Softimage 2015 released

News concerning 3D DCC business
MauricioPC

Re: Softimage 2015 released

Post by MauricioPC » 16 Apr 2014, 01:20

IslandDreamer wrote:I've got an embarrassingly slow video card and progressive rendering in SI 2015's render preview is awesome. :-bd
I downloaded both trials (Max and Maya 2015). I still cannot believe that for simple render, when you start rendering, you have to stop using your mouse because if you click on any place, it looks like the software will crash.

Why can't be implemented the Softimage way, where you can render on a window (render region) and still have responsiveness on the menus, windows, etc etc. (for people with low money on hardware, this is so helpful). Here when I render I need to leave the computer and do something else (if the render is going to take a while).

Kzin

Post by Kzin » 16 Apr 2014, 01:38

mila should be usable in si, also when its not integrated directly.
most interesting feature should be the new gi which can run on gpu and the light IS which speed up the rendering with many lights alot. not to mention the now working builtin_ibl. it should be used with the mr env shader "mip_lookup_spherical", otherwise the sampling is noisy like hell, would need a rewrite of the normal si env shader i think (which, i guess, will not happen ;) ).

example string for the builtin_ibl:

"environment lighting mode" "light"
"environment lighting cache" on
"environment lighting quality" 0.3
"environment lighting resolution" 512
"environment lighting scale" 1.0
"environment lighting shader samples" 8
"environment lighting shadow" "transparent"

for the new gi you can use these strings:

"gi gpu" on
"gi gpu passes" 4
"gi gpu presample depth" 4
"gi gpu depth" 4
"gi gpu presample density" 0.2
"gi gpu filter" 1.0
"gi gpu rays" 250

and the strings for light IS:

"light importance sampling" "all"
"light importance sampling quality" 1.0
"light importance sampling variance" "tolerance"
"light importance sampling precomp" on

quality can be reduced with many lights alot. i had a simpler testscene with several 100 lights and i could use a value of 0.2 that reduces the generated shadow rays alot (classroom testscene with 6 neon arealights rendered 30 percent faster only because of light IS for example). the precomp makes only sense when using textured arealights (which we dont have in si as far as i know, because i cant assign a texture to a normal light, there is no projection, perhaps someone knows a solution?).

and for the new gi, keep in mind its not feature complete (and yes, we will not see the full featured version in si ever), spec for example is done thru fg spec rays atm (will change in the future), and several other features are missing.

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 16 Apr 2014, 02:53

problem with MILA missing from AD implementation is we dont have a User interface. I dont think they gonna be able to be used without AD implementing it but i might be wrong.

Kzin

Post by Kzin » 16 Apr 2014, 09:34

Maximus wrote:problem with MILA missing from AD implementation is we dont have a User interface. I dont think they gonna be able to be used without AD implementing it but i might be wrong.
the userinterface is fine sofar.
you can change the layerorder, thats the most important feature you need when using the layer node itself. but you will not have mila shader phenoms like you have in maya now, thats a problem for beginner. BUT, it was clear, besides the eol of si, that we would not got a integration of mila i guess (and keep in mind what you get in maya now, new feature integration wise, it is all nvidiaARC's work, so ad also did not "much" for it and for future things arc is completely responsible for the integration).

Lord Futzi Voldemort

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 17 Apr 2014, 15:59

Funny side note: work on SI obviously stopped 2 months before release. Now you know what to expect in terms of maintenance for the next two years ;)
I'm now part of an endangered species...

grendizer

Post by grendizer » 18 Apr 2014, 01:17

how do you know that?

Lord Futzi Voldemort

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 19 Apr 2014, 15:38

grendizer wrote:how do you know that?
The package date of the installer archive.

luceric

Post by luceric » 19 Apr 2014, 15:47

Lord Futzi Voldemort wrote:
it's like that for every autodesk product, the golds were made two months ago

Lord Futzi Voldemort

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 19 Apr 2014, 19:47

luceric wrote:
Lord Futzi Voldemort wrote:
it's like that for every autodesk product, the golds were made two months ago
Instead of extensive testing, yes we know ;)
And even so it doesn't seem to be possible to provide the download at release time in the subscription center...