Eric Mootz featured at Area.com

News concerning 3D DCC business
MauricioPC

Eric Mootz featured at Area.com

Post by MauricioPC » 06 Dec 2013, 02:32

Cool interview and tutorial of/about Eric Mootz at Area website.

Interview:
http://area.autodesk.com/inhouse/bts/er ... a_mootzoid

Tutorial:
http://area.autodesk.com/tutorials/empo ... r_tutorial

I actually never used his plugins, but I've seen all his videos and it looks amazing. Such great work coming from only one guy. He deserves the spotlight.

Here is hope that he never abandon Softimage. :ympray:

gustavoeb

Re: Eric Mootz featured at Area.com

Post by gustavoeb » 06 Dec 2013, 04:14

gonebadfx wrote:I actually never used his plugins
you are missing out, great funcionality and support, for a honest price.
GO ERIC!!
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 06 Dec 2013, 18:14

gustavoeb wrote:
gonebadfx wrote:I actually never used his plugins
you are missing out, great funcionality and support, for a honest price.
GO ERIC!!

Yeah ... in the moment I step out of the 'student world' to the 'professional world', his plugins are the first I'm going to purchased. And some Exocortex stuff also. :)

Mootzoid
Administrator

Post by Mootzoid » 06 Dec 2013, 18:48

Here is hope that he never abandon Softimage.
Not gonna happen, trust me! :)

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 06 Dec 2013, 21:12

Mootzoid wrote:
Here is hope that he never abandon Softimage.
Not gonna happen, trust me! :)
Nothing like great news! Congrats on the exposure. Your work is amazing.

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 08 Dec 2013, 16:52

Let me chime in for a moment - I also am not using your plugins (because I don't do simulation work), but I saw what you can do with them and it's amazing.
Congrats Eric and keep up the great work! The community appreciates it. ^:)^
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

Letterbox

Post by Letterbox » 08 Dec 2013, 18:24

1st of all for someone who has done so much for the community and also has kept the product alive and relevant... you got to wonder why the people at autodesk take so long to get around to them.

2nd you have to wonder who did the interview, why such dopey and clearly uninformed questions (the scene is dead? That's why pixar are still funding it?) were asked, when really it could have so much better for Eric, xsi in general, and the reader - a little homework would have gone a long way.

Still, I surely hope the exposure pays off in spades for Eric, it's deserved, and long overdue.

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 08 Dec 2013, 20:45

Letterbox wrote:1st of all for someone who has done so much for the community and also has kept the product alive and relevant... you got to wonder why the people at autodesk take so long to get around to them.

2nd you have to wonder who did the interview, why such dopey and clearly uninformed questions (the scene is dead? That's why pixar are still funding it?) were asked, when really it could have so much better for Eric, xsi in general, and the reader - a little homework would have gone a long way.

Still, I surely hope the exposure pays off in spades for Eric, it's deserved, and long overdue.

I agree with most of what you said, but today I'm just happy they are still talking about Softimage. That gives me hope that I'm learning a software that will give me the chance of work.

Fianna

Post by Fianna » 09 Dec 2013, 03:34

Letterbox - my comment on the demoscene being dead was from an announcement on scene.org from February of this year, that the Scene.org Awards had come to an end at Assembly 2012. It's true that while Assembly and other demo parties continue to be held, there is still something to be said about this decision from scene.org. Also, I can't comment on Pixar's sponsorship - whether this is still current or the site has not been updated, nor can I say anything about the level of sponsorship.
Thank you for your feedback nonetheless.

-Fianna

Letterbox

Post by Letterbox » 09 Dec 2013, 11:22

Fianna - Thanks for taking the time to reply, I was perturbed at the demoscene being called dead, as it is much more than JUST scene.org and Assembly. Maybe you can convince Autodesk to send you on a long long trip across Europe to see just that. :)

As for Pixar, it's again apparent they are using just like ILM more and more GPU tools to achieve what's needed for tomorrow graphics and the "extended" scene is where they are finding staff viz their involvement in it, just like many a game company.

Here is one such example , while not specifically GPU related it is typical of the understanding and ability that's required to develop code, and the dedication of these people.

And both of those relate to Eric's tools, in that the quality of development, response to users requirement, to give the best tools to creatives, to achieve stunning results, and the dedication he shows in his products. Which is exactly what creatives want from software developers - continuous development, while being cognizant and responsive to need.

Which is why I felt that, and all you need do is look at those commercials on vimeo, the article could have been much stronger not only for xsi in this market, which it abounds, but for Eric products too. As it's not like you'll ever see maya/max do so easily what Erics tool can and do frequently create.

Fianna - if your ever short of a story for the area, all you need do is visit the excellent rray.de/xsi visit people's home pages and see the amazing set of tools being developed, you'd have enough material for an article for every week of the year for the area. I hope you do, they too deserve it.

MauricioPC, I understand where you're coming from, I really do. Not long ago, I saw some people who had recently graduated, I was appalled at the level of their output. But much more so, that lecturers had not really taken an active role in their education, nor seemingly can see where and what people are using. I only hope you have better lecturers, either way, I'd suggest that you take responsibility personally and so decide your own future.

I would suggest that you download the demos of Erics tools, and as Christmas is coming, as Parents, friends and your basic stranger in the street, not to get you Pacific Rim robots, but rather the full commercial set of Erics tools, explain that it's an investment in YOU and your FUTURE. Because if you can independently create a kick-ass reel showing ability, in EMrpc, EMfluid, EMflock, EMtopolizer and EMtools, I be very surprised if one of the above said studios would turn you away. I was going to say best of luck, but really hard work and dedication to learning these are all the luck you'll ever need. see PM.

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 09 Dec 2013, 14:02

Hey Letterbox, thanks for the PM.

I agree that Autodesk should give more spotlight to the work of developers as Eric and others who are creating great tools for a great software. I've seen people stop using Softimage because only Maya is getting pushed these days. I was going to take a post-grad course here in São Paulo of CG, but decided to decline because they changed the training from Softimage to Maya. Now, I have nothing against Maya and I know that somewhere in time I'll probably learn it deeply, but I also enjoy learning Softimage and the options of courses are now practically non-existent (I was going to take this course because it was a Softimage course).

Lately I've seen so many great work from Softimage houses (RodeoFX, Whiskytree), that are in level with the major VFX companies, and that's is so cool. They should market that more.

As for Eric tools, as soon as I have the money, I'll buy it. They look amazing and Eric should have more support to continue developing it.

As for marketing ... I've just received an e-mail from The Foundry where they are selling Modo 701 with 40% discount!
http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/store ... rce=Eloqua

Now ... why would they do that? Because they want to attract more users to it. So why Autodesk can't do something similar? Even Maxon were selling Cinema 4D R15 Studio with an $ 1000 bucks discount! And we know that the userbase of Cinema 4D is quite large these days. So I'm left with the feeling that Autodesk simply don't care. And when something like the interview with Eric pops up, I get happy. I'm getting happy with very little these days. :-t

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 28 Jan 2014, 14:06

Well, Eric featured again!! This time for the release of emPolygonizer4 for Maya.

Congrats Eric!!

http://area.autodesk.com/inhouse/custst ... 4_for_maya

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 28 Jan 2014, 17:34

Plugins for Maya it appears there. For Softimage doesn't.

talent103

Post by talent103 » 28 Jan 2014, 17:36

:)) of course! What else did you expect? 8-x

luceric

Post by luceric » 28 Jan 2014, 17:46

Bullit wrote:Plugins for Maya it appears there. For Softimage doesn't.
what am I missing, the point of this thread was that Eric was featured for Softimage

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 28 Jan 2014, 19:52

When Eric Mootz releases his plugins for Softimage he didn't had any support from Autodesk Area. There were no news there. With Maya there is.