Unreal Engine for free

News concerning 3D DCC business
gaboraa

Re: Unreal Engine for free

Post by gaboraa » 05 Mar 2015, 11:14

pluMmet wrote:One needs only do a youtube search for Unity 3d tutorials then one for Unreal Engine Tutorials it won't take but a few moments to see why Unity wins hands down...
If we apply this logic on 3D apps, at the end of the day, 3D Max and Cinema 4D wins :)

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 05 Mar 2015, 11:44

gaboraa wrote:
pluMmet wrote:One needs only do a youtube search for Unity 3d tutorials then one for Unreal Engine Tutorials it won't take but a few moments to see why Unity wins hands down...
If we apply this logic on 3D apps, at the end of the day, 3D Max and Cinema 4D wins :)

Or Softimage vs Maya tut availability for example ;)
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 05 Mar 2015, 11:54

It is said that Modo was shown at the Epic booth. Let's wait and see when they put it online. Could turn out to be the perfect combo (Modo + UE4).

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 05 Mar 2015, 12:32

A behind the scenes into the Kite Tech Demo.

http://www.twitch.tv/unrealengine/b/632598238

** starts at the 45 minute mark.

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 05 Mar 2015, 18:40

dwigfor wrote:Wow.
I think in this case, 'Wow' might be an understatement :D

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 07 Mar 2015, 00:01

pluMmet wrote: It's the same logic that tells me that Houdini sucks @ Character animation but is great at Rigging.
When it comes to rigging, nothing significantly more than with ICE kinematics, I'm afraid - where we already sow nice examples and tuts, but generally ICE kine wasn't even close to ability to compete against standard, proven SI system. Unless someone will put an Herculean effort, to create complete system for easy and reliable usage by one-man-bands (last hope is Maxon) - in mentioned one-man-band category, could be rounded to 'sucks at both'. Typical chicken-egg problem, theoretically should work, but without real support, only optimistic statements here and there. Too 'off' for experienced animators, gives some hope to outsiders who can't even recognize real problems .

nDman

Post by nDman » 08 Mar 2015, 03:41

iamVFX wrote:But apparently the engine is blocked for some countries, Iran is for sure.
True, but so silly.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 10 Apr 2015, 23:28

gaboraa

Post by gaboraa » 11 Apr 2015, 08:49

Mathaeus wrote: Unless someone will put an Herculean effort, to create complete system for easy and reliable usage by one-man-bands (last hope is Maxon).
They added the ability to move objects in their local space very recently, if I am not mistaken, R13 was the version. Creating such a system for rigging and animation has always been out of their league. Even if they do, I wouldn't consider using it.

Draise

Post by Draise » 11 Apr 2015, 18:40

Most game engines do not exist for rigging and animation..... no?

Unless something like Blender with it's BGE incorporates fully into the main DCC side of things - then compiles games from it there... then it would make sense that a game engine do rigging and animation.

The typical workflow is rig and animate elsewhere, import, then run the logic and graphics through the engine. Well.. that is what I thought?

What game engine does full on rigging, constraints, springs, keyframe and NL animation? With.. Vertex shapes creation and all the rest? What are you comparing this to?

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 11 Apr 2015, 22:25

Draise wrote: What are you comparing this to?
I think gaboraa replied to my reply, which replied :) to a bit off topic comment about exporting engine of some 3d app.
Anyway I think it is interesting what they used for terrain generation : photogrammetry and zbrush for post-processing. Who don't like procedural approach that much, will see the 'Creating Assets for The Open World Demo' article, as a "new silver bullet into half dead body of procedural vampire" :)

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 13 Apr 2015, 10:42

Mathaeus wrote:
Who don't like procedural approach that much, will see the 'Creating Assets for The Open World Demo' article, as a "new silver bullet into half dead body of procedural vampire" :)
Sorry has to be said. Quote of the year ;)
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 13 Apr 2015, 16:08

angus_davidson wrote:
Mathaeus wrote:
Who don't like procedural approach that much, will see the 'Creating Assets for The Open World Demo' article, as a "new silver bullet into half dead body of procedural vampire" :)
Sorry has to be said. Quote of the year ;)
Thank You kindly :) - but there's a lot of time to the end of year, maybe I'll do better :)

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 30 Jun 2015, 23:44

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 01 Jul 2015, 00:47

@Built That is truly a post that needs no words as a prelude to the film. Koola does some stunning work with Unreal Engine! That to me is almost as 'photo real' as it gets. If Epic would start to add other areas of DCC apps to UE4, I think they could find themselves a stronghold in a particular market sector, as in, being able to create most things within UE4 would be neat and a possible game changer.