Maya 2016 new feature videos

Forum for users who have migrated or are migrating to Maya
Mathaeus

Re: Maya 2016 new feature videos

Post by Mathaeus » 03 May 2015, 23:15

MauricioPC wrote: Cons: Slow on high poly counts, this one was only 120k before slowdown on a new mac pro. Though it has worked ok up to 1million faces in other tests. Buggy, 4 or 5 restarts here. No dynamesh, no autoretopology, no sculpt levels, no great cut (dam standard) tools. Needs lots of improvements and bug fixes.
So how I can believe in '3d review on Mac' - sounds like oxymoron... Beside that, I think he compares apples and oranges. I found these brushes nice, for what we should expect from standard 3d app, let's say to work on un - subdivided character or subd level one or two. Enough to forget zbrush thing, in so many cases.
Too bad, that SI sculpting never went further of 'map paint tools' thing.
Anyway if someone had a time machine around 2006 and XSI 5, to show me the bright future in 2015, I'd be disappointed. But this is another story...

luchifer

Post by luchifer » 04 May 2015, 06:01

MauricioPC wrote:Review of Maya 2016 Sculpting tools.

Sculpting in Maya 2016 Review
Slow news day so I thought I'd review Maya 2016's new sculpting brushes with this 2hr time-lapse. No service packs. Quite buggy, sluggish and needs to mature a lot, but a good welcome start.
smile emoticon
Certainly makes a few things easier but will stick to Zbrush for sure. Still I'll def start using sculpting more and more in Maya.

Pros: Works with all the poly tools, proper object handling pivots transform manipulators, snapping pivots and quad draw. Wax is great when it works properly and pinch is lovely too. Works with deformers and image planes in the timeline, keying visibility etc.

Cons: Slow on high poly counts, this one was only 120k before slowdown on a new mac pro. Though it has worked ok up to 1million faces in other tests. Buggy, 4 or 5 restarts here. No dynamesh, no autoretopology, no sculpt levels, no great cut (dam standard) tools. Needs lots of improvements and bug fixes.

Verdict: Use ZBrush, or stay with Mudbox for the bulk of sculpting. Very handy for various tasks used in combo with poly tools when you don't want or need to switch programs. Could be promising in years to come! Wait for the service packs if you don't like bugs!

2hr Sculpt, Cushing, Concept by Ryan Wood
that review is pointless... Maya sculpting isnt trying to compete with Zbrush, is trying to make morph targets easier.

In the end, the review sold me to Maya Sculpting because is nice to be able to do that even if thats not the primary use for it.

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 04 May 2015, 15:40

luchifer wrote:
that review is pointless... Maya sculpting isnt trying to compete with Zbrush, is trying to make morph targets easier.

In the end, the review sold me to Maya Sculpting because is nice to be able to do that even if thats not the primary use for it.
I totally agree with you.

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 04 May 2015, 17:19

Just the relax function is very useful just for polishing up surfaces and getting nice edge flows.
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 08 Jun 2015, 16:38

Very good analysis and review of the new improvements in Maya for character animation and rigging.

luceric

Post by luceric » 09 Jun 2015, 15:29

Here is something made by one guy with Maya and red shift
https://vimeo.com/alflovvold

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 09 Jun 2015, 18:39

Hi Luceric

You dont happen to know if the unbundling of Mental ray from Maya is possibly the first step in allowing Nvidia to bundle iRay with Maya?
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 09 Jun 2015, 19:07

luceric wrote:Here is something made by one guy with Maya and red shift
https://vimeo.com/alflovvold
I know Alf, he is a great guy. But he is also a 10-year Maya user. :)

What I really liked about the video was how handy the Profiler is. Very much indeed.