Yeah!! Hail to Softimage, winner of three awards at VES ...

News concerning 3D DCC business
angus_davidson

Re: Yeah!! Hail to Softimage, winner of three awards at VES ...

Post by angus_davidson » 18 Feb 2014, 17:15

csaez wrote:We should backup our opinions on "ADSK does not listen their users" on something more specific, perhaps the small annoying things is a good starting point.
http://softimage.uservoice.com

Just saying 8-|
Perhaps this needs to pumped on twitter etc more frequently. Not sure how many folks know about it.
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

rray

Post by rray » 18 Feb 2014, 17:16

Just a side note because you mentioned softimage.uservoice.com:
I think the site should have 'hot' ideas listed on the first page not the top voted ideas.. these have become very cemented on the first page that way giving the other entries less visibility and making it a bit biased.
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

Eugen

Post by Eugen » 18 Feb 2014, 18:06

csaez wrote:We should backup our opinions on "ADSK does not listen their users" on something more specific, perhaps the small annoying things is a good starting point.
http://softimage.uservoice.com

Just saying 8-|
There's something wrong with the CSS of that page, at least here.

Posted a few things there, Nurbs (of course), and selection improvements. Altough for my workflow this makes perfect sense, those are not particularly fashionable wishes, so there was little response by other voters.
But then, even the top listed wish - native PyQt - doesn't seem to be important enough.
Talking about PyQt... is there some technical reason why this still is not introduced? After all, there's Steven Caron's addon, as a proof of concept.

csaez

Post by csaez » 18 Feb 2014, 18:21

Eugen wrote:Posted a few things there, Nurbs (of course), and selection improvements. Altough for my workflow this makes perfect sense, those are not particularly fashionable wishes, so there was little response by other voters.
But then, even the top listed wish - native PyQt - doesn't seem to be important enough.
I guess my point is that there's still some interest for mental ray integration/fixes, I was not saying ADSK should implement absolutely everything on that list in order of popularity.
Talking about PyQt... is there some technical reason why this still is not introduced? After all, there's Steven Caron's addon, as a proof of concept.
AFAIK: PyQt license, no linux port, some technical difficulties with the PySide implementation.

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 18 Feb 2014, 20:29

csaez wrote:
Eugen wrote:Posted a few things there, Nurbs (of course), and selection improvements. Altough for my workflow this makes perfect sense, those are not particularly fashionable wishes, so there was little response by other voters.
I guess my point is that there's still some interest for mental ray integration/fixes, I was not saying ADSK should implement absolutely everything on that list in order of popularity.
AFAIK: PyQt license, no linux port, some technical difficulties with the PySide implementation.
I must admit that would be great. Having offended Steve earlier this year over the whole ease of installation of PyQt is not something I enjoyed as he has given a great deal to the Softimage community.
--
Wits University

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 18 Feb 2014, 23:25

A good part of the Softimage user-VIPs is on the mailing list regularly. They do complain, but politics says ICE
First. Improvements in ICE have been pitiful. Even today there isn't an official sound node for example while 3DsMax Particle Flow can access sound.
What we have is thanks to Claude Veervoot, Face and i think another user.

Second, it is false. The biggest investment in last 2 releases were CrowdFX and Viewport HQV. So one ICE , another non ICE.

The fact that Viewport HQV failed spectacularly doesn't change that fact. I wonder what they will do in it for 2015...

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 18 Feb 2014, 23:39

Bullit wrote:
A good part of the Softimage user-VIPs is on the mailing list regularly. They do complain, but politics says ICE
First. Improvements in ICE have been pitiful. Even today there isn't an official sound node for example while 3DsMax Particle Flow can access sound.
What we have is thanks to Claude Veervoot, Face and i think another user.

Second, it is false. The biggest investment in last 2 releases were CrowdFX and Viewport HQV. So one ICE , another non ICE.

The fact that Viewport HQV failed spectacularly doesn't change that fact. I wonder what they will do in it for 2015...
Man ... viewport HQV is a mtf! It always freezes Softimage for me. I hate that thing.

CrowdFX is cool ... Maybe next month it'll begin the sneak-peaks?

P.S.: Just saw a short webinar from NKI (France) about their work. All 3ds Max, but amazing.

This one is so badass.

Eugen

Post by Eugen » 19 Feb 2014, 00:01

HQV viewport... never used it. Not missing much - when I need to see the outcome, I use the RR.

But yeah, however you turn it, we feel the scarce dev resources.
And this is not an illusion of course - when an application matures, it's normal to see 'growth' slow down, when in fact it's still at the same rate. Imagine a ball with it's volume growing by the same absolute amount per time unit... But the rate we see Softimage 'grow' dropped way below the initial rate.

What can we do, that little self-help group that we have become? Live with compromises. But who doesn't, right?

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 19 Feb 2014, 01:28

We can help each other continuing to talk about and helping when requested.

We also can learn how to code and be little Motozoids :))

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 19 Feb 2014, 02:12

Don't know if you guys saw it ... but there's even a little provocation for AD suites ... lol.

"Foundry Collectives ... not a bundle, not a suite ... a collection of apps so powerful, so advanced, that you won't want to leave." ^:)^

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 25 Feb 2014, 15:57

MauricioPC wrote:Gotta love the internet ... rumors of a leaked beta. A guy saying that Softimage 2015 has progressive rendering now. And apparently Maya with BiFrost.

I couldn't find anything but I got curious. :D

If that's truth, I may have faith in Softimage getting improved! They wouldn't invest on something they would kill. Let's hope the rumors are correct.
Somebody leaked some videos of Maya and 3ds Max.
http://www.cgrecord.net/2014/02/autodes ... video.html

I google it and found some people who have downloaded this betas and one guy said this about Softimage 2015.
new features i found so far..

-progressive render
-exposure controls in render region and preview
-alembic
-ICE attribute editor
And some other posted this screenshot ...

P.S.: If it's not legal to post, please remove it Hirazi. Since I found on this forum, I thought it could be ok. Cheers.
Attachments
mayasoft.JPG

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 25 Feb 2014, 16:23

if nothing else the wording on the image says it all.

Ice and Face robot. They must have done a lot of work on facerobot to make it billable again.

I am cheerful about alembic being in ;)
--
Wits University

Helli

Post by Helli » 25 Feb 2014, 16:32

Hmm actually.

- Progressive rendering is worthless cause we still talk about Mentalray which no one (?) is using anymore. Imho in production 90% are using Arnold or Vray.

- Alembic is nice but was allready there if needed.

-exposure controls in render region and preview
Hum ? Thats like a gimic ;)

-ICE attribute editor
No idea what that could be, could be the only thing worth it.

But I don't want to be the pesemistic guy bashing. So lets just wait and see.
Last edited by Helli on 25 Feb 2014, 16:47, edited 1 time in total.

csaez

Post by csaez » 25 Feb 2014, 16:41

@MauricioPC
Do you really think that re-posting leaked info you are somehow contributing to something? 8-|

Helli

Post by Helli » 25 Feb 2014, 16:49

sry forget that one ;)

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 25 Feb 2014, 16:58

its likely the actual things will be released soon. last year it took about 3 weeks from the big leaks to the products arriving.

On the aside I still dont like the new icons. While the parrot etc was artistically beautiful the new icons are lifeless and dull. I have given them a year Graham to allow them to grow on me ;) Admittedly the softimage one is better then the Maya/Mudbox/Motionbuilder ones ;)
--
Wits University