Open Letter To Carl Bass, President and CEO of Autodesk

News concerning 3D DCC business
Bellsey

Re: Open Letter To Darth Sidious, the Ruler of the Galaxy

Post by Bellsey » 24 Mar 2014, 23:43

ActionArt wrote:
iamVFX wrote:Reading Carl's twitter it seems he cares more about industrial design
He cares that he makes as much as about 1000 vfx artists put together. That's about all.

Shame on Avid as well for selling to this monster.
Sure, he's a CEO of a large corporation and has many responsibilities, but I've met Carl briefly, seen him talk many times, and get him talking about some of his own projects and he knows he's stuff. To me, you can see he has a passion for design, engineering, and technology

His reply was short and simple and I'm not sure what more he could of said, that hasn't been already.

McNistor

Re: Open Letter To Carl Bass, President and CEO of Autodesk

Post by McNistor » 25 Mar 2014, 00:27

Bellsey, you know, the man doesn't read this forum most likely so you can stop now. ;)
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

aaronkent

Post by aaronkent » 25 Mar 2014, 00:47

I wonder what he uses for his personal projects Max or Maya......

Unaided

Post by Unaided » 25 Mar 2014, 07:58

In essence, Autodicks represents the frustration of a enterprise with more of $2 Billion of yearly revenues, incompetent to do, to make, to create, to develop and to keep up no one high-end software. And is not leading nothing relevant industry with its products.

However is lead in sale discourses to stupefy users that they thinking Autodicks is God!

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 25 Mar 2014, 10:40

McNistor wrote:Bellsey, you know, the man doesn't read this forum most likely so you can stop now. ;)
I don't have to defend Carl, I'm just saying that having previously worked for other large companies, it's actually good to have a CEO that you can talk with about non-corporate stuff and they know the subject really well.
aaronkent wrote:I wonder what he uses for his personal projects Max or Maya......
I think he's currently more of a Fusion 360 guy.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 25 Mar 2014, 14:48

rray wrote:Haha I'm sure this went... "Hey Carl, someone's written an open letter for you, here's something I wrote for you that you can copy+paste for them as a reply"
But do you really think Carl Bass has the time/energy to personally respond to each and every (open) letter from disgruntled customers? Knowing Autodesk that might be quite a few. If he didn't delegate tasks like this that would really show poor managerial skills. I wouldn't fault him for delegating this specifically (i.e. there are presumably other things to rebuke him for)...
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

owei
Administrator

Post by owei » 25 Mar 2014, 16:59

Lets face it, guys. No one will answer our questions satisfyingly to us, though it was worth trying. We all feel left behind and in fact that is what AD did to us. The hole communication coming from AD is catastrophic, once more, and really makes me scratch my head. Why is a multi billion dollar corporation acting so poorly.

So, some conclusions:
-AD kills Softimage without having a replacement ready
-AD wants us to believe they will satisfy our needs again "in the future"
-AD says, that they killed Softimage, because they have plans to deliver "more innovative tools, faster"
-AD kills the only software in their portfolio that already "delivers innovative and fast", so did AD by selling it during the past 5 years
-AD says, that all their goals are scheduled for a longer run > "more innovative tools, faster"
-AD says, that plans might change rapidly > like seen with Softimage

Well...to me the only conclusion is:
You can´t trust AD!

cheers,
oli

aaronkent

Post by aaronkent » 25 Mar 2014, 17:41

Agreed, Owei. Autodesk, the McDonalds of the software industry. Old rich white men behaving badly as usual.

Cheers

AK

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 25 Mar 2014, 19:43

McDonalds?!

And do we have to have racism here?

aaronkent

Post by aaronkent » 25 Mar 2014, 19:52

Bullit wrote:McDonalds?!

And do we have to have racism here?
Hardly Bullit. I mean corporate, with no culpability. A lot of offerings, but most of it lackluster fare. Go look at the Fusion360 page. At the bottom they have a user ticker: 37,681 users and counting. Remind you of something....

The priority is not necessarily the quality of the software, but rather, how many people can we get to pay subscription for real status quo code.

AK

Moderator edit: added IMG tags - HB

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 25 Mar 2014, 20:03

Funny, I was reading a post from Steve Roselle at The Area and he is commenting about the improvements of Maya modeling tools. I loved the quote below.
In 2014 we replaced the legacy Poly Reduce algorithm with the far superior version from Softimage.
http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/stevenr/ ... view-part1

Of course there's lots of other Softimage superior stuff going to Maya, but it was cool. I know that AD has ended Softimage, but I wonder if they decided to make a last offer (without the transition possibilities) to sell Softimage 50% off, would many people buy it?

Unaided

Post by Unaided » 25 Mar 2014, 20:30

In other frame of products may be reasonable but in one product like software application, I think that to do pay for a discontinued software is called fraud.

I think, when you purchase a commercial application software like SI, you pay for development and its future enhancements over all. If this is not present then is like purchase any other kind of product.

Freehand, Shake, Matchmover, Softimage after 2016...
Must be no cost software from its respectives companies. Billioner companies, in fact.

Grims

Post by Grims » 25 Mar 2014, 20:53

owei wrote:Lets face it, guys. No one will answer our questions satisfyingly to us, though it was worth trying. We all feel left behind and in fact that is what AD did to us. The hole communication coming from AD is catastrophic, once more, and really makes me scratch my head. Why is a multi billion dollar corporation acting so poorly.

So, some conclusions:
-AD kills Softimage without having a replacement ready
-AD wants us to believe they will satisfy our needs again "in the future"
-AD says, that they killed Softimage, because they have plans to deliver "more innovative tools, faster"
-AD kills the only software in their portfolio that already "delivers innovative and fast", so did AD by selling it during the past 5 years
-AD says, that all their goals are scheduled for a longer run > "more innovative tools, faster"
-AD says, that plans might change rapidly > like seen with Softimage

Well...to me the only conclusion is:
You can´t trust AD!

cheers,
oli

I agree with Owei. In my case, I will only use non-Autodesk products for my work and for my teaching classes. I will never trust in Autodesk again.
The Future is Gloomy!

Manticor

Post by Manticor » 25 Mar 2014, 22:42

Autodesk sucks