PluralSight Buys Digital-Tutors For $45 Million

News concerning 3D DCC business

EricTRocks

Re: PluralSight Buys Digital-Tutors For $45 Million

Post by EricTRocks » 10 Apr 2014, 15:05

Maybe this means they'll be able to afford to pay actual trained professionals to create their tutorials now.
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

OzAdi

Post by OzAdi » 10 Apr 2014, 16:15

it's amazing to me that digital-tutors is worth actually more than what AD paid for Softimage..

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 10 Apr 2014, 16:16

EricTRocks wrote:Maybe this means they'll be able to afford to pay actual trained professionals to create their tutorials now.

For intro things I don't think the tutorials are all that bad. And there's so nice artists in there (specially for FX training).

IslandDreamer

Post by IslandDreamer » 10 Apr 2014, 16:51

EricTRocks wrote:Maybe this means they'll be able to afford to pay actual trained professionals to create their tutorials now.
I agree some of the Digital Tutors work is poor, but I've found many training videos created by accomplished vfx professionals to be unwatchable. Sadly, most artists are not great communicators, much less educators.

EricTRocks

Post by EricTRocks » 10 Apr 2014, 16:59

I find the fact that these guys have been able to mooch money off people by training them with 0 actual production experience is deceitful. Whenever you question them on their forums or even in person, they avoid the issue and change topics or don't even respond. They know what they are doing. What kind of background to they have that even qualifies them as an educator? Any of them have teaching degrees?

Everyone is free to do what they want, pay money for material from people who don't have actual experience, create material and sell it as if you knew how things worked in production when you actually don't.

However, if you're asked point blank what your background is in terms of production experience, don't change subjects, or leave the topic unanswered. The people who are buying the material have a right to know. I'm betting most people simply trust that they know what they are talking about because why would a training company not hire people who actually know what they are talking about?
Eric Thivierge

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 10 Apr 2014, 18:17

It works both ways ;) Some educators are technically not as good, but much better at enabling others to understand. Some vfx artists are very good but very poor educators. Sadly there are very few who are great in both camps and even less have time to make videos.

Its one of the ironies of being in the technical side of education , if you do your job well you are out skilled by your students and happy about the fact.

Most formal online training DT included is rarely useful for in depth stuff. but as far as introductions to subject go they can be very useful.
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 10 Apr 2014, 18:33

I find the training from CGS much better, but than again, much more expensive. For intro to the software, like now, to learn Maya. I guess DT is okay, but after that you should go after what you want to specialize in other trainings.

I've seen some training from SimplyMaya and Lynda that I liked, but in comparison, the intros from DT are better than this ones. Intro like from 0 start.

I really like how Louis Marcoux explains his stuff in the 3ds Max sessions.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 10 Apr 2014, 18:45

I have rarely seen good tutorials on video. They are always too long. I prefer video tutorials from amateurs because they aren't doing a job so they don't have to claim this tutorials last xxx hours.

Usually i prefer written tutorials.

cgcris

Post by cgcris » 13 Apr 2014, 02:40

However, if you're asked point blank what your background is in terms of production experience, don't change subjects, or leave the topic unanswered. The people who are buying the material have a right to know. I'm betting most people simply trust that they know what they are talking about because why would a training company not hire people who actually know what they are talking about?
There a LOT of CG/3D teachers out there without much industry experience, that doesn't mean they can't teach 3D. Their videos some are more basic than other but I still think there is a place for them. Sometimes you only need to understand some software basics and DT are not too bad at this. I consider them more of small intro before diving into the more serious titles. It has helped me though, and I found them similar to Lynda.com in style.

Also think of people that are just starting to learn 3D, you can't throw them to a Cgworkshop of "Python in Maya(or whatever)" on day one...

EricTRocks

Post by EricTRocks » 13 Apr 2014, 03:47

Yes there are a lot of 3D educators out there as you say. I'll hold them to the same standards as I do DT. Give your background experience, answer questions about that experience, and don't hide it. From there it is the student's choice. There is a place for the simple intros and basics, and sure DT gets that done semi well. They are just selling people this material under the impression they have experience and hide the fact they don't. That is my issue.

Personally, if I were going to learn a new piece of software and had a choice to take an introductory course with DT with no professional background, versus another training course that was double the cost but was from an experience professional with a proven background, I'd gladly pay double.

I actually spent money on the DT intro to Softimage rigging material years and years ago. Was pretty happy until I got to the end of the tutorial, grabbed the leg control and pulled it away from the body only to see the foot was pulling away from the rest of the leg. I did exactly what they said and it turns out they had no clue on how to build a simple yet solid rig. Wasted time and money right there. As a student I took that material as professional quality training, even if it was intro. Got a chance to ask them in person at Siggraph what background they had and only got my questions dodged and ignored.
Eric Thivierge