion or Indigo as they use GPU and are much faster. Is there a lot of difference between those unbias render in the field of image quality ?
I do not know witch one would be the first to be integrated in Softimage... They are all in beta stage :

Indigo: http://www.piuiso.com/en/piuiso-project ... -softimage
Arion : http://www.randomcontrol.com/newsletter-2011-12-25
Octane : http://www.refractivesoftware.com/forum ... 4&start=10

Regards,

Newcomer (<20 posts) alert: please use the URL tags - HB

Chris_TC

Post by Chris_TC » 27 Feb 2012, 20:12

Octane currently has a Softimage plugin, which automatically translates and exports the scene. It can also render animations and supports a bunch of ICE stuff, like strands. In fact, Softimage may be the best of the Octane plugins.

But there's about to be a beta for an actual Octane integration in Softimage (I assume with render region and everything). I'm in the beta program, and it should start any day now. Final release should follow soon after.

Regarding Octane itself - it's fast. The speed is addictive, especially because it makes such darn good looking images. I can't compare to the other renderers, but I'd assume that the speed of the GPU renderers is similar.

A few big features are still missing, such as instances, displacement mapping or motion blur.

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 28 Feb 2012, 08:20

Nizar wrote:I found this one more interesting and desirables than Vray, or considering the cost, more interesting than Arnold.
Any news about the live plugin?
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 28 Feb 2012, 10:49

Sorry, McNistor, but a post solely to correct someone else's spelling on an international forum where not everybody knows English perfectly, while the meaning of the post was - wrong spelling or not - perfectly clear, could be construed as slightly offensive...
:(

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 28 Feb 2012, 18:30

I see no harm in correcting a mistake whatever its nature might be. I was/am not condescending, but this is a mistake I see a lot of people make regardless they're native speakers or not. I am not a native, btw, and I wouldn't mind someone correcting my spelling or phrasing as I'm striving to get better.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 13 Mar 2012, 22:50

RandomControl recently released a video showing off their Live plugin in action,
but the version they showed is for 3ds Max: watch it on the RandomControl blog

Magog

Post by Magog » 14 Mar 2012, 08:47

I just do not understand. :-l :-l
Arion Live is ready for some time, perfectly integrated in SI.
I know this because along with my colleague we contacted by mail the sales department.
They told us they were waiting to finish the integration in 3Ds. ~x(
Now you only see the demonstration of 3Ds .. And SI???
I'm frustrated. [-(

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 14 Mar 2012, 10:43

Officially it's a sneak peek of the Max version, not a full-blown official presentation... ;)

Magog

Post by Magog » 14 Mar 2012, 10:44

In fact, they are waiting for the plug is ready for Max..
Why SI can't be the sw that anticipates 3Ds? X(

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 14 Mar 2012, 10:45

Marketing considerations?

edit: at this point in time I would be just grateful that there is going to be a Softimage plugin, i.e. that Softimage isn't explicitly ignored, as some other companies seem to be doing...

gustavoeb

Post by gustavoeb » 14 Mar 2012, 13:23

You just cant blame developers for wanting to make money.
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/