Modo:50% off for Softimage users

News concerning 3D DCC business
McNistor

Modo:50% off for Softimage users

Post by McNistor » 05 Mar 2014, 04:33

Raffaele Fragapane wrote:In a few hours they set up everything for a 50% discount on Modo purchases. No strings attached, just because I jokingly challenged him to.
Go to the online store and use the coupon "raffofkahn" for half price check-out.
From here:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... Dc-b0D3aBs
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

angelous4x

Re: Modo:50% off for Softimage users

Post by angelous4x » 05 Mar 2014, 05:04

this is pretty awesome. and i keep hearing great things about foundry and there customer service.

I am personally leaning toward NON AD products. I am wondering how many places in NYC are MODO shops.

does anyone know?

Pancho

Post by Pancho » 05 Mar 2014, 08:54

Forget about Modo as a replacement. Except if you need it to model solely.

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 05 Mar 2014, 09:13

Just because you dont like it doesnt mean other people wont find it just as good for their purposes. Not everyone has massive pipelines to deal with, or uses ice pretty much exclusively.
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

Pancho

Post by Pancho » 05 Mar 2014, 13:00

I like Modo a lot. Work every day with it. Thhat's why I tell everybody it isn't a replacement of any kind for SI. Except as a Modeler and still life app. I'd rather go back to LW for animation than use Modo at the current stage. But both aren't a replacement. Both are downgrades and it's wiser to use SI for the next 5 years than try to do the same stuff in Modo that you can do now in SI.

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 05 Mar 2014, 13:54

Pancho wrote:I like Modo a lot. Work every day with it. Thhat's why I tell everybody it isn't a replacement of any kind for SI. Except as a Modeler and still life app. I'd rather go back to LW for animation than use Modo at the current stage. But both aren't a replacement. Both are downgrades and it's wiser to use SI for the next 5 years than try to do the same stuff in Modo that you can do now in SI.
Unfortunately we dont have that option. We are just not allowed to teach EOL software for a course ;(
--
Wits University

El Burritoh

Post by El Burritoh » 05 Mar 2014, 16:01

Oh man! Seems like you should be teaching courses on creative problem solving then, since that's basically CG in a nutshell.... hehe! More power to ya, Angus! :-D
-Tim Crowson
High Nerd, of the Order of Magnetic Nerds
Personal Website

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 05 Mar 2014, 16:06

El Burritoh wrote:Oh man! Seems like you should be teaching courses on creative problem solving then, since that's basically CG in a nutshell.... hehe! More power to ya, Angus! :-D
We did a lot more of that when we were using Maya. Creative problem solving on a daily basis, which mostly ended up with me spending hours editing the .ma files. Dont miss that one bit. ;) Will miss Softimages solid reliability though ;(
--
Wits University

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 05 Mar 2014, 16:20

Release 801 is around the corner, If you buy now you'll need the upgrade relatively soon.
In any case, a nice move.

Really curious new release

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 05 Mar 2014, 19:41

Maybe your school can teach Houdini.

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 05 Mar 2014, 21:05

Speaking of witch, on SideFX's forum they opened a section for Softimage users interested to migrate to Houdini. I for one am delighted at the responsiveness of those guys, SideFX devs included.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 05 Mar 2014, 22:11

This was just posted on the Mailing List:
So here's an update from Brad concerning the coupon code for Modo... The intent of the code was for this list as a sympathetic gesture. The code has since been posted on CGSociety. Now that it's out in the wild, Brad is concerned that the original intent of the code is getting lost the further out it travels. As such, he has let us know that he plans to turn off the code in a few hours. Meanwhile, anyone here who decides they are interested can email him directly (...)
(Quoted from here - you'll find a mail address in that post)

PS - It was apparently ONLY intended for members of the Mailing List! :-?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 05 Mar 2014, 22:45

:)

Well, even so, nice gesture from their part, but it's kinda irrelevant for many XSI users for now since Modo is not really a step up or even to a side from Softimage.
If there's something to learn from this is that The Foundry cares a bit more than Autodesk and that's enough to keep an eye on them for future considerations when XSI will become obsolete.
-Thucydides

t4d

Post by t4d » 06 Mar 2014, 04:15

your not going to replace softimage with modo 701 (today version rendering nice, modeling also nice everything in between needs alot of growing up ) BUT i would much prefer giving money to Foundry then Autodesk in the hope Modo can replace softimage in afew years/versions, and show autodesk my middle finger when they "think" I should be using Maya or Max.

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 06 Mar 2014, 06:12

Does anybody knows how it works if I want to buy a license from another person?

Today I don't have the money for a full Softimage license and probably won't have until 28 of March. But if a studio decides to change to Houdini (let's say) and decides it will sell some of their licenses, will I be able to buy it? Is there a fee for transferring the license?

I say that because I WANT to keep using Softimage for as longs as it works ... but I don't want to have to use illegal resources to do it.

Any ideas?

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 06 Mar 2014, 11:44

You cannot sell your ADSK license, so cannot buy a "second hand" softimage license.