Modo 601 Preview

News concerning 3D DCC business
Nizar

Re: Modo 601 Preview

Post by Nizar » 01 Mar 2012, 20:35

TwinSnakes007 wrote:Until they give an alternative to the render tree and multiple hierarchical scene graphs, it's a no go for me.
After a bit of passion, I can say I like shader tree, prefer Render Tree, sure, but shader tree is not so bad as appear.

In any case, read this:
http://www.luxology.com/modo_601_suppor ... atures.pdf

You find this phrase:
"Added support for drag-and-dropping channel modifiers
from the Shader Tree into the Schematic view."
Practically, the migration from shader tree to schematic view (similar to render tree node system), started in 501, now arrived, and you can control your shader in both, shader tree and schematic view. I wait trial for test and, eventually buy it :)

SreckoM

Post by SreckoM » 01 Mar 2012, 20:36

And for Tech preview we have pivot move :D I could not find video anymore though ...

Fun aside, honestly with this Modo 601 release and today Houdini 12 release, Autodesk updates looks really really poor. Bar is much higher now. I hope we will benefit from that :D
- H -

TwinSnakes007

Post by TwinSnakes007 » 01 Mar 2012, 20:41

Nizar wrote:After a bit of passion, I can say I like shader tree, prefer Render Tree, sure, but shader tree is not so bad as appear.
It's the question of time for me, the shader/render tree is so complex, that you have to digest it before you can understand what its currently doing, and then can only can make the changes you want. What I'm trying to say is, you have to study it before you can change it.
Nizar wrote:I wait trial for test and, eventually buy it :)
As soon as they get that working...I'll seriously consider adding them to the toolset

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 02 Mar 2012, 22:23

Mathaeus wrote:my favorite is full body IK. Well if this feature have a half functionality of Maya equivalents, and SI 2013 won't have much more than lattices in animation editor..... don't know what to say. I was enough idiot to hope for something full-body-IK-like from ICE kinematics...
you have confidence with ICE kinematic can use this solution:

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 03 Mar 2012, 00:32

Nizar wrote:
Mathaeus wrote:my favorite is full body IK. Well if this feature have a half functionality of Maya equivalents, and SI 2013 won't have much more than lattices in animation editor..... don't know what to say. I was enough idiot to hope for something full-body-IK-like from ICE kinematics...
you have confidence with ICE kinematic can use this solution:
Nice joke :) I think I have about ten of something like this one, I made all them before ICE age. Hardly I can remember the purpose of all that nice controllers, nowadays. Anyway XSI really is a king of 'no dependency cycle' concept from '90s.
Here is a link to Ikinema, integrated in Modo.

We'll need to see how does it really works in Modo, also, what SI has to offer in this round. I'm still Softimage fanboy :)

origin

Post by origin » 03 Mar 2012, 00:47

Mathaeus do you have any videos with practical use of this full body ik?
I saw this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abyVBv7k2cw

I'm not animator, but this doesnt make sense, he moves arm and head flips automatically?
ikinema website is spammed with motion-capture rework keyword, is it only for motion capture or what?

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 03 Mar 2012, 01:44

origin wrote:Mathaeus do you have any videos with practical use of this full body ik?
well, with knowledge of Max and SI, obviously I don't have :) It seems to be related to Maya - Motion Builder world, somehow. But I believe I'll try this Modo solution, definitively.

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 03 Mar 2012, 17:35

Here a list of all the improvement and addition in 601 release:
http://www.sharbor.com/products/LUXN0300042.html
The mere quantity is quite impressive for a single major release...

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 04 Mar 2012, 00:23

Seems 601 encounter the first issue...
Rendering slow down, and now are about 20% slow compared to previous (501) release.

Betatesters said this is a know issue, the reason is (in short) "more rendering features, more slow process"

Edit: another issue, Modo has not any audio in timeline animation... this is not a bug, the feature is totally absent... here the discussion about (hope can post link to others forum, if not, please, moderator correct it) : http://forums.luxology.com/discussion/t ... lip%20sync

Another issue about 3d connection device, seems navigation with this devices is broken and not work well as must do

Moderator edit: of course you can post links to other forums like the luxology one - HB

Caveman

Post by Caveman » 06 Mar 2012, 09:26

origin wrote:Mathaeus do you have any videos with practical use of this full body ik?
I saw this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abyVBv7k2cw

I'm not animator, but this doesnt make sense, he moves arm and head flips automatically?
ikinema website is spammed with motion-capture rework keyword, is it only for motion capture or what?
origin I thought you did a commercial some times back, didn't you animate then? ;;)

The influence In the video could be solved by pinning one of the joint.

An usage for FBIK would be let's say you wanted a characters arm to reach for an object on. With FK, you would first position the shoulder joint, then the elbow and finally the wrist. IK works in reverse and is far more intuitive, simply grab the hand and bring to the object and the wrist, the elbow and shoulder joints adjust automatically,
maintaining their proper orientation toward the goal, in this case, the hand.
(taken from the help file)

Although I doubt anyone would want to animate only in IK.

Hope it helps.

origin

Post by origin » 06 Mar 2012, 09:30

I did few character animations in my life (all fall into category of crap) and I know what IK is,

but there must be something more with "full body IK", I mean the plugin costs over 1k $$.

dirtydog

Post by dirtydog » 06 Mar 2012, 17:03

lightwave has had full body ik for years, called IK BOOSTER, there was a site dedicated to it called ik booster, but i think it has shut down now.

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 06 Mar 2012, 17:15

dirtydog wrote:lightwave has had full body ik for years, called IK BOOSTER, there was a site dedicated to it called ik booster, but i think it has shut down now.
Yes, modo rigging/animation smell LW...

Memag

Post by Memag » 06 Mar 2012, 17:46

dirtydog wrote:lightwave has had full body ik for years, called IK BOOSTER, there was a site dedicated to it called ik booster, but i think it has shut down now.
Seems like Sega Animanium was also very interesting. I think Mirai had FBIK as well.

dirtydog

Post by dirtydog » 06 Mar 2012, 18:47

modo is the LW modeller and some more. I have owned softimage and LW for 5 years, I personally don't see the point in buying modo especially now as both apps are being developed further.

dirtydog

Post by dirtydog » 06 Mar 2012, 19:18

here is a short IK Booster tutorial showing full body ik setup and action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsSdcMrd ... detailpage