Autodesk acquires Solid Angle

News concerning 3D DCC business
Rork

Re: Autodesk acquires Solid Angle

Post by Rork » 18 Apr 2016, 16:26

Ouch... Right in the feels.... :((
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

Boiler

Post by Boiler » 18 Apr 2016, 16:44

~x( Noooooo way !!!

nodeway

Post by nodeway » 18 Apr 2016, 17:19

:D

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 18 Apr 2016, 17:22

At a loss for words... 8-}

PS - Actually I can think of quite a lot of possible responses to this news, but I feel obliged to censor myself...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 18 Apr 2016, 17:36

End of support for Softimage obviously.

bb3d

Post by bb3d » 18 Apr 2016, 17:39

So, it's now "Sold Angel"?

The future of Arnold is bright... and that of Mentalray is very dark.

Luckily they didn't acquire Redshift, that would have been a real kick in the balls, while Arnold is not important for me personally, but I am disappointed about Marcos Fajardo selling his soul to the devil.

However, this collides a little bit with the older announcement about "aggressively" developing an inhouse renderer: http://www.si-community.com/community/v ... f=5&t=6193

Ironically, Brecht van Lommel, the mastermind behind the Cycles renderer is now an Autodesk employee too. Currently Solid Angle tolerates him working on non-rendering parts of Blender in his free time, but if this should change now, he has to make a choice between profit and open souce idealism.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 18 Apr 2016, 17:43

Kiss goodbye to Softimage and Houdini versions at least...

xsi_fanatic

Post by xsi_fanatic » 18 Apr 2016, 17:49

So they don't have the money to continue developing Softimage, but they have money to acquire Arnold which was partially tailored towards Softimage ? This acquisition reveals just how dishonest they are towards their clients, in particular Softimage users.

Can AD at least make some effort into being less transparent next time it plans to pursue a decision ?

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 18 Apr 2016, 18:17

what the fuck?

rray

Post by rray » 18 Apr 2016, 18:40

Quoting Marcos from today (on the SItoA mailing list)

[..]

I'll say it again:

We are fully committed to supporting all platforms. Including Softimage, as i said two years ago at FMX in Stuttgart. You all know that I kept my word. We have updated SItoA with all the new bells and whistles of the most recent Arnold core, and we will continue to do so for as long as it makes sense to our customers. Within reason. I don't think we will support SItoA 10 years from now, perhaps not even 5 years from now. I am sure you all will understand

[..]

what will happen to soft, which we still use every day, with arnold?

See above. I'm committed to supporting Softimage as we've been doing for the last two years. Heck, i even included Sehsucht's amazing SItoA work in our announcement page, and pointed fxguide towards its making of video. Nobody picked on that, did you?
[..]
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

gaboraa

Post by gaboraa » 18 Apr 2016, 20:10

Now I understand why AD tries to separate Mental ray completely from Maya with each release after 2014. Now Mental ray lights are separately added to the scene which is not the case with the older releases...

gaboraa

Post by gaboraa » 18 Apr 2016, 20:14

bb3d wrote:Luckily they didn't acquire Redshift, that would have been a real kick in the balls, while Arnold is not important for me personally, but I am disappointed about Marcos Fajardo selling his soul to the devil.
Never too late for such a thing to happen. Also I am positive they try to buy a physical renderer if they have not bought anything yet

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 18 Apr 2016, 20:59

Yes, i am sure Autodesk is after a GPU render

Helli

Post by Helli » 18 Apr 2016, 21:56

Marcos can promise as much as he wants.

If Autodesk tells him to stop developing for Softimage cause they dont want to invest that money then he has to stop it.

And about Marcos
If there are enough digits on that check everyone of us would take it. No need to complain or blame him for it.

jamination

Post by jamination » 18 Apr 2016, 22:40

I can't see anyone blaming the dude for taking the cash, who here wouldn't, there are no guarantees in this business and you can only do it for so long, if you don't see that then you are not old enough to see your own end yet (I know I couldn't when i started, but I can now). The problem is the funnel all points to autodesk and it has been beyond the tipping point a long time ago, they just own to much of the industry assets, my limited vision can not see it changing just more in the same direction.

If this happened to Redshift instead of Solid Angle while I would be upset it certainly it wouldn't turn my world upside down because it really is to be expected. I think the mentality of the little guys is to get the big payday from Autodesk.
Last edited by jamination on 18 Apr 2016, 22:46, edited 1 time in total.
Phil Harbath
Jamination Productions

AceMastermind

Post by AceMastermind » 18 Apr 2016, 22:45

Manticor wrote:I feel sorry for Steven Blair ....
indeed :(