Blender 2.80 to arrive in 2018

News concerning 3D DCC business
bb3d

Re: Blender 2.80 to arrive in 2018

Post by bb3d » 23 Mar 2018, 01:09

NNois wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 23:31
Sorry to hijack here guys but how do you get into blender with the 3d cursor thing ? how do you move the cursor to something not selected ??? just like on soft where you move the temporal pivot when modeling
Just left-click where you want to have it, it snaps to faces automatically, then set the "Pivot Point" to "3D Cursor".
If you want to snap it precisely to some component, you have to select that component and then SHIFT+S -> Cursor to Selected.

Rork

Post by Rork » 23 Mar 2018, 09:06

Ah... Snapping.... One of my many annoyances in Blender.
I do like certain aspects of Blender, and can see progress for the near future of many parts in Blender.
But the 'We're doing it differently because Blender' can get up your nerves quite quickly, and has slowed down the adoption of Blender for years now.

I do see a renewed interest in Blender, especially in training material. Let's see what the 'revamped' 2.80 is going to bring us.

And as SI users who dabble with Blender, be more vocal about workflow. SI still trumps the others 3d applications in that area.

rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 23 Mar 2018, 10:41

NNois wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 23:31
Sorry to hijack here guys but how do you get into blender with the 3d cursor thing ? how do you move the cursor to something not selected ??? just like on soft where you move the temporal pivot when modeling
I'm just not 'getting' the cursor thing, have no any cursor related shortcut, only way here to move cursor are sliders in 3d view properties menu. For modeling, rarely used pivots/transform orientation axis ''from nowhere'' in SI too, usually it's some component for both. After all, Blender cursor is just point in 3d space, it can not describe the orientation axis. AFAIK they did not assigned any new functionality to cursor in last ten years or more, while they provided its functionalities to other tools, perhaps cursor will disappear one day, against protests of all hundred user who just can't live without.
Not an admirer of Blender's ''after'' adjusting of proportional mode radius, have tendency to use sculpting tools instead.
When it comes to SRT, almost never used any kind of custom pivot for anything - perhaps a good habit from SI, allowed me to switch easier to Maya or Blender.

Always appreciate universal, as much simple and 'stupid' option, also I'd believe that 'simple or nothing' is formula of success. Great example of positive and negative IMO is Maya, where animation as successful part relies on almost same set of tools for decades, plain RMB context menu without shift or ctrl for options, no any radial menu crap, only one auto key option (OK it's not just that simple, however simplicity is first) - contrary to everything else in Maya, which is bloated by over-complicated overlapping options, exclusions, zig-zig moving to get something out of radial menu.... and appropriate ''reputation'' :D .
The renderer "turtle" used by this scene, is not currently available. The "turtle" renderer will be used instead.