Modo 601 Preview

News concerning 3D DCC business
fabilabo

Re: Modo 601 Preview

Post by fabilabo » 01 Mar 2012, 08:53

I just have the feeling his growing fast. The feature is huge and probably modo users will need a year to learn "whats new in this version" (one day for SI, without ICE ^^)
They have alembic, pixar subd, particle shaders looks nice. My only problem with modo is the UI, it become a total mess...

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 01 Mar 2012, 09:43

Are they nice as in you can render a car pretty fast and can show it immediately to a client or as in you can render heavy scenes with moblur/dof/hair/displacements for say a movie?
In my experience (never did a render animation, only in my spar time), modo is really fast in either task you mentioned.
Other feature:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKXqU6B4XhE
I honestly don't know, but I have a feeling that I might be wrong expecting from a one-man-show software like Modo to offer the same power as a Goliath like Softimage or Maya or Houdini. Isn't Modo kind of a one-man-show software or I got this one wrong too?
I think you are right here. I don't think Luxology aim is compete with great monster in production like Softimage and Maya, but can easy replace 3dsm in archiviz studio and cinema 4d. Also, a freelance can handle it easy without great issue. IMHO a good investment for a freelance (not involved in animation or VFX production). In any case modo cost less then 1/5 softimage+subscription, and more and more less then Maya or Houdine Master, cannot be compared, at all. Repeat, modo cost is assimilable to softimage plugin.
I guess there is where they are at the moment. They started as a modeling only thing and have evolved from there to the ideal (in my humble opinion) plataform for freelancers doing still imagery and such. But, from the looks, they dont intend to stop there... Quite frankly I think it is a nice divide and conquer strategy to the top. Sure would not run a big pipeline through it at the moment, but who knows where they will be years from now?
Agree. They first goal was steal users by LightWave, I think they reach (easily) this first aim. Now I see a precise intention to take part of the Cinema 4d audience. If they continuing like they have done in the last release, 701 will consolidate all the actual feature with some upgrade here and there, and 801 will be a big release.
I dont think you guys are being objective..or you never tried Modo or seen it in action.
You realize that for 1/5 of one autodesk software it gives you a lot of things and most of them are unbelievable modern?
I can name a few: Pixar subdivision, sculping, painting, deformers, render engine + render preview, UV editor - those are really amazing in Modo.
There are a lot, and i mean a lot of things maya/max/softimage lacks, which are fast, artist friendly, modern, and time saving.

Of course it has its own problems but for 1k$ its one of the best choice for a one-man army artist for sure.
Its kinda unfair and not smart to compare Modo to other softwares thats been developed for years, cost even 9times more. Compare Modo to Houdini? come on.

I believe that what modo gives you, is amazing in all terms, its growing great and for the price is probably one of the best out there.
Totally agree. Repeat, modo cost like a softimage plugin, and offer great feature, and many of these are absent in softimage (some of these can be done with ICE, but in modo are ready to use and work really nice). Try render engine in modo, I think you will have some big surprise (I know some Softimage users who use daily modo).

Also, not fundamental, but really like it, Luxology company is really nice in all sense (marketing, customers care, attitude), a pleasure read the news and discussing directly with CEO :)
Last edited by Nizar on 01 Mar 2012, 09:43, edited 1 time in total.

origin

Post by origin » 01 Mar 2012, 09:43

I'm wondering if AD will still maintain 3 apps...looking at H12, modo and blender progress, they will probably need to ditch 2 apps to work on only one.

btw for modo users, im evaluating demo, how do you change view rotation to classic one? now its like..arcball or something.

swann

Post by swann » 01 Mar 2012, 10:02

origin wrote:how do you change view rotation to classic one? now its like..arcball or something.
in ViewPane, left top corner there are three menus. First is for View change, second are shading modes, grid display etc. There are two options there - Trackball Rotation and Oscillate. Play with them.

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 01 Mar 2012, 12:22

origin wrote:I'm wondering if AD will still maintain 3 apps...looking at H12, modo and blender progress, they will probably need to ditch 2 apps to work on only one.

btw for modo users, im evaluating demo, how do you change view rotation to classic one? now its like..arcball or something.

Press O key when mouse is on viewport, select Drawing and control tab (at your right) and under Mouse control select what fit better your need.

Autodesk developing only one application? Why? I don't remember any reasonably evolution when AD has only 3dms in its catalogue.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 01 Mar 2012, 14:53

Actually Autodesk softwares are all developing and evolving really slow compared to others. Its an endless discussion really hard to track down and there are countless of reasons, most of them are unknown to us.
Not being fanboy of any application here, but since i own Softimage, spent time effort and money on it, i can share my feelings. I love the software and i would buy it again if i had to roll back in time, but there are some things that are simply unacceptable nowadays, those should be addressed tomorrow morning, not in 4 years, but its not happening and who knows if it will.
I know it takes time to work and fix things, that devs are focused more on what their biggest clients ask for, thats why it wont happen, for us freelancers and people not working in big studios sometimes is a pain to hit always those annoying walls.
There is the moment where you see a Modo or a Cinema4D feature and just go "wow, wtf". Because those have intuitive, fast, artist friendly tools as a standard, then you can go deep and get technical too. Here is the total opposite, you start being technical and have almost no artist friendly, intuitive tool.

