PluralSight Buys Digital-Tutors For $45 Million

News concerning 3D DCC business
EricTRocks

Re: PluralSight Buys Digital-Tutors For $45 Million

Post by EricTRocks » 13 Apr 2014, 03:47

Yes there are a lot of 3D educators out there as you say. I'll hold them to the same standards as I do DT. Give your background experience, answer questions about that experience, and don't hide it. From there it is the student's choice. There is a place for the simple intros and basics, and sure DT gets that done semi well. They are just selling people this material under the impression they have experience and hide the fact they don't. That is my issue.

Personally, if I were going to learn a new piece of software and had a choice to take an introductory course with DT with no professional background, versus another training course that was double the cost but was from an experience professional with a proven background, I'd gladly pay double.

I actually spent money on the DT intro to Softimage rigging material years and years ago. Was pretty happy until I got to the end of the tutorial, grabbed the leg control and pulled it away from the body only to see the foot was pulling away from the rest of the leg. I did exactly what they said and it turns out they had no clue on how to build a simple yet solid rig. Wasted time and money right there. As a student I took that material as professional quality training, even if it was intro. Got a chance to ask them in person at Siggraph what background they had and only got my questions dodged and ignored.
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken