Sparta Project

News concerning 3D DCC business
pdesopo

Sparta Project

Post by pdesopo » 17 Sep 2012, 20:50

Sparta is the world's first sculpting app for the particle

By the level of single particle in one frame
Sparta can perfectly control a grain of particle, because we adopted the pen interface for GUI. Even you can create the animation like a stop motion film. Simply put, Sparta aims to ZBrush for the particle animation :D

Sparta release you from the programing
The node base system and expression are really flexible technology, but it not the technology for the artist. We perfectly replace this technology to the pen interface.
http://spartaproject.com/

It seems there are exporters for Maya, Max and SI. I didn't tried this yet, but seems interesting.

angelous4x

Re: Sparta Project

Post by angelous4x » 18 Sep 2012, 07:42

hey,

have you tried it out yet? seems like it could be very helpful.

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 18 Sep 2012, 14:58

I find it useless for anything else than perhaps motion graphics. The principle behind the simulation of particles and rigid/soft bodies is to respect natural laws as closely as possible. Not modeling or sculpting but simulating is done for a reason: to make it look believable.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

gustavoeb

Post by gustavoeb » 18 Sep 2012, 16:45

sometimes phisicall correctnes gives unwanted results, "artisticaly" speaking, and all you want is push the particles to the side a bit... I myself think this might be useful to people doing effects
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/

bottleofram

Post by bottleofram » 19 Sep 2012, 00:18

gustavoeb wrote:sometimes phisicall correctnes gives unwanted results, "artisticaly" speaking, and all you want is push the particles to the side a bit... I myself think this might be useful to people doing effects
Absolutely! Anyone who has ever had to simulate the damn thing over and over again just because "that little bit" that didn't "feel quite right", will appreciate this kind of application very much. Particles in entertainment are almost never about physical accuracy, but about the illusion that it is there.

Tested Sparta a little bit. Needs a lot of refining. Grab tool is buggy and the application is very slow, particularly cache import. Slightly turned off by this notion of constant internet connection as a necessity to run application.

angelous4x

Post by angelous4x » 19 Sep 2012, 00:44

thanks fro testing it out for us bottleofram

yess i agree.
but seems like a great idea in early stages. Hope they flush the bugs out.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 19 Sep 2012, 10:27

btw Blender already has a set of similar tools. Once particles are cached, by entering "particle mode", particle cloud, cloth or soft body are displayed like trails, so it's possible to edit them like some classic hair system, over cached sim. Of course nothing that can't be done in ICE in some way - but Blender way is just charming...

bottleofram

Post by bottleofram » 19 Sep 2012, 17:29

I was just writing to ask how would you do it in ICE convinced you cannot manipulate particles that way in Softimage... but these are caches we are talking about. I knew you can deform point cloud by lattice, but it turns out you can also manipulate points around with tweak tool for example (if pointcloud is simply reading the cache). Didn't know that! Interesting results with proportional turned on. Sparta does some automatic blending which helps a lot to clear up the effect, though.

I think i remember someone experimenting with a similar custom made (brush) tool directly in softimage not too long ago (was convinced it was Piotrek Marczak but looking at his vimeo page, it doesn't seem so). Cant find it now.

In any case, the idea of sculpting particles has potential. Sparta seems a bit crude right now, but they are moving along nicely. I stumbled upon them a few months ago, actually, on accident. Application took a few minutes to start back than and there was a problem with activation which rendered it useless. No such problems now.

gustavoeb

Post by gustavoeb » 26 Jan 2013, 15:30

here is a video on how to do sparta like particle editing inside of Softimage using standard toosl (no plugins).
the workflow is not as strimlined as sparta, maybe some scripts could help that out (specially miss the drag funcionality in sparta brushes)... in any ways it is a bit more customizable and you can blend between diferent shapes...

Gustavo Eggert Boehs

TwinSnakes007

Post by TwinSnakes007 » 26 Jan 2013, 17:55

Gustavo,

Wow, that is sweet! I really like it and it lets me know I have a TON to learn about animation.

Thanks for that video.

B-)

gustavoeb

Post by gustavoeb » 27 Jan 2013, 07:42

TwinSnakes007 wrote:that is sweet
it is, isnt it? I was thinking to myself... "if only Softimage would store shapes in pointclouds, that would be like sparta" and wtf, it does! I mean, there is no techinical reason for it not to. but it was totally unexpected :D
Gustavo Eggert Boehs

angelous4x

Post by angelous4x » 27 Jan 2013, 07:58

WOW!!!! sooo brilliant, Genius!!!!

Thanks for this share.

andystopford

Post by andystopford » 27 Jan 2013, 17:40

Cool! i never knew you could do that.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 06 May 2013, 04:14

Update by the author.

Sparta with 32 Millions point cloud.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 04 Jan 2014, 14:51

Updated.
Hi guys :D I updated Sparta to Rev.36. On this update, You'll be able to import the point cloud which taken by 3D scanner as PLY format.

Please try the workflow that “Taking by 3D scanner → Cleanup work by using brush in Sparta → Imports into twelve CG software including Maya, 3dsMax, and Softimage”.

Then this time, I got ready files for verification which are PLY format for the user who don't have the 3D scanner.

In addition, I added 18 improvement with 8 bug fix. I thinks Sparta became more powerful and stable than before.
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread. ... &t=1146423

Files of PLY format for verification
http://sparta.online.s3.amazonaws.com/3dscanned_ply.zip

xsi_fanatic

Post by xsi_fanatic » 06 Jan 2014, 02:23

You know what, nobody seems to notice the lack of balance in this thread so I'm gonna go ahead and just say it... THIS IS SPAAARRTTAAAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!! :ymdevil: \m/

Ok now the universe is balanced.