Lightwave offer

News concerning 3D DCC business
kat

Lightwave offer

Post by kat » 06 Mar 2014, 11:26

Hi Everyone.

As the co-founder and owner of Liberty3d.com, I want to express my heartfelt sympathies to XSI users and studios out there who use XSI. As someone who used to use XSI and has worked in mixed pipelines with XSI I know how much effort goes into adapting to software and putting your brain power behind it to get work done.

These are certainly dark times for XSI users. As a LightWave3D user, I and the LightWave3D community have been to that edge a couple of times over the last decade or so. We know what it feels like. And it sucks. Thankfully we were able to pull back from the brink. Largely due to user intervention. Sadly it doesn't' seem like anything can be done to change Autodesk's mind and many of us in the LW community have been watching things unfold since XSI was bought by Autodesk.

Today things are brighter for us as LightWave users and there are some great things for us to look forward to. Which is why I would like to extend a special offer to you. Yes there is a sales pitch here, but I have been in your position and I know many of you are looking to switch over to other applications. The LightWave3D user base is growing with many new users and older users returning to it having jumped to other apps years ago during the dark times.

Many studios and artists are dependent on consistency of tools. XSI based studios and artists are no different, and with Autodesk’s recent announcement concerning XSI it’s looking pretty grim as artists and shops around the world consider there choices. But there is Light(Wave) at the end of the tunnel. Having worked in an XSI | LightWave3D mixed production a few times over the last decade I can say from experience that XSI and LightWave play rather nicely with each other. Much like LightWave mixed with Houdini/Maya pipelines, each application lends to the other strengths. Strangely enough, many years ago when XSI was being made created under Microsoft, one of their influences for XSI was LightWave3D – which at the time was dominating the VFX business on TV (and still does today and with good reason). Many XSI artists who know or work with LW artists and are familiar with the power of its renderer and its nodal system - will understand what we are talking about here.

With this said, we encourage XSI users to take a look at LightWave3D as an alternative to the possibility of being trapped yet again by Autodesk management. LightWave3D is at the center of the rebellion in the 3D industry right now and we are a part of it here at Liberty3d.com. (Some may say we actually started it in a way...)

It is for this reason that Liberty3d.com and the LightWave Group have teamed up to bring XSI artists and Studios a special deal that only we can really offer. Liberty3d.com will provide a special 35% off coupon for our training and tools from Liberty3d Citizens with the purchase of a XSI > LightWave3D crossgrade. This coupon is provided after purchase so you can use it over and over again as you grow into the software.

As the top LightWave3D training and tools website in the world, we know that training is critical in getting up to speed on software or an area of software an artist has never touched before or needs a refresher on. That is why we are very proud to offer this to the XSI Community and welcome XSI users to LightWave.com and Liberty3d.com’s communities.

The LightWave 3D Group (Makers of LightWave3D, which is now a stand alone business unit based in Burbank) proudly stands in support of independent artists and rogue studios that like to flex their creative spirit. As a special offer to Softimage users, we have put together a groundbreaking crossgrade promotion that offers a full seat of LightWave 11.6 for only $495.
Simply send us a screenshot http://www.liberty3d.com/2014/03/specia ... d-studios/ after you make your purchase of your XSI License screen and we will sort you out.

Remember, on top of this, Liberty3d.com will provide all XSI customers who purchase LightWave3D under this offer, a special coupon worth 35% off our training and tools for anything we sell in our store under the Liberty3d.com Brand. You will be welcomed with open arms to LightWave3D community. Use that coupon as many times as you like for the remainder of the year.

Learn more about LightWave here:
LightWave Overview https://www.lightwave3d.com/overview/
I know that some people out there will "scoff" at the suggestion of stepping into LightWave3D coming from XSI, but if you haven't been paying attention to LightWave in the last 5-10 years, you might want to take a look at it now.

Major studios and postproduction houses can spend years creating and assembling custom pipelines, often with large numbers of technical staff and at great expense. Those complex pipelines are perfect for companies with hundreds of employees, but can be overkill for the majority of studios around the world that operate with less than 40 employees.

With its powerful interchange tools, including FBX, ZBrush GoZ, Collada, Unity Game Engine support, and Autodesk Geometry Cache, LightWave fits seamlessly into large and small multi-software pipelines. And, unlike other software packages, LightWave offers artists and studios a complete end-to-end solution straight out of the box. You get 999 render nodes with a seat and the powerful View Port Renderer iteratively renders practically the same as the production renderer so what you see is what you get when you decide to commit and throw a shot onto the farm.