Its always a personal opinion anyway, this is the way i feel and sometimes Softimage makes me want to hang myself, especially on rendering/texturing/shading/lighting department. Thats where i am, i'm not a vfx/animator. And in those fields Softimage is kinda lacking love, and falling really behind in my opinion.

Max

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 01 Mar 2012, 15:57

my favorite is full body IK. Well if this feature have a half functionality of Maya equivalents, and SI 2013 won't have much more than lattices in animation editor..... don't know what to say. I was enough idiot to hope for something full-body-IK-like from ICE kinematics...

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 01 Mar 2012, 17:15

That's a great looking set up updates...BUT, in the past, Modo has been quite unstable. Perhaps this has changed recently but I'd wait to see how well it actually works before getting too excited.

Competition is always good for us though and if I didn't have SI, Modo would be my second choice.

TwinSnakes007

Post by TwinSnakes007 » 01 Mar 2012, 17:16

Yeah, that Ikinema integration into Modo (full body IK solver) explains the price increase. A single license of Ikinema for Maya cost about $1200.

They also included Recoil (Bullet plugin) into 601 as well, which supports Bullet 2.79, the most recent version. That used to cost $199 separately.
Last edited by TwinSnakes007 on 01 Mar 2012, 17:25, edited 1 time in total.

TwinSnakes007

Post by TwinSnakes007 » 01 Mar 2012, 17:17

ActionArt wrote:if I didn't have SI, Modo would be my second choice.
You'd goto Modo before Cinema4D?

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 01 Mar 2012, 17:27

TwinSnakes007 wrote:
ActionArt wrote:if I didn't have SI, Modo would be my second choice.
You'd goto Modo before Cinema4D?
Definitely. I like the workflow overall and I do mostly still images which Modo is well suited for. I've never liked C4D's interface. Just a personal thing I suppose.

I'm glad Modo is adding volume rendering, that was the last deal breaker for me because I need it so much.

However, I think we've just begun to see the flood of third party development through ICE for SI and I think SI will outstrip all others if it hasn't already. With SI I don't need Modo at all, just saying, if I didn't have SI I would give Modo a serious try.

TwinSnakes007

Post by TwinSnakes007 » 01 Mar 2012, 17:34

ActionArt wrote:However, I think we've just begun to see the flood of third party development through ICE for SI and I think SI will outstrip all others if it hasn't already.
So glad you said that, I was thinking the same thing. I think the investment in ICE is going to pay huge dividends in the near term for SI.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 01 Mar 2012, 18:32

TwinSnakes007 wrote:
ActionArt wrote:However, I think we've just begun to see the flood of third party development through ICE for SI and I think SI will outstrip all others if it hasn't already.
So glad you said that, I was thinking the same thing. I think the investment in ICE is going to pay huge dividends in the near term for SI.
You still have to render things out :)
And at the moment the weakest thing in Softimage is rendering.
Every year we are at the same weak points and arguments tho :-w
I bet we will have almost 0 news regarding mental ray, another year passed and it will be another ridicolous release regarding rendering.
We still gonna fight with the Framebuffer not updating etc etc.

I am not a VFX guy, but everytime i tried to simulate something with softimage it never once used my full machine cores for some reason. I'd like someone to explain me that.
I have a 990 xtreme processor clocked, 24gb ram, ssd hard disk and a geforce 570. Put for example a lagoa sim in action, my cores % doesnt go above 35% usage and the viewport is slow as hell with 2fps.

Now i wonder whats happening? The same goes with normal ICE too, not only lagoa, just milions particles. Its a bit weird to me whats happening but i never cared that much since again i dont use those things. Still i am curious how people work with such unstable and slow environment. Your viewport is totally unusuable after you pop out milions particles (those things should be handled by gpu in my opinion) but even that you dont have your machine fully used at 100% of its potential.

origin

Post by origin » 01 Mar 2012, 18:52

-nobody works with million particles in view, you lower particle display as much as you can. Just like nobody is skinning imported million poly mesh from zbrush etc
-as far as I know ice is the only fully multithreaded particle system out there.
-if your sims are ALWAYS below 40%, there is something wrong. lagoa/regular trees should eat everything you have (that is 100% cpu utilization almost all the time)...

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 01 Mar 2012, 18:59

origin wrote:lagoa/regular trees should eat everything you have (that is 100% cpu utilization almost all the time)...
Really? I've always got 2 threads most of the time (50% on a quad core) on Lagoa. Are you getting more that that? I'd like to know what the difference is. Maybe something to do with what forces are active or something?

@ Maximus - there are a whole lot of other rendering options available now ;)

I do agree that simulation of any sort is painful slow but I think that's pretty much true for any package. Would love to see some sort of improvement in that area though, however it's done.

gustavoeb

Post by gustavoeb » 01 Mar 2012, 19:11

seems steady over 75% here...

geaven it is just a demo scene and no production example... but still thats how it seems to work here most of the times. It actually gets to 100% many times when sim is way too havy, I guess it must probably stumble on something that is completaly multi-threaded for a good while since there are so many particles
Attachments
Capture1.JPG
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/