Booleans with SubD surfaces - Impossible???

News concerning 3D DCC business
cheeseburger

Re: Booleans with SubD surfaces - Impossible???

Post by cheeseburger » 28 Oct 2013, 20:02

Looks great
so simple and fast too

rray

Post by rray » 28 Oct 2013, 20:10

From what I could gather, MeshFusion could be described as "interactive CSG with auto beveling".
If that's so, you're dealing with a load of objects at once, and would need a very specific designed user interface to be able to work with that in a productive way. So ICE, maybe, but without the UI and interaction tools that come along with it, probably useless.
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

cheeseburger

Post by cheeseburger » 28 Oct 2013, 21:33

Yeah, a kind of Mootzoidy type of thing ...
p.s. Love your avatar

NNois

Post by NNois » 29 Oct 2013, 14:06

well... the resulting mesh is pretty good !!!
if you click on their bottom right gallery item here and look at the wires http://groboto.com/showgallery/

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 29 Oct 2013, 15:10

NNois wrote:well... the resulting mesh is pretty good !!!
if you click on their bottom right gallery item here and look at the wires http://groboto.com/showgallery/
so, more or less, like Power Booleans for Max - and.... by courtesy of AD, Maya and Maya LT , too :)

NNois

Post by NNois » 30 Oct 2013, 11:48

Mathaeus wrote:
so, more or less, like Power Booleans for Max - and.... by courtesy of AD, Maya and Maya LT , too :)
hummm, a very little more or less then ;-)

reberhart

Post by reberhart » 08 Nov 2013, 16:30

Mathaeus wrote:
If Power Booleans had user-definable bevels automatically generated between surfaces (which I'm pretty sure it doesn't).

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 08 Nov 2013, 21:36

reberhart wrote:
Mathaeus wrote:
If Power Booleans had user-definable bevels automatically generated between surfaces (which I'm pretty sure it doesn't).
As far as I know, it doesn't. However, by taking the pictures of Groboto work. it seems that Power Boolean relies on much much stronger algorithm. Power Boolean tries to create only quads and triangles as output, usable for subdividing later. Groboto seems to do just the cut on subdivided mesh, where some cuts looks like a good candidate, to be interpreted as non manifold in Renderman compliant renderers, for example.

After all, if someone wants, really no big deal to add these user defined level to Power Booleans.

In practice, no one of two has examples of quality, even close to examples of NURBS modeling through the decades - let's say, like this one, created in MoI, which is 'light' variance of Rhino - you get it for 300 bucks.

I intentionally said 'more or less', trying to be benevolent to yet another nice workflow trick, based on "cheaper than usual" tech, just like the everything in Modo. Except the renderer.

Just personally, if this is all of modeling for Modo 801, I'll get MoI, instead of Modo upgrade.