Autodesk offers to buy Delcam

News concerning 3D DCC business
Bullit

Autodesk offers to buy Delcam

Post by Bullit » 09 Nov 2013, 01:52

Not really DCC but i think it is significant enough.

A critique:
http://www.develop3d.com/blog/2013/11/a ... de-or-more

dirtydog

Re: Autodesk offers to buy Delcam

Post by dirtydog » 09 Nov 2013, 15:49

It was never going to topple Edgecam, Mastercam here in the UK, also the Aero industry use Catia. With Bobcad v25, v26, now offering a true 4th and 5th axis costing $9500, they undercut every prime cadcam on offer.
I own Bobcad pro v25 and it cost me $1000 and it does all my needs including 3d machining and 4th axis through wrapping, although some of the post processors can be a bit weak. Looks like Autodesk are buying the company for the technology only or to bundle it with their existing software.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 09 Nov 2013, 18:11

I am not so deep into industry like you but i keep hearing good things about Delcam. Reliable stuff, good support etc.

dirtydog

Post by dirtydog » 10 Nov 2013, 00:02

Whether its a good package or not, doesn't guarantee sales and what industry you are in. Companies tend to stick with what they originally purchased, also machine systems such as Heidenhain, Mazak have their own conversational programming built in, for the most part do not need a cad cam package. Take the oil industry, its mostly drilling and tapping on the milling side, you program manually the center drill and copy , paste and change to suit, for the rest of the tools, and on the turning side you use a cheap autocad program to draw out the profile and manually enter the data. 3d machining needs cad cam and also industries with machine operators need cad cam. Its a hard sell as the prime cad cam packages are extremely expensive to buy and maintain, therefore companies tend to stay away from them, and only buy the basic package and add features as they need them.

I program manually for about 90%, and only use cad cam when i really need it, even then I use MOI 3d to get profile info to help me. there is no way Autodesk is going to sell Delcam as a individual package.