Solid Angle aims to start selling licences of Arnold

News concerning 3D DCC business
scaron

Re: Solid Angle aims to start selling licences of Arnold

Post by scaron » 23 Oct 2013, 04:13

ya, you are buying arnold standalone, not the plugins. you get access to all the plugins unlike like the competition. i think it is for the best, they have a simpler model which scales predictably. obviously it doesn't work as well for 1 person... this is why they have the current model having to be a company and purchase many licenses.

of course all of this can easily change if they decide to start selling plugins, but i don't see that happening.

scaron

Post by scaron » 23 Oct 2013, 04:21

Nizar wrote:Good news for sure, unfortunately is a plugin present also in maya. A softimage exclusive would have the same effect it had Vray for max
i don't see it that way... solid angle doesn't care about maya or softimage market they care about selling arnold licenses. the arnold integrations with maya and softimage can work very well with each other. we worked with a maya shop on elysium and arnold made that possible. i could see maya houses getting MORE use out of softimage because of the sitoa plugin. if they need to get an effect done in softimage and want to render in arnold you can get 100% matched results in sitoa or you can export back to arnold's scene file format and render in maya.

i actually think that solid angle would have been laughed at and would lose customers without a maya plugin.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 23 Oct 2013, 16:56

Good news for sure, unfortunately is a plugin present also in maya. A softimage exclusive would have the same effect it had Vray for max
What scaron said. Plus the fact that Arnold doesn't have a general big advantage against Vray, it is even considered inferior for interior scenes. So it isn't a sea change like when GI hit the industry.

Falam

Post by Falam » 03 Nov 2013, 20:36

Nizar wrote:Solid Angle aims to start selling licences of Arnold later this year. Prices start at €1,000 per single permanent licence. Annual support and maintenance is €225

http://www.creativebloq.com/3d/how-fast ... s-10134785
How later this year, it's already November ?

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 03 Nov 2013, 22:45

Bullit wrote:
Good news for sure, unfortunately is a plugin present also in maya. A softimage exclusive would have the same effect it had Vray for max
What scaron said. Plus the fact that Arnold doesn't have a general big advantage against Vray, it is even considered inferior for interior scenes. So it isn't a sea change like when GI hit the industry.
From what people who used it in production say, I'd say that it actually does have a big advantage over Vray. It scales very well with heavy scenes and it doesn't take a big hit as other render engines do when activating the multi-headed beast - dof, moblur, hair, diplacement, etc.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 03 Nov 2013, 23:32

A sea change means first functional GI not just an advantage in one part of the render.

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 03 Nov 2013, 23:44

Lots of big (small and medium too) studios adopted it in a very short time. I can't think of a piece of s/w that managed to do that in recent years. If that isn't a "sea change", perhaps I don't know what you mean.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

Kzin

Post by Kzin » 04 Nov 2013, 11:29

McNistor wrote:
Bullit wrote:
From what people who used it in production say, I'd say that it actually does have a big advantage over Vray. It scales very well with heavy scenes and it doesn't take a big hit as other render engines do when activating the multi-headed beast - dof, moblur, hair, diplacement, etc.
dof is way to slow in arnold (like in most other raytracer, more or less). displacements using the bumpmap fake to be fast, mb is not that fast like many are thinking. so actually only hair stand to be fast. but only if you dont use a real hairshader with glossis and not only direct specular or scattering contribution. it all is how the core handle such things and what optimization you write in. and of course dont use multibounce gi, in that case it will slow done like hell.

what arnold makes good is that you have the features and they basicly working, thats it. it was not the speed, its the environment without fakes or workarounds to make things work together (workarounds for faster rendering is a different thing).