Life After Pi Documentary Released

News concerning 3D DCC business
ryanroye

Re: Life After Pi Documentary Released

Post by ryanroye » 07 Mar 2014, 04:40

MauricioPC wrote:
Hirazi Blue wrote:Wonder if anybody will bother to make a documentary like that about Softimage...
I don't know ... I have a feeling that people simply moved on. And that's sad ... Looks like nobody misses Softimage.
I feel the whole SoftImage scenario is having a different effect on the community compared to Life of Pi. A different impact, and hopefully one that will either catalyze some kind of change or at least provide awareness of software companies that actively utilize "buy and dissolve" tactics that destroy innovation and leave users cornered in the end.

When the plug is pulled on software... typically it falls under one of these categories:

- Poor marketing
- Poor planning
- Not enough funding for meaningful development
- Inability to address core user needs
- Inability to keep up with competitor(s)
- Market shift

Softimage falls under NONE of these categories. It produces profit, innovates, has a strong userbase and competes well in the marketplace... yet somehow none of these things matter to Autodesk. Having been curious about the reactions to this from the perspective of people who use other production packages... believe me we are all just as disgusted.

If a production package is going to cease development, I'd rather it be because the developers didn't do their job... or marketing wasn't up to par... or something that makes sense. This doesn't.

xsi_fanatic

Post by xsi_fanatic » 07 Mar 2014, 05:30

ryanroye wrote:
MauricioPC wrote:
Hirazi Blue wrote:Wonder if anybody will bother to make a documentary like that about Softimage...
I don't know ... I have a feeling that people simply moved on. And that's sad ... Looks like nobody misses Softimage.
I feel the whole SoftImage scenario is having a different effect on the community compared to Life of Pi. A different impact, and hopefully one that will either catalyze some kind of change or at least provide awareness of software companies that actively utilize "buy and dissolve" tactics that destroy innovation and leave users cornered in the end.

When the plug is pulled on software... typically it falls under one of these categories:

- Poor marketing
- Poor planning
- Not enough funding for meaningful development
- Inability to address core user needs
- Inability to keep up with competitor(s)
- Market shift

Softimage falls under NONE of these categories. It produces profit, innovates, has a strong userbase and competes well in the marketplace... yet somehow none of these things matter to Autodesk. Having been curious about the reactions to this from the perspective of people who use other production packages... believe me we are all just as disgusted.

If a production package is going to cease development, I'd rather it be because the developers didn't do their job... or marketing wasn't up to par... or something that makes sense. This doesn't.
It's simply because Softimage is very effective. If a project needed 10 people to get the job done in Maya, then Softimage needs only 5 if not 4. Which is more profitable to Autodesk ?

Now you know their dirty tricks.... I feel like I'm gonna have a nervous breakdown ... I haven't been feeling well, the past 2 days have been wasted building up negative emotions ... :(

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 07 Mar 2014, 13:11

xsi_fanatic wrote:It's simply because Softimage is very effective. If a project needed 10 people to get the job done in Maya, then Softimage needs only 5 if not 4. Which is more profitable to Autodesk ?

Now you know their dirty tricks.... I feel like I'm gonna have a nervous breakdown ... I haven't been feeling well, the past 2 days have been wasted building up negative emotions ... :(

That's true. If you take a look at the PETA ad, the 3D team was of 11 people. ELEVEN! And they created that amazing work.