LightWave also offers robust polygonal and subdivision surface modeling, interchangeable layered and nodal texturing, and powerful dedicated node material shaders. Add in powerful animation and rigging tools, eye-popping volumetric and dynamic effects systems and an award-winning Global Illumination render engine and you have a production proven pipeline that includes all the tools you need to deliver stunning results. I know, I've won awards with it over the course of my VFX career as have many of the other artists I have worked with over the years.

LightWave has been the choice of countless studios and artists for more than 20 years. Chances are LightWave was used in the creation of your favorite films, television programs, and games. Download the LightWave 3D trial today and see why so many artists depend on LightWave to get their work done on time, on budget, and with amazing render quality. The LightWave3D community is here to support you. We have qualified trainers in the UK, Canada (Toronto and Vancouver), New Zealand, Australia, Spain, and more. In the US, we have people in Los Angeles, Seattle, NYC, San Antonio, Sacramento and soon - Las Vegas.

Try LightWave. If you have any questions, please contact me. Any questions at all.

You can get a hold of my directly at kat@ liberty3d.com or on skype: djlithium

Sincerly,
Kelly Lee Myers
www.liberty3d.com
Co-founder and Citizen

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: Lightwave offer

Post by Hirazi Blue » 06 Mar 2014, 12:58

Interesting offer. One question though: what would you call the "license screen"?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

kat

Post by kat » 06 Mar 2014, 13:15

Hirazi Blue wrote:Interesting offer. One question though: what would you call the "license screen"?
it been a while, but I believe either on start up or an about xsi menu will show your license info. That's all we need as proof of purchase.

kiwimation

Post by kiwimation » 06 Mar 2014, 13:27

I think what you are doing is great. But the problem is alot of people me included left Lightwave for XSI and going back is hard. Split apps, lack of render passes, constant crashes etc. I have tried over the last 6 or so mths to get back into Lightwave, and while it has some nice features they really seam to be going the wrong way about it. I think im just going to stick to XSI for now and see what happens in the next year or two.

kat

Post by kat » 06 Mar 2014, 13:56

kiwimation wrote:I think what you are doing is great. But the problem is alot of people me included left Lightwave for XSI and going back is hard. Split apps, lack of render passes, constant crashes etc. I have tried over the last 6 or so mths to get back into Lightwave, and while it has some nice features they really seam to be going the wrong way about it. I think im just going to stick to XSI for now and see what happens in the next year or two.

I understand some people have that feeling still.
split app isn't something I've ever been hung up on. As for stability, lw 9.6 was really really rock solid. 11.6.2 just went to open beta this evening. If you own a previous version of lightwave, the offer is the same. 495.00 and the 35% off coupon.

With Denis pononteirs plug ins (free), plus expanding third party support, things are really looking up. I sadly can't talk about future stuff in the works (NDA)... But trust that many of the reasons some people left LW for XSI, have been or are being addressed.

colour

Post by colour » 06 Mar 2014, 14:14

As a long time LW user, I think many of us switched to Softimage due to the wealth of character tools, rigging flexibility and ease, skinning to almost anything, multitude of deformation options, simplicity to correct deformations on the fly during animation, synoptic, non linear editing, etc, before even looking at ICE.

I would be amazed to see LW add all these abilities in the near future, but until then, it will be Softimage or (unfortunately) Maya

kat

Post by kat » 06 Mar 2014, 14:29

The door is always open. :)

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 06 Mar 2014, 14:40

As we are still reeling from shock, how long will this generous offer last?

kat

Post by kat » 06 Mar 2014, 14:58

Hirazi Blue wrote:As we are still reeling from shock, how long will this generous offer last?
If you have a current seat of LW and want to upgrade, that will be in place always. Actually any LWG tool that you buy from us you get the 35% off coupon for training and tools from us. I will ask Rob Powers regarding the crossgrade, but there was no mention of it being cut off (like brad/modo) any time soon. We know people need time to think about it.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 06 Mar 2014, 14:59

Thanks in advance (it would be nice to know!) :-bd

kat

Post by kat » 06 Mar 2014, 15:12

No problem. I will keep you posted.

