Post by Batatalion » 17 Mar 2014, 15:00

migrate to Maya or Max ....

uhnn ...

Modo here I go.

can't trust autodesk.

azurecgi

Re: Autodesk retires Softimage

Post by azurecgi » 17 Mar 2014, 15:10

Surely you can only 'transition' to something else if it has the same, similar or better capabilities/features!

That rules out Max or Maya then!

They should replace the word 'transition' with 'downgrade' :(

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 17 Mar 2014, 16:27

Batatalion why don't you remain in Softimage and change to Modo when it gets better?

thorsnuts

Post by thorsnuts » 17 Mar 2014, 18:36

I know Softimage is irreplaceable... but does Maya not compare in any way? How is it possible being it's the industry standard? I honestly don't get, how bad can it be?

I'm thinking of switching to Maya, because I know it's not going anywhere at this point. We can use Soft for the next few years for sure... but the technology will eventually pass us by and essentially show in our work.

Will Maya not get ICE integrated into it eventually.. or Face Robot?

Softimage is just easy to use... It's an artist's tool. You think of something and do it. Not think of a way to get the software to do what you want it to do. you know what I mean? Is Maya not like that..?

What is the closet thing to Softimage right now? I would hate to go on to another software that gives me no value in the field. What big studios are using Modo as there main software or Light wave.. C4D, Houdini...

thank you Softimage
R.I.P
X(

azurecgi

Post by azurecgi » 17 Mar 2014, 19:01

I suppose we should wait and see what version 1 of Bifrost can offer before completely ignoring Maya. I'm just not that hopeful :((

Haven't Autodesk normally posted up a few 'sneak peeks' of upcoming versions by now? Strange we've seen nothing yet!

origin

Post by origin » 17 Mar 2014, 19:05

azurecgi wrote:I suppose we should wait and see what version 1 of Bifrost can offer before completely ignoring Maya. I'm just not that hopeful :((

Haven't Autodesk normally posted up a few 'sneak peeks' of upcoming versions by now? Strange we've seen nothing yet!
If you're interested in flip fluids there is already houdini and realflow (if money is not an issue)

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 17 Mar 2014, 20:11

I'm thinking of switching to Maya, because I know it's not going anywhere at this point. We can use Soft for the next few years for sure... but the technology will eventually pass us by and essentially show in our work.
Certainly, but if you don't need to go to a Maya studio now, it is better to change to Maya or other application later when they are improved.
Last edited by Bullit on 18 Mar 2014, 09:00, edited 1 time in total.

nDman

Post by nDman » 17 Mar 2014, 22:42

Auto-desk's bullshits about their decision:
http://www.creativebloq.com/3d/rip-soft ... s-31411033

They really serious about this?!! This not an answer. It's a slap in the face. X(

nuverian

Post by nuverian » 17 Mar 2014, 23:00

nDman wrote:Auto-desk's bullshits about their decision:
http://www.creativebloq.com/3d/rip-soft ... s-31411033

They really serious about this?!! This not an answer. It's a slap in the face. X(
God all his says is the word 'transition', and it's easy and it's free. I don't want a fuc***g transition to less potent software. Did he even asked.
Portfolio / Blog
http://www.nuverian.net

talent103

Post by talent103 » 18 Mar 2014, 16:53

This is what I think of Autodesk's Explanations so far.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 18 Mar 2014, 18:11

azurecgi wrote:I suppose we should wait and see what version 1 of Bifrost can offer before completely ignoring Maya. I'm just not that hopeful :((

They already stated and showed what Bifrost is. At the moment is just a fluid sim, its gonna take "god knows" how many years to become what ICE was, and frankly i doubt AD will be able to create something like ICE or better. They dont give a fuck about products, just money. They dont develop, they buy and patch on top of existing software. So they have 0 clue about clean workflow, artists interface, architecture. They are assemblers.

So just forget it, you can mark my words.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 18 Mar 2014, 18:56

That is my look to it, no ICE for foreseeable future.

They are into fluid. This first version they even have to add spray to the thing, which is unbelievable.

Then they will get into viscosity. So put that into Maya 2017 - so year 2016 when they start "finish" the fluid part. Maya 2018 to add the last parts and that is assuming things go well.
At that time many things in industry/market/world could have changed and Bifrost could end just there.

So the ideas that Bifrost will be anything other than fluids are very premature.

azurecgi

Post by azurecgi » 18 Mar 2014, 20:51

When you look at the 'new' features of Maya 2015 you can see just how slow Autodesk development is :(

There is no way they are going to have Maya ready to replace Softimage in 5 years, and yet they are killing it in 2!

I'd better get back to my Houdini tutorials! ;)

XYZ

Post by XYZ » 19 Mar 2014, 00:45

The AD acquisition was one of the saddest day of my life. I knew AD will disappoint because I wasted two years without result learning max before i felt in love with SI which i use since version 4.
you know what I'm doing guys right now?? I'm downloading blender and reading how to become a blender developer.

talent103

Post by talent103 » 19 Mar 2014, 15:57

WOW! That was well said. :ymapplause: