3D COAT v3 RELEASED

News concerning 3D DCC business
Hirazi Blue
Administrator

3D COAT v3 RELEASED

Post by Hirazi Blue » 09 Jun 2009, 16:42

The long-awaited new version of "3D Coat", now sporting an impressive "voxel sculpting"-toolset,
among many many other nice features, has just been released :ymparty:

You'll find much more info here

Belated PS: the current pricing ($200 for the full professional version, $140 for the educational version & $60/$80 for the upgrade (depending on your original date of purchase) are only valid until the 15. of July. And after that they probably won't decrease... :-s
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Werner

Re: 3D COAT v3 RELEASED

Post by Werner » 10 Jun 2009, 17:38

Has anyone tried this new version, and if so, how does it compare to applications like Mudbox and ZBrush?

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 10 Jun 2009, 18:39

I haven't tried all the "shiny" new features yet, but I guess it will be hard to do a good comparison of 3D-Coat with applications like Mudbox and ZBrush. I used version 2 primarily as a 3D-texture/paint-program, as I couldn't afford Maxon's Bodypaint.
What I am trying to say is this: there will be many similarities, but in the end 3D-Coat has it's own way of doing things.
I would recommend downloading the demo-version to find out for yourself
where it's strenghts and weaknesses within the context of your own workflow lie... :-?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

giyomu

Post by giyomu » 12 Jun 2009, 03:25

Werner wrote:Has anyone tried this new version, and if so, how does it compare to applications like Mudbox and ZBrush?
As a user of both , I will say that Zbrush concerning the way you brush still work best for me , very natural and smooth , but I start to play with voxel and 3Dcoat sculpt tool and you really need to try it , really some great tools , like the copy tool or clothing tool..

I think there are not soft to oppose as people do with mudbox/zbrush, but 3d coat can be a really good complement in the pipeline.
3dcoat UI will make traditional modeler more happy than the Zbrush one I guess :ymdaydream:

For me as I am doing a lot of very low polygon assets model , for Handheld plateform or such , 3Dcoat has become really one of the pillars of my texturing process, a almost dont go on photoshop anymore , you get immediate feedback on what your texture look on the low poly in real time, this is really handy and quick \m/

anyway I guess the best way is see for yourself if it can have a place on your workflow

sven

Post by sven » 12 Jun 2009, 18:37

64Bit CUDA Version won't start :(