MODO webinar for Softimage Users - tomorrow, April 3

News concerning 3D DCC business
El Burritoh

MODO webinar for Softimage Users - tomorrow, April 3

Post by El Burritoh » 03 Apr 2014, 00:37

This is really short-notice (as in... it was just set up today).... Brad Peebler has set up a webinar for TOMORROW, April 3, at 11:00 AM Pacific time. Since this is very short notice, he's also setting up a second one that will happen at a later date. As it stands now, that second webinar will be April 17. I'll update you if that changes, and I'll post the registration once it's confirmed.

Register here...
https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/346898498
-Tim Crowson
High Nerd, of the Order of Magnetic Nerds
Personal Website

angelous4x

Re: MODO webinar for Softimage Users - tomorrow, April 3

Post by angelous4x » 03 Apr 2014, 01:05

thanks for this. been thinking about trying modo out.

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 03 Apr 2014, 05:15

Registered and waiting ;)
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

El Burritoh

Post by El Burritoh » 03 Apr 2014, 16:18

I'm told there are no plans to record this... Easier to be transparent that way...
-Tim Crowson
Personal Website

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 03 Apr 2014, 22:48

Was a very interesting 2 hours ;)
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

IslandDreamer

Post by IslandDreamer » 03 Apr 2014, 23:38

Hard to imagine any executives at Autodesk having that much intimate knowledge of any of their software tools, particularly Softimage.

Grims

Post by Grims » 04 Apr 2014, 00:59

I think that it was more like two and a half hours!

I really hope that they make a second webminar as I wasn't able to see the first hour... But the rest of presentation was very good and I see Modo as the way for my non-Autodesk "path to enlightenment". O:-)
The Future is Gloomy!

angelous4x

Post by angelous4x » 04 Apr 2014, 01:11

agree, modo looks very promising, if foundry keeps up with the fast improvements and add alittle more ice like implementation. it could be a serious competitor.

i also missed alot of the webinar.

has any one recorded it?

El Burritoh

Post by El Burritoh » 04 Apr 2014, 01:13

angelous4x wrote: has any one recorded it?
Brad requested that no one record it, and if anyone has, I hope they honor his request and not share it.
-Tim Crowson
Personal Website

Inisheer

Post by Inisheer » 04 Apr 2014, 01:19

I'm a licensed modo user (formally XSI). However, I'm really curious as to what he talked about. Anyone care to share some insights?

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 04 Apr 2014, 01:23

Dammit ... I lost it. Since it was not recorded, are people allowed to say what Brad talked about?

luceric

Post by luceric » 04 Apr 2014, 02:02

IslandDreamer wrote:Hard to imagine any executives at Autodesk having that much intimate knowledge of any of their software tools, particularly Softimage.
Yeah I guess no one should be surprised brad knows the one one product he founded a company to create, and then promoted for a decade. But chose your "excecs" carefully! Carl Bass was chief architect on Autocad, Marc Stevens and Marc Petit were both programmers on Softimage. It's mix bag really, in a bigger company you have evangelist to know that suff and do that work (ex: ken pimentel for Max)

El Burritoh

Post by El Burritoh » 04 Apr 2014, 03:00

Brad basically gave a history of Modo (and how the real meat is the underlying Nexus platform, which is what allows the extensibility). Although they could have gone to market with a larger product than just a modeler, they didn't for very deliberate (and I thought very smart) reasons. Now, Modo has grown into much more, but not like a collection of patches or plugins at all.

He then gave a very lengthy series of demos and tried to cover as much ground as he could, answering tons of questions along the way. I actually missed the last 30-45min, so I don't know what happened then...

He was very direct about what Modo can and can't do. If someone said 'well we have this in Soft, does Modo do this?'... if the answer was 'no', he didn't dance around it, he just admitted it. Sometimes the answer wasn't so simple because of fundamental differences in the two apps. Or if a certain aspect of Modo or its documentation wasn't up to snuff, he was very candid about it.
-Tim Crowson
Personal Website

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 04 Apr 2014, 04:34

El Burritoh wrote:Brad basically gave a history of Modo (and how the real meat is the underlying Nexus platform, which is what allows the extensibility). Although they could have gone to market with a larger product than just a modeler, they didn't for very deliberate (and I thought very smart) reasons. Now, Modo has grown into much more, but not like a collection of patches or plugins at all.

He then gave a very lengthy series of demos and tried to cover as much ground as he could, answering tons of questions along the way. I actually missed the last 30-45min, so I don't know what happened then...

He was very direct about what Modo can and can't do. If someone said 'well we have this in Soft, does Modo do this?'... if the answer was 'no', he didn't dance around it, he just admitted it. Sometimes the answer wasn't so simple because of fundamental differences in the two apps. Or if a certain aspect of Modo or its documentation wasn't up to snuff, he was very candid about it.
Thanks for the answer.

csaez

Post by csaez » 04 Apr 2014, 04:48

Having seen both, the autodesk expert challenge (dev and tips) and the modo webinar, I can tell you that the approach from both companies is completely different... and it's not about how well they know the product or how much they can share about future plans, it's about their openess to tell us what's working and what's not there yet.

El Burritoh

Post by El Burritoh » 04 Apr 2014, 05:35

Brad tells me there were close to 100 attendees... That's a heck of a turnout on such short notice! :D
-Tim Crowson
Personal Website