SI Technology Previews

News concerning 3D DCC business
Lord Futzi Voldemort

Re: SI Technology Previews

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 29 Feb 2012, 18:18

I like it. It´s not scaling, it´s retiming.

Achim
I'm now part of an endangered species...

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 02 Mar 2012, 10:44

Seems nice, but nothing so exceptional from my point of view. Hope they show something more interesting.

Perhaps I let myself be easily influenced by beauty images, words and videos, but AD marketing seems run by a group of volunteers (my impression is they are little concerned by the news and product, in previous releases have not seen so much enthusiasm, but maybe it was just my impression), especially if compared to marketing made by Luxology and Maxon, but also NewTeck actually shows more passion for his product (at least lately). I have no intention to offend anyone, again, only my sensation about.

ace63

Post by ace63 » 02 Mar 2012, 10:51

Well if a company only has one flagship product they can put all their effort and passion into it - with 3 feature-complete packages it is not so easy ;)

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 02 Mar 2012, 11:39

ace63 wrote:Well if a company only has one flagship product they can put all their effort and passion into it - with 3 feature-complete packages it is not so easy ;)
Well yes, and this makes a 'big' difference, together with the fact that if they aren't a public listed company, they are not bound by the some of the business rules we are.

One thing I did want to say though, with all this talk about possible announcements, GDC, etc, and without derailing the other thread even more, I will be at GDC next week and on the booth doing various things, so if anyone is going to GDC then I'm more than happy to talk to people.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 02 Mar 2012, 11:45

Well, in the interest of not hijacking the other thread, I've deleted my post there. Now let me rephrase my earlier question here: for quite a while it SEEMED to have been Autodesk's policy to announce their new product-line (at least for M&E) at the GDC. Has this changed? And if so, is there a new "global" ("ballpark") date set to replace the GDC-announcements for M&E, some other conference/tradeshow perhaps?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 02 Mar 2012, 12:00

Luceric basically summed it up in the other thread, product announcement for autodesk products are not synched to conferences. It's true, that in previous years we have announced things at shows like GDC, NAB, Siggraph, etc, but that is often really just a coincidence that in those years the timing of those events has been in sync with our schedules and the timing has fitted.

nourvfx

Post by nourvfx » 02 Mar 2012, 14:01

whats other devloping in softimage2013.
do you have better news.
technology previews its so.scaling animation editor curve.

SreckoM

Post by SreckoM » 02 Mar 2012, 14:54

Dude nobody can tell you that, for so many reasons. If you can not live with it, change your software. There are so many good choices out there.
- H -

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 02 Mar 2012, 16:40

Let's not condemn someone, who expresses interest in more info about SI2013
and more "Technology Previews", to other software too quickly...
;)
(maybe nourvfx really doesn't know about the secrecy involving Autodesk releases)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

luceric

Post by luceric » 02 Mar 2012, 17:57

Bellsey wrote:Well yes, and this makes a 'big' difference, together with the fact that if they aren't a public listed company, they are not bound by the some of the business rules we are.
although it wouldn't apply here (i.e. this week's announcements), because Modo and Houdini are both being announced on the same day that they are available for download!
they are not making previews or pre-announcements.
Last edited by luceric on 02 Mar 2012, 18:22, edited 1 time in total.

SreckoM

Post by SreckoM » 02 Mar 2012, 18:08

I think Houdini had pre-announcement.
- H -

Daniel Brassard

Post by Daniel Brassard » 02 Mar 2012, 18:22

I like technology preview and I do understand the fine line the Devs follows (giving news to their clients on what they are working without giving too much to the competitors).

It least, what I am getting from this is that Softimage is still being developed and improved. Autodesk has a plan for Softimage in their portfolio (whatever the plan is, is pure speculation, they won't tell us and that is fine, don't want a competitor stealing ideas).

I think the frustration come from the lack of recognition of Softimage by Autodesk … I don’t see much when it comes to advertising and promotion, Autodesk has to own that, it’s their 32 million + that they are not pushing well.

Since the acquisition, I have read on various threads on that subject: lack of books, lack of quality training, loss of visibility on the Autodesk site, lack of promotion and advertising, misinformation from dealers abroad, once in the blue moon blog post in the Area (which sucks by the way), timing in advertising that suck, school switching their curriculum to other software, lack of knowledge in the industry about Softimage in general, specially the entry level, Softimage being perceived as too complex to be covered by magazines, and the list goes on. Frankly, for a Grand Dame that help build this industry, Softimage deserve more respect.

Unfortunately that won’t change quickly; the software does not drive the industry, the industry do and they normally don’t throw all their eggs in one basket if they can afford it. It’s all about money and the bottom line in their books (better, faster and cheaper … did I say cheaper!).

Artists and TDs are creature of habits. We have trained hard to get where we are, the competition is stiff, the entry level generation is quite capable and willing to compete. We need an edge and fast!

Does Softimage provide that, I surely hope so, and I have seen lately a demonstration of the will of the community and the Developers to demonstrate just that … we are capable, versatile, knowledgeable and more. Some of our competitors are seeing it and frankly are worried … Don’t wake the beast (Autodesk), they say, keep it low key or they will throw at us the best piece of software they have and it won’t be pretty. Keep working and improving until it matter no more, … shut, …. quiet …. I ear something in the shadow … I think they found us … run for the hill…. ICE Compound coming!

To the Softimage developers, Hat’s off! You are the most unrecognized bunch of people at Autodesk! They should give you the right to brag once in a while!

My 2 cents! I know I’ll get some flames on that one but I care about Softimage and it’s developers!

You get my subscription (I hope)!

Cheers!

Dan
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 02 Mar 2012, 18:59

I agree Dan. Two points I'd like to add.

1) Word of mouth and results go farther in selling a product than ANY amount of advertising. If something is good, the people who need to know already know. SI will do just fine :)

2) SI is the most solid, best thought out piece of software I've ever used and I think the development has been stronger than ever lately. Others have flashy new features that may or may not work - Modo - (some of which we've had for years) while others are the price of a new motorcycle - Houdini - so I think the future is brighter than ever for SI. It's gaining traction but things don't change overnight. Just takes a bit of time...

Daniel Brassard

Post by Daniel Brassard » 02 Mar 2012, 19:24

Totally agree, ActionArt.

If we look at all the major players in the field, there are not much that difference between them. The only way to distinguish one over the other rely on some features that influence marginally the Industry. The killer feature is harder and harder to find.

We are afterall storytellers! Our stenght is how we tell the story, the software is just a tool, but what a tool .....
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 02 Mar 2012, 20:10

I think the some, but, don't want offend anyone dear friends, I reading the some post every SI release. This aspects of SI situation was well discussed before and we didn't resolve nothing. Don't seem to me AD care about us.

AD marketing and ideas for XSI was just ready.

Memag

Post by Memag » 02 Mar 2012, 20:21

Don't seem to me AD care about us.
It's business, they care about themselves.
On the other hand, I don't think they would develop SI further, if they didn't care about customers (ergo - themselves).