Hang in there guys... =^..^=

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 06 Mar 2014, 15:19

Hi Kat,

Just a question ... and what about student users who were using Softimage? I say this because right now I've spend some money on workshops (character, fx) and I can't buy Softimage for than crossgrade.

Is it going to be a special promotion for us? When I say I'm a student, I'm teaching myself with online tutorials. I have a student license of Autodesk because they were decent enough to let me use it even though I'm not studying at any school and I'm learning for myself.

When I tried to get my hands at an student license of LightWave I was told I had to be at a school. There's no school that teaches LightWave in Brazil anymore, I already have graduated from film school and I already have a post-grad in business, so I'm sure I won't go back to spend lots of money on a school. :D

Anyway ... the good think about Brad offer was it was open to all Softimage users, students or not. I almost bought it yesterday but the money would put a big hole on my wallet and I missed the opportunity. I regret.

Cheers.

kat

Post by kat » 06 Mar 2014, 15:31

Hi MauricioPC.
On this page you will find out the complete pricing break down for LightWave3D as a package.
http://www.liberty3d.com/store/the-lightwave-group/lightwave3d/

If you were still in school (any school, it doesn't have to be an arts or film school) - it would be 189.95USD for an educational seat which you can upgrade to a commercial seat later.
I will ask the LightWave Group about upgrading an educational seat of XSI to LW via this special and see what they have to say.

As an additional bonus, I just spoke with Ryan Roye (one of our latest citizens to join Liberty3D.com) who has produced an INCREDIBLY popular pair of video products covering IKBooster (which has been in LW since version 8 but only a handful of people in the world understood) - and he's offering up as a bonus those videos to anyone who picks up a seat of LightWave3D as a cross grade from XSI.
This is the LightWave community in action. :)

You can learn more about what IKBooster is here. http://www.liberty3d.com/2014/02/the-comprehensive-guide-to-ikbooster-by-ryan-roye/

Ryan also produced an amazing manual for IKBooster in the fall. I think Ryan is about to post here right now, so I will let him explain more.

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 06 Mar 2014, 15:54

MauricioPC wrote:Hi Kat,

Just a question ... and what about student users who were using Softimage? I say this because right now I've spend some money on workshops (character, fx) and I can't buy Softimage for than crossgrade.

Is it going to be a special promotion for us? When I say I'm a student, I'm teaching myself with online tutorials. I have a student license of Autodesk because they were decent enough to let me use it even though I'm not studying at any school and I'm learning for myself.

When I tried to get my hands at an student license of LightWave I was told I had to be at a school. There's no school that teaches LightWave in Brazil anymore, I already have graduated from film school and I already have a post-grad in business, so I'm sure I won't go back to spend lots of money on a school. :D

Anyway ... the good think about Brad offer was it was open to all Softimage users, students or not. I almost bought it yesterday but the money would put a big hole on my wallet and I missed the opportunity. I regret.

Cheers.
Hi Mauricio

You are genuinely on the Si Mailing list so you should just be able to send him a PM and he might make a plan. I am still harassing him about the Educational Offers which I will also start doing to Kat ;)

Hi Kat

Part of Autodesks dominance in the education sector is due to programs like ARC (Academic research center) where as an educator I can get 125 floating seats which I can use on a list of 35 or so Autodesk products (which includes Maya, Max and sadly up until the 28th of the month Softimage) All for the cost of filling in one form and one email. The same question that I put to Brad at theFoundry and will do to the folks at SideFx as well is how are you guys planning on combating that.

Kind regards

Angus
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

mouse_art

Post by mouse_art » 06 Mar 2014, 17:56

But at least they improved stability quite a bit.
I really like the glimpse of new modelling tools which are based from core, but still i couldn't modell something in it now(after using XSI since v4), and i started with LW at the beginning.
Still like the renderer/nodal(even if it's not consistent through the entire app., the instancing/flocking tools.)
kiwimation wrote:I think what you are doing is great. But the problem is alot of people me included left Lightwave for XSI and going back is hard. Split apps, lack of render passes, constant crashes etc. I have tried over the last 6 or so mths to get back into Lightwave, and while it has some nice features they really seam to be going the wrong way about it. I think im just going to stick to XSI for now and see what happens in the next year or two.

Pancho

Post by Pancho » 06 Mar 2014, 18:25

The corpse isn't cold yet, but folks already try to get the widow into bed. Not very altruistic ...

I wonder if Autodesk would have told us that they will stop SI in the year 2025, would anybody have changed their workflow now?