Life After Pi Documentary Released

News concerning 3D DCC business
MauricioPC

Life After Pi Documentary Released

Post by MauricioPC » 26 Feb 2014, 11:35

It's one ... I liked it. This quote is good (separated by VFX Soldier) from the documentary.
Rhythm & Hues India’s Prashant Buyyala at the 7:40 mark wrote:We’ve had to chase a price point that’s been dropping very rapidly and the reason why the prices have been dropping quite a bit, one of the fundamental reasons is the tax subsidies that are being provided in Canada, in the UK, and other places.

Well, I always agreed with theirs revindications. Nice doc.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: Life After Pi Documentary Released

Post by Hirazi Blue » 26 Feb 2014, 14:27

Wonder if anybody will bother to make a documentary like that about Softimage...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 26 Feb 2014, 14:35

Hirazi Blue wrote:Wonder if anybody will bother to make a documentary like that about Softimage...
I don't know ... I have a feeling that people simply moved on. And that's sad ... Looks like nobody misses Softimage.

owei
Administrator

Post by owei » 26 Feb 2014, 14:47

...well, maybe no documentary, but a new website dedicated to Softimage and its users...

http://www.3dwillneverbethesame.com

More info is about to come soon...meanwhile, if anybody want to contribute, just drop me a message!!

cheers,
oli

Dwindleflip

Post by Dwindleflip » 26 Feb 2014, 17:41

Too fucking angry to think. All I know is things wont change. Rich people just dont care
Last edited by Dwindleflip on 27 Feb 2014, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 26 Feb 2014, 19:24

Very sad to see people I have followed for a while have to go through that. Hopefully this will start bringing the message home
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

Letterbox

Post by Letterbox » 26 Feb 2014, 21:33

Does EVERY thread have to turn into a Suicide Watch.

And you then wonder why AD don't accept your offers of posting here...really!!??

Know every day there are people downloading from Redi-Vivus.com, which IS exactly what XSI needs - new users.

I hope realize that the complicity in your attitude is turning those very new users away from XSI to other products should they ever come to this forum.

Seems like all you're doing is wanting and willing it to end, just so you can have some warped satisfaction in saying... "I told you so".

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 26 Feb 2014, 21:49

@Letterbox - while it's always nice to hear from you, I would very much appreciate it, if you could tone down your insults at our expense just a little.

Letterbox

Post by Letterbox » 26 Feb 2014, 23:29

Hirazi Blue wrote:@Letterbox - while it's always nice to hear from you, I would very much appreciate it, if you could tone down your insults at our expense just a little.
Morgan Nilsson wrote: Re: What if Softimage died?
I've been on the lookout for Softimage and recently found this forum.
Now, seeing this is the most popular thread, kind of makes me steer away to even try to get into Softimage.
Q.E.D

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 26 Feb 2014, 23:30

Self fulfilling prophesy... yep a bit of that certainly.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 26 Feb 2014, 23:39

Funny, adding QED to something doesn't constitute proof automatically... ;)

xsi_fanatic

Post by xsi_fanatic » 26 Feb 2014, 23:54

Hirazi Blue wrote:Wonder if anybody will bother to make a documentary like that about Softimage...
I'm sure there's a plan for that :-?

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 27 Feb 2014, 03:30

Letterbox wrote:
Hirazi Blue wrote:@Letterbox - while it's always nice to hear from you, I would very much appreciate it, if you could tone down your insults at our expense just a little.
Morgan Nilsson wrote: Re: What if Softimage died?
I've been on the lookout for Softimage and recently found this forum.
Now, seeing this is the most popular thread, kind of makes me steer away to even try to get into Softimage.
Q.E.D
But knowing the reality of stuff is also important. After seeing the documentary, I now realize that all CG/VFX Studios are just like all companies in the world. They don't care for their employees ... you pass the 30-35 mark and you are old meat, etc etc. At least here in Brazil, if you are over 35 and you aren't a Manager or something bigger, you worth nothing.

That's why I'm putting together a idea of business with my wife. And that's why, maybe if Softimage gets canned, I'll probably continue using. I mean ... come on!!!! If you saw the work of Whiskytree and The Mill on the PETA commercial, you know that even 10 years from now, this quality of work will still be impressive. So in 10 years I'll still be producing great quality work. And in 10 years I maybe can change for something similar.

Hell ... Lord of the Rings was done in 2000 and I still think it has better VFX than lots of current films. The only thing I'll miss is a proper FX solution (Softimage is good, but not the best). Yes ... I could go with Maya or Max, but if AD does this, why would I want to give them more money? So I'll look for Houdini ... I guess that would be the best solution.

owei
Administrator

Post by owei » 27 Feb 2014, 10:24

@letterbox
...you are saying, that discussions about the future of our loved software has driven people away from it so much that AD decided to shut it down?? Really?? :))
First of all, not every thread turned out into that "negative" direction. We had some kind of focus to the "What if..." thread and it is GOOD to have something like that.
Shouting out "The future is bright" does not help anything, because with the acquisition of Soft by AD it was so clear, it won´t be, it can´t be, because it was AD who bought Soft.
To me, it´s the vendor, the owner of a package that is the one who should trie to get users for its software to make money! For seom reason, AD DID NOT! It was not to the userbase to gain attention or a certain forum like ours. AD did not show any interest in marketing Softimage, that´s what we always pointed out and complained about.

Maybe the overall plan got a little clearer now:
- buy Soft
- rip off all the patents, try to put inventions and forces to Maya
- develop Soft on low speed and level = low costs
- fulfill the contract ("leave Softimage alive for min 5 years after acquisition..")
- stop development
- try to draw Softimage people to Maya by giving them a license after killing Soft
...and they might do the same with Max soon...would make sense..

Soft is the best out of the box out there, and NOTHING comes even close by now. And honestly, I don´t see anything at the horizon. I will stick with is as long as possible but also look into other direction...if possible, no AD product ever again ;)

Once again, we have great community and fearing the dead of our software may drove some potential users off. But most who ever tried Soft, began to like it or love it. So, I don´t think that we had such a large impact on seeing Softimage vanishing in the coming years. Its AD fault, an no one other is responsible for that. Don´t blame US for their faults ;)

cheers,
oli

xsi_fanatic

Post by xsi_fanatic » 27 Feb 2014, 13:58

I agree with owei. Driving away a new potential Softimage user does not have an impact on the future. Such a person does not play a key role in making Softimage grow. It's like saying a pack of peanuts will satisfy my hunger and cover my nutritional needs. Right now we are making noise towards the root cause of the problem which is the right way to go.

I would only value a new potential user and his/her opinion if I'm feeling insecure about myself and rely on other people's opinions to stand firm. But that's just me.

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 28 Feb 2014, 18:37

In many ways if it is confirmed its fairly freeing. We have been under this cloud for a long time and once we know it finally allows people to say okay this is what we do from here. Uncertainty is massive killer for just about anything.
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University