Yeah!! Hail to Softimage, winner of three awards at VES ...

News concerning 3D DCC business
MauricioPC

Yeah!! Hail to Softimage, winner of three awards at VES ...

Post by MauricioPC » 13 Feb 2014, 11:00

http://www.fxguide.com/quicktakes/12th- ... e-winners/
Outstanding FX and Simulation Animation in a Commercial or Broadcast Program
JFH_1454PETA: 98% Human – WINNER
Vince Baertsoen
Jimmy Gass
Dave Barosin

Outstanding Animated Character in a Commercial or Broadcast Program
JFH_1510PETA: 98% Human – WINNER
Vince Baertsoen
Alex Allain
Henning Koczy

Outstanding Visual Effects in a Commercial
JFH_1563PETA: 98% Human – WINNER
Angus Kneale
Vince Baertsoen
Colin Blaney
Kyle Cody
Where's AD now? Wake up you dammed fools!!!! Softimage rlz!!!

Congrats to all The Mill staff on this.

OzAdi

Re: Yeah!! Hail to Softimage, winner of three awards at VES ...

Post by OzAdi » 13 Feb 2014, 11:28

Congrats to the guys at the Mill..
a very well deserved award!
:) L-)

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 13 Feb 2014, 15:54

Ah don't worry, they'll brag soon enough and attribute it to Maya. They've done it before.
Not that it has to attributed to any s/w since it's the people that did the work that are deserving the credit, not the s/w or its vendor.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 13 Feb 2014, 16:39

McNistor wrote:Not that it has to attributed to any s/w since it's the people that did the work that are deserving the credit, not the s/w or its vendor.
This could spawn an interesting discussion on how big the role/influence of the software used
in these kind of productions actually is, but let’s not go there, cause we all know where that will end…
:-j
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 13 Feb 2014, 17:00

I guess it made a huge difference, otherwise they would go on another direction.

But anyway ... of course the props are to the artists, but it's cool to see a spot done with Softimage win three awards at the most important VFX event.

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 13 Feb 2014, 17:18

Yes, yes, I fully agree, a s/w can make the difference between a long rough experience and a smooth ride when creating 3d content.
I also abhor the phrase "in the end it's the artist that matters, not the s/w" since it's a big cowshit IMO. Sure, if you look at the matter from a consumer PoV, then yes, the end-product is the one that matters, but to the developers the tools matter a lot as well.
With all these in mind, I still feel like when it comes down to crediting or an award, it really is the people that should be in the spotlight while the tools they used in a footnote. Not including articles directed at the 3d crowed in the "making of " category, where the tools are one of the main focuses obviously.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 13 Feb 2014, 17:53

I'm sorry if my thread came out as the only reason for the award was the s/w. I do appreciate the work from The Mill and I know that the artists are the responsible for such a great achievement.

It's only that it pisses me off whats happening with Softimage. I mean, I'm studying Maya just because if I ever want to work in a company (and not freelance/alone), I need to know it as 90% of the work is in it. And I do think animation on Softimage is better (from what I seen and read).

Anyway ... congrats to all The Mill artisans!

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 13 Feb 2014, 19:20

Nah, don't worry about it, your post didn't come off as anything negative. It is me at fault as I tend to phrase my posts in such a way that only an angry hater would. O:-)
-Thucydides

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 14 Feb 2014, 00:52

Btw everyone can see that Fxguide never links to Softimage in their articles.

It is only Maya, Max, Houdini...

xsi_fanatic

Post by xsi_fanatic » 14 Feb 2014, 01:53

Bullit wrote:Btw everyone can see that Fxguide never links to Softimage in their articles.

Welcome to the world of politics.

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 14 Feb 2014, 03:06

xsi_fanatic wrote:
Bullit wrote:Btw everyone can see that Fxguide never links to Softimage in their articles.

Welcome to the world of politics.
Yeah ... that's a shame. I hate politics. That's why every time I saw an article that mentions Softimage I spread all the way around! Man ... I'm actually thinking of sending my idea of working for games and films to hell and just study Softimage and live as a freelancer. I like this tool! :D

luceric

Post by luceric » 14 Feb 2014, 03:23

Politics? Fxguide is pimping other products like Houdini, Cinema4D, Mari and Nuke. They just post and link whatever they like and how they like it.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 14 Feb 2014, 04:50

The point is that FXguide make links to all 3D applications except Softimage.

See this link, notice what application doesn't appear at right listing, then notice those that appear:

https://www.fxguide.com/featured/the-st ... ng-part-2/

xsi_fanatic

Post by xsi_fanatic » 14 Feb 2014, 07:36

luceric wrote:Politics? Fxguide is pimping other products like Houdini, Cinema4D, Mari and Nuke. They just post and link whatever they like and how they like it.
Sheesh ! Politics, conspiracies, call it whatever you want. The fact is: Softimage has more potential than Maya and Max, but AD won't market it aggressively for obvious reasons that doesn't need mentioning. Worse comes to worse, it's not hard for AD to pay FXguide to have them NOT post Softimage in their listings. Call me a crazy if you like, but that's my belief and I'm gonna stick by it.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 14 Feb 2014, 09:22

I think you are exaggerating Xsi_fanatic. Might be the someone in Fxguide bungled or forgot.
The question is if Maya and 3dsMax weren't linked i am sure some Autodesk mail would be sent.

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 14 Feb 2014, 15:51

Softimage is like a nasty zit in Atdsk's ass - they want it out but it hurts to do so (to their image and perhaps a little to their pockets too).
sorry for the "sweet" picture I'm putting into your minds LOL
-Thucydides