Tachyon Render

News concerning 3D DCC business
Bullit

Tachyon Render

Post by Bullit » 29 Nov 2017, 00:49

Another render promising game level interactivity - with still scenes at least

From youtube
We are using real-time rendering algorithms like those found in modern video games. We are not using ray tracing or path tracing.

wesserbro

Re: Tachyon Render

Post by wesserbro » 29 Nov 2017, 11:38

its good they are coming.
I would repeat myself: give people decent sampling, displacement and area lights - and half of all render jobs can be done with DX or OpenGL. Not 60 fps, but 1-5 sec per frame, its a good trade.

Rork

Post by Rork » 29 Nov 2017, 16:23

Interesting too see how fast this is all evolving.

I'm not sure if this will be a blessing, or a curse when this matures.......
Yes, getting renders out faster is always great, but clients expecting to do changes until the last minute (even more than now already), because of these faster render times, can still wreak havoc in the workflow ;)

I would love real time 'final' lighting interaction, and 'proper' 10-20 sec. rendering times for 2K/4K frames :D

rob

edit: saw the teaser video on the website, and they show a 100 fr. 800x640 render in appr. 10 min. This would result in appr. 55 min. for HD. Still fast, but could be faster ;)
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 29 Nov 2017, 16:51

For me what i like most was the displacement speed in the second video here. And in a GTX 1060 not the top of the line.

Draise

Post by Draise » 29 Nov 2017, 18:00

I love this workflow. Usually, client changes last minute are.. contract related issues. I always add those changes as extra costs and that anything approved during the Preproduction stage stated in the contract cannot be modified in the Production stage without moving deadlines or charging extra costs, or creating a whole new contract... I try keep it clear to avoid exactly that.

... THEN I enjoy the quick iteration process of the lighting and shading in realtime, be it DirectX with Mach Studio Pro 2 (which has tesselated displacement if necessary, not as crazy good as the above) or Unreal Engine and soon with Eevee in Blender. I get multipass frames on graphics cards done in 8-15 seconds, limited mostly by harddrive write speed, for 2K images on final render, which still is great to go have lunch, come back and the render will be done.. To be honest I love speed with a wysiwyg rendering workflow, as that means in the hour of work I can do 20 creative iterations instead of the limited 3 or 5 finetuned iterations in a grainy long painful traditional raytraced render - which actually increases my quality and lighting artistically over any raytraced workflow.