AD: new SI licensing plans!!!

News concerning 3D DCC business
scrubjay

Re: AD: new SI licensing plans!!!

Post by scrubjay » 09 Mar 2014, 13:24

I still do not understand what happens to those of us teaching it. We are on Autodesk support, and have no interest in switching to Maya or 3DS Max. Will I be able to have students dl the 2015 version? If we are forced to switch, I can assure you I will go to Cinema 4d (the integration into After Effects is quite good) or a Houdini with/without Modo solution.

If I taught Maya I would have to slow down all my classes. There is no way to cover the same amount of material in it, I have tried. 3DS Max would need plug ins to make it comparable, and then we get into non-standard versions and all sorts of other nonsense.

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 09 Mar 2014, 19:50

scrubjay wrote:I still do not understand what happens to those of us teaching it. We are on Autodesk support, and have no interest in switching to Maya or 3DS Max. Will I be able to have students dl the 2015 version? If we are forced to switch, I can assure you I will go to Cinema 4d (the integration into After Effects is quite good) or a Houdini with/without Modo solution.

If I taught Maya I would have to slow down all my classes. There is no way to cover the same amount of material in it, I have tried. 3DS Max would need plug ins to make it comparable, and then we get into non-standard versions and all sorts of other nonsense.
This depends as to when it is released.

If your on subscription you will be able to download it and install it in your classes. However the students will not be bale to download the free academic versions after the 28th of March 2014. ie no working from home for them. If your apply for an ARC license now it will give you 3 years during which the students can borrow a license by bringing their machines in for 6 months at a time.

For us we have a legal obligation not to teach EOL Software so we have to migrate. ;( We went from teaching Maya to teaching softimage and it made a huge difference. now we have a mountain to climb again.
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

bb3d

Post by bb3d » 09 Mar 2014, 23:08

My subscription expires in August 2014, so I will be able to download and activate Softimage 2015, but I will definately not renew my subscription.
Now I understand that my license will not expire after that, but the question for me is, whether I will have access to service packs in the next 2 years or not, because I won't pay money just for bug fixes.

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 09 Mar 2014, 23:19

Service packs and bug fixes should be available for download
--
Wits University

Unaided

Post by Unaided » 10 Mar 2014, 08:52

That Autodicks help you with SI license in the future, beyond 2016 is not good notice, and why?
Because they know a software will be dead with new hardware and new operating system updates.
You can choose keep using SI (I will do the same), but I know that I must have been a computer with current capabilities and current o.s. versions to run SI forever.
The only good news from Autodicks is that they release Softimage rights, and put SI for sale. Is the only good thing they can do it. And this is opposite for its strategy.

kat

Post by kat » 10 Mar 2014, 11:11

Unaided wrote:That Autodicks help you with SI license in the future, beyond 2016 is not good notice, and why?
Because they know a software will be dead with new hardware and new operating system updates.
You can choose keep using SI (I will do the same), but I know that I must have been a computer with current capabilities and current o.s. versions to run SI forever.
The only good news from Autodicks is that they release Softimage rights, and put SI for sale. Is the only good thing they can do it. And this is opposite for its strategy.
Quoted for Agreement. too much proprietary technology is the excuse that they gave for not doing exactly what you suggest. I call bullshit.

iMax

Post by iMax » 10 Mar 2014, 11:36

Not sure if that helps a bit, but as a hobbyist I did not buy any Autodesk version of XSI, because I could not really justify it. So I still have XSI 7.01. I recently upgraded my computer to an Intel i7 with Windows 8.1 64-bit. XSI 7.01 64-bit still runs without any issues. Even the license manager with the dongle works fine. From time to time it refuses to work after the first start, but restarting the licensing service helps there. Considering that XSI 7 officially supported XP only (if I remember correctly), this is not too bad. I think there is hope that the latest version will still survive a few years without active support.

curly

Post by curly » 10 Mar 2014, 16:52

Can you still additional licenses of Softimage after 2015 - 2016? That is something that isn't clear to me. I don't care if they cancel support, as long as you still can buy the sofware it's fine with me.

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 10 Mar 2014, 17:14

curly wrote:Can you still additional licenses of Softimage after 2015 - 2016? That is something that isn't clear to me. I don't care if they cancel support, as long as you still can buy the sofware it's fine with me.
For education licences no. For commercial licences I am unsure
--
Wits University

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 10 Mar 2014, 17:43

The (updated) final release announcement faq states:
After the two year transition period customers will no longer be able to purchase or rent new Softimage licenses from Autodesk.
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Pancho

Post by Pancho » 10 Mar 2014, 18:25

Autodesk wrote:This decision is necessary for Autodesk to keep pace with the industry's rapid rate of change and to better serve our customers during this highly turbulent transitional period for both visual effects and games. We need to innovate faster while balancing our investment in the development of features and functionality needed to support new and existing customer workflows. We did not make this decision lightly. Many factors were taken into consideration during the decision making process, including the impact on the Softimage user base. Although the decision is a difficult one, we do believe that by doing this we can better serve the needs of the industry as a whole and provide customers with better product choices.
I wonder whether they know what they are saying.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 10 Mar 2014, 22:04

It is just Autodesk joking in our faces, works with current journos that are too lazy to do anything than post PR word by word.

Autodesk is a giant, the fact "they have to keep pace with industry" that is several times much less powerful shows how badly managed the company is.

bb3d

Post by bb3d » 10 Mar 2014, 22:51

Slimy marketing bullshit like this makes me even more angry. AD was never about innovation, it's the opposite, they were and still are slowing down innovation by buying innovative products and then throwing them into a trashcan. It's like the oil industry buying patents for eco-friendly car engines just to lock them into some drawer. They don't care about anybody, it's just about big business and big money. :-q

nuverian

Post by nuverian » 10 Mar 2014, 23:21

This decision is necessary for Autodesk to keep pace with the industry's rapid rate of change and to better serve our customers during this highly turbulent transitional period for both visual effects and games.
1.Better said than shakespeare
2.You are not serving by killing softwares
We need to innovate faster while balancing our investment in the development of features and functionality needed to support new and existing customer workflows.
1.Your last innovation was when you bought XSI
2.And I bet SI doesn't count for 'existing'
We did not make this decision lig....
yeah whatever
Many factors were taken into consideration during the decision making process, including the impact on the Softimage user base.
$$$
Although the decision is a difficult one, we do believe that by doing this we can better serve the needs of the industry as a whole and provide customers with better product choices.
'Serve The Industry as a Whole'. Please AD save us, or wait no thanks cause I'll pass to another company ("with better product choices" as of now) that at least show some respect and love for what they are doing, cause for you (AD) it seems selling shoes would be the same.

Portfolio / Blog
http://www.nuverian.net

rray

Post by rray » 10 Mar 2014, 23:57

Didn't even bother reading on after the first sentence :-h
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024