Redshift 2.0

News concerning 3D DCC business
Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Redshift 2.0

Post by Hirazi Blue » 04 Jul 2016, 17:31

According to fxguide the second incarnation of Redshift now has been officially released...
Redshift has released a new version of their GPU-accelerated biased renderer which runs on NVIDIA GPUs. New features include initial Open VDB support, new BRDFs (GGX and Beckmann/CookTorrance), new and improved SSS models, a new and more intuitive PBR-based Redshift Material, and more.

The new version also debuts integration with 3ds Max, with Houdini and Cinema 4D support coming later this year.
Key Redshift 2.0 features
  • Volumetrics (OpenVDB) – Render clouds, smoke, fire and other volumetric effects with production-quality results (initial support for OpenVDB volume containers).
  • Nested dielectrics – Accurately simulate the intersection of transparent materials with realistic results and no visual artifacts.
  • New BRDFS and linear glossiness response – Model a wider variety of metallic and reflective surfaces via the latest and greatest in surface shading technologies (GGX and Beckmann/CookTorrance BRDFs).
  • New SSS models and single scattering – Attain more realistic results with support for improved subsurface scattering models and single-scattering.
  • Redshift Material – Utilize a more intuitive, PBR-based main material, featuring effects such as dispersion/chromatic aberration.
  • Multiple dome lights – Combine multiple dome lights to create more compelling lighting.
    alSurface support – Access full support for the Arnold shader without having to port settings.
  • Baking – Save considerable amounts of rendering time with baking for lighting and AOVs.
New release sale Redshift is offering 20% off new Redshift licenses for two weeks from 5th July, 2016.
(All quoted from here)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

mc_axe

Re: Redshift 2.0

Post by mc_axe » 26 Jul 2016, 14:40

Did anyone tested baking feature yet?

Is it only to improove render times with light baking?
or you can save for example an AO render to UV space?

julius

Post by julius » 26 Jul 2016, 21:29

I tested : "baking" is tuned to improove render times with light baking.
But Redshift works with rendermap, so you can save an AO render to uv space too.

mattmos

Post by mattmos » 26 Jul 2016, 21:56

Baking works well, saved my skin on a recent project where we were camera projecting background textures, but then had to animate a moving camera past where the projection ended - baked ti out, bit of photoshop to fix the missing areas and worked a treat.

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 26 Jul 2016, 22:07

julius wrote:I tested : "baking" is tuned to improove render times with light baking.
But Redshift works with rendermap, so you can save an AO render to uv space too.
I need to upgrade to 2.0 for that integration , right?

julius

Post by julius » 26 Jul 2016, 22:57

don't remember that.
there is a thread with RS 2.0 new features on the RS forum. Take a look at this or in your property menu : you should see a "redshift rendermap" option.

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 26 Jul 2016, 23:09

julius wrote:don't remember that.
there is a thread with RS 2.0 new features on the RS forum. Take a look at this or in your property menu : you should see a "redshift rendermap" option.
Yep its not there i still have the first version i got 1.3.26
That alone is good reason to upgrade :P

thx anyhow!

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 05 Oct 2016, 03:42

some xsi specific fixes on versions > 2.0

[XSI] Added Redshift_ApplyMaterialID command
[XSI] Fixed bug that would ignore the texture filtering property overrides on normal, environment and camera map map shaders
[XSI] Added initial support for RenderMap baking
[XSI] Fixed bug that would prevent blending of RS Skin materials (bug introduced in 2.0.11)
[XSI] Fixed bug that would produce crashes during baking with multiple GPUs
[XSI] Modified (and hopefully fixed) code that was producing a crash during baking. More info here: https://www.redshift3d.com/forums/viewthread/6134/
[XSI] Fixed bug that would prevent blending of RS Skin materials (bug introduced in 2.0.11)
[XSI] Fixed bug that would produce crashes during baking with multiple GPUs
[XSI] Fixed bug that prevented certain Matte options from being correctly set on strands and hair
[XSI] Fixed bug that resulted in a script error when attempting to assign a new Redshift material to a partition on a non-active pass using the Render > Get > Material menu
[XSI] Fixed bug that caused incorrect channel naming when more than 1 Depth AOV was present
[XSI] Fixed compiler related bug that could cause point-cloud GI to not be generated for native Softimage material nodes
[XSI] Fixed error message “The parameter ‘ss_amount=’ does not exist on the Redshift Skin…”

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 22 Apr 2017, 23:36

Update on xsi specific changes in versions > 2.0.39

v2.0.41
[XSI] Added OpenVDB support
[XSI] Fixed bug that prevented Redshift menu from working correctly on older versions of Softimage

v2.0.56
[XSI] Fixed bug that caused proxies to display incorrectly in the viewport after scene is saved and reloaded

v2.0.63
[XSI] Fixed bug that caused the cone expression of Redshift spot lights to break when exporting/importing emdl

v2.0.71
[XSI] Added support for motion blur on volume grids
[XSI] Fixed bug that caused an empty port in the volume pass shader list to disable the volume shaders completely

v2.0.88
[XSI] Fixed bug in the Integer Attribute shader that prevented it from working properly

v2.0.91
[XSI] Fixed bug that caused matte parameters to not update correctly when switching the active pass

Here is the log with all the upgrates so far (for all aplications + general fixes and additions) (Customer Builds after v 2.0.1)

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 23 Apr 2017, 17:31

So Softimage is not in v2.5?

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 23 Apr 2017, 19:31

Bullit wrote:So Softimage is not in v2.5?
2.5+ are all just Experimental Builds.
Softimage is supported amongst others, and there are also a few xsi specific changes happening in those 2.5+ builds, i posted only the log for Customer builds = tested and stable versions.

Experimental builds are a little bit ahead in time with fresh features and fixes.
New implementations like Houdini are getting the most attention atm that is true.
But General additions / optimizations /fixes with [all] prefix apply for all applications.

So no wories Softimage still receiving alot of upgrates.
If anyone wonders C4D is in alpha since Sept.

I just installed the latest version i can use, my licence allows versions up to 2017 02, so now i can only watch new features comming but cannot touch them :P

julius

Post by julius » 24 Apr 2017, 09:07

of course yes, Redshift 2.5 will cover Softimage.
The experimental builds are already working.

EDIT : too late ! ;)

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 27 Apr 2017, 12:58

Thank you both.