Booleans with SubD surfaces - Impossible???

News concerning 3D DCC business
perryharovas

Booleans with SubD surfaces - Impossible???

Post by perryharovas » 26 Oct 2013, 22:31

In Softimage and every other 3D DCC app, yes.
Not impossible in Modo, when their new plugin comes out.

Sort of an intro:

and this one is really quite nice:

And this is just insane:

I gotta think that ICE modeling would have a way to do this.
Any thoughts?

Bullit

Re: Booleans with SubD surfaces - Impossible???

Post by Bullit » 26 Oct 2013, 22:47

Thanks. That "insanity" exists in MCAD software: Catia, Solidworks since say 12 years ago if the fillets were done before, you could move the boolean object anywhere, but it were Solids not subDs.

I would apply the Insane Tag to the second video not the third one.

perryharovas

Post by perryharovas » 26 Oct 2013, 23:03

Bullit wrote:Thanks. That "insanity" exists in MCAD software: Catia, Solidworks since say 12 years ago if the fillets were done before, you could move the boolean object anywhere, but it were Solids not subDs.

I would apply the Insane Tag to the second video not the third one.
Yeah, but they are all the same plugin, and they are SubD's, not CSG or solid objects.
That last one has just so many going on at once, and each "strip" where the boolean happens
can be controlled in profile and sharpness.

Really amazing stuff, considering it is SubD booleans.

Back to my original question:

Any idea if this is even remotely possible in ICE?

Pooby

Post by Pooby » 26 Oct 2013, 23:38

I don't think they are subd's. brad said its some new procedural mesh type.

I think it's just taking subd's as an input. You can see that the mesh generated doesn't have a a wireframe in the generated area. First vid.
If thats the case, you couldn't do this in ICE.

perryharovas

Post by perryharovas » 26 Oct 2013, 23:51

I forgot about that part, thanks for bringing me back to reality Paul!

Even so. The end result is really quite amazing.
I have seen the polygon geometry that a precursor to this plugin generates, and it is very clean,
and quads. Brad also stated that anything that can be done with modo polygons/subDs can be done to these.
That just speaks to very good thinking on the part of their SDK programmers. All their plugins and classes are first class citizens and can
instantly share all of modo's tools.

OK, don't want to get too far OT.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 26 Oct 2013, 23:59

perryharovas wrote:
Yeah, but they are all the same plugin, and they are SubD's, not CSG or solid objects.
That last one has just so many going on at once, and each "strip" where the boolean happens

Nobody could answer to you, if you're talking with yourself, which you're doing now, I'm afraid. It's looking like shrink warp, but applied to subdivided mesh, plus some smoothing on intersection. Anyway, whatever it is, would be interesting if is able to do re topology to at least something close to displayed wires, and export as usable subdiv somewhere else.
If not, let's say if result is some heavy tessellated thing, then.... we should be amazed with Rhino 3d, MoI, Zbrush and 3d Coat too. No one 'witness' of these apps, considers to come here with their vision of what's amazing - but some Modonauts, sometimes, couldn't resist.
Last edited by Mathaeus on 27 Oct 2013, 01:13, edited 1 time in total.

perryharovas

Post by perryharovas » 27 Oct 2013, 00:28

Mathaeus wrote:
perryharovas wrote:

Nobody could answer to you, if you're talking with yourself, which you're doing now, I'm afraid. It's looking like shrink warp, but applied to subdivided mesh, plus some smoothing on intersection. Anyway, whatever it is, would be interesting if is able to do re topology to at least something close to displayed wires, and export as usable subdiv somewhere else.
If not, let's say if result is some heavy tessellated thing, then.... we should be amazed with Rhino 3d, MoI, Zbrush and 3d Coat too. Nobody of 'whiteness' of these apps, considers to come here with their vision of what's amazing - but some Modonauts, sometimes, couldn't resist.
I am not sure I totally understand you, but don't worry about it. You are better at English than I am at any other language.

:)

Just to clarify what I think you might be implying:

I am not a modo user. Never have been.
I just thought it looked amazing, and was wondering if ICE modeling was able to do this.
Nothing more than that.

Take care,

Perry

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 27 Oct 2013, 00:38

It is called SDS ie: subdivison surfaces ,the subdivision we have in soft and others are more subdivision mesh/polygons.

At about 57 min it shows the nodal relationship tree.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 27 Oct 2013, 01:35

Bullit wrote:It is called SDS ie: subdivison surfaces ,the subdivision we have in soft and others are more subdivision mesh/polygons.
Pretty much the same thing in Modo, at least for now. It seems to be a habit of people coming from Lightwave or related apps, to use SDS acronym. As well as CA for character animation.
What's called Pixar SDS in Modo, doesn't come without issues, like pre - computing before rendering. Generally something to avoid.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 27 Oct 2013, 02:22

SDS is technical term that i first read when Catia started to offer a sort of subdivision compatible with CAD precision surfaces. It had a hull lattice that could deform the object, this wasn't something possible in MCAD at begin of the century where we had a typical linear process: draw in a new plane/or in face of an existing object a 2d closed form that is more convenient and then make extrude to have a solid, then use another plan to make another solid to do a boolean, then select an edge to do filleting(bevel in softimage) etc.. All this will be in a History and also we could give relationships, for example if we made the extrude of a table leg the relationship driver then we could change the height of the table and the table top move too, same with a boolean solid it could be moved to any place, in beginning it wasn't even moved, it was the 2d plane with it's drawing that was moved and when the solid would reconstruct the would move the boolean.
If we wanted a fancy curve we had to draw it in 2D, either to make a cut or to build something and the curve could not be 3D. Only later started to appear to 3d curves and the work started to be more like a nurbs modeler.

cheeseburger

Post by cheeseburger » 28 Oct 2013, 17:48

Surely we could have something like this. The edging and filleting available in other apps when doing Boolean has always made me green with envy !

SreckoM

Post by SreckoM » 28 Oct 2013, 18:49

Can you provide link to app that does filleting with subd surfaces after boolean?
- H -

cheeseburger

Post by cheeseburger » 28 Oct 2013, 19:03

Max used to, with the help of a really great plugin (I think it was Power Booleans by NPower), Modo now obviously and you can get a similar effect with Rhino, although that's using Nurbs etc. I'll go get a coffee and try and remember if there are some others ...

SreckoM

Post by SreckoM » 28 Oct 2013, 19:13

I know about NURBS, but never saw that on any subd program. I am using Modo, and boolean is not that powerfull at all.
- H -

cheeseburger

Post by cheeseburger » 28 Oct 2013, 19:44

What do you think of the video at the beginning of the thread ?... Looks pretty awsome
I think that's an add on

SreckoM

Post by SreckoM » 28 Oct 2013, 19:51

O yeah, that is Groboto tech. When it shows in Modo will judge it. It looks pretty impressive though.
- H -