Blender 2.80 to arrive in 2018

News concerning 3D DCC business
Mathaeus

Re: Blender 2.80 to arrive in 2018

Post by Mathaeus » 22 Jan 2018, 20:42

Played last weekend with Eevee samples for Blender 2.8 - all downloads are at bottom of page. Have to say a big WOOOW. First to describe the Eevee thing, as it is for now, closest could be a Marmoset Toolbag, sort of artist friendly gamedev style renderer. Things like screen space reflection or occlusion, so on. Great for artists to get desired look, still transferable to real time shading. Also a 'king of portfolios', good for showing the characters, and other cool modeling work. They managed to get it to work with standard Cycles shader networks. While result is ( expectably ) not the same, this makes a chance to use Eevee in combination with other Blender renderers.
Supplied examples are especially impressive, better and richer than perhaps anything offered by commercial apps. I mean, theoretically the same should be possible to do with Maya Viewport 2, but in practice, there's only a bunch of highly technical shaders, poor examples, and.... 'traditional' minute or two for first launch of Maya Hypershade :D .

Another interesting moment is ability of Cycles to use CPU as addition to GPU rendering, about 15 - 20 percent faster here. Not that much, but wouldn't hurt :).
The renderer "turtle" used by this scene, is not currently available. The "turtle" renderer will be used instead.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 22 Jan 2018, 22:23

Well 15-20% faster is much in my rule book. it means 1/5 to 1/6 less time.

Thanks for feedback.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 23 Jan 2018, 15:58

When we are about rendering speedups, denoiser is already there in last version, that's 2.79. Afaik, current denoiser in Blender is not based on recent Nvidia machine learning methods, seems to be something simpler, but it still takes the 3d data directly from rendering process, render tiles are cleaned one by one. Yet another ''wouldn't hurt'', I'd say.
The renderer "turtle" used by this scene, is not currently available. The "turtle" renderer will be used instead.

NNois

Post by NNois » 15 Feb 2018, 17:54

I just find out that autodesk has a PBR game engine integrated "3ds max Interactive" !!

Whoah ! They just cut down the news of the blender eevee !

( commercialy speaking thought, because in fact they just added a "sent to stingray button" but with a speak like that 95% of folks would not see any differences, that's the sad part )

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 16 Feb 2018, 00:15

Stingray is dead.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 16 Feb 2018, 14:34

NNois wrote:
15 Feb 2018, 17:54
I just find out that autodesk has a PBR game engine integrated "3ds max Interactive" !!

Whoah ! They just cut down the news of the blender eevee !

( commercialy speaking thought, because in fact they just added a "sent to stingray button" but with a speak like that 95% of folks would not see any differences, that's the sad part )
As Bullit already said, Stingray is dead, perhaps they'll remove that Interactive thing from next Max. If I'm correct, they actually added some automatic conversions of shaders and such to Max implementation, while in Maya that's a plain gamdev style shader authoring directly in Maya, vectors, dot products, so on.
Honestly, don't know that much about Stingray, literally 100% of anything related to me is dependent on Unreal Engine, as an contemporary Autodesk (or Adobe) of gamedev world.

As an interesting related moment, HumanIK Middleware is dead too. It's not clear does 'dead' applies to Human IK Mocap solutions in Maya and Maya LT. If so, it won't be anything good for Maya position in gamedev, despite the possible replacement, or typical thinking that ''any studio already have another solution, so it doesn't matter''.

sirdavid32

Post by sirdavid32 » 16 Feb 2018, 19:42

eevee all the way. I believe the devs can surprise us with an GL exporter so we can view all of eevee with html. That will link up with bge (blender game engine) and all of the sudden you can custom-logic whatever you may publish on the web (not limited and also) considering virtual reality.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 17 Feb 2018, 10:47

That I know, current state of EEVEE and Marmoset, where only parameters are (possibly) exported, things like metalness map and such, seems to be more convenient than creating the code. In reality, generated code is never matching good enough for programmers, so they already have their interpretations of parameters. Also, I hope that Blender developers won't be too much occupied by next Blender Game Engine (according to internet forums, they already are on that not-too-much path) except for psychological reasons, for people who just want to have an impression of all-in-one app. In other word, they should be working on connections to Unity and Unreal.

In any case, all that real time rendering is far away of results of modern renderers like Octane or RedShift, as expected. It's a world of completely different, really low criteria, perhaps closer to Renderman concepts before Renderman played seriously with ray-tracing - minus hair, point/particle rendering and usable displacement. Tons of baked and 'faked' data, brutal approximations like screen space reflections, some occasional realistic result here and there.
I mean, great to have something like EEVEE in Blender, but, I don't see great future outside of games, or maybe some long representation where is acceptable to forget the quality in favor of real-time playback, and.... someone have a time and knowledge to set up all that....