Duplicate Faces in Maya?

Forum for users who have migrated or are migrating to Maya
myara

Re: Duplicate Faces in Maya?

Post by myara » 15 Apr 2016, 04:17

So you basically want Autodesk to assign CTRL D to extrude faces. Isn't it faster to do it by yourself ? I already gave you an example of how do it with a simple Mel script.

About the select tool, I agree with you. I just changed the select tool Q to do select and change to object mode. Also remapped those F8~F11. You can use Right click to change selection mode but those modes aren't the same than F8~. I prefer the Fs mode.

In Maya you have to customize your keys and marking menus to work more comfortably. Don't expect it to be just like Softimage out of the box.

Well to be fair I also customized my XSI a lot.
M.Yara
Character Modeler | Softimage Generalist (sort of)

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 15 Apr 2016, 13:41

Rez007 wrote: One more quick question, as I think I am going to eventually make another thread for some of these questions, but if I have the Selection Tool set to the default Marquee, and then I press 'Tab' to access the raycast ('Drag') selection version of that tool is very nice. But, if I set my Selection Tool to 'Drag' as the default, and then I press 'Tab' is does not switch to 'Marquee' mode. Is this correct? If it is, it would be nice if 'Tab' could flip operations based on what the default may be.
I think tab key is temporary toggle (as long as you *hold* the key) from default marquee to drag. For permanent toggle, or backward, perhaps best is to go to windows> settings> preferences < hotkey editor (or something like), to do search for select mode, toggle select mode, so on. I'm also (for now) in ''investigating phase''. At least from that point of view, it's relative easy to customize hotkeys in Maya - however for getting the exact style of some SI selection modes, let's say SI Raycast Polygon Select, had to combine several commands, like polygon component mode, select mode raycast, tweak mode and something else more, I think.
That is, it's your choice how deep you want to go with customization, and possible complexity of that customization.
Regarding object mode, it perfectly works to assign the space key to that, but then you have to assign the hotbox and one-four viewport switch to another hotkey. Most likely I'll choose to simply kill the hotbox, but that's just me...

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 15 Apr 2016, 19:29

myara wrote:So you basically want Autodesk to assign CTRL D to extrude faces. Isn't it faster to do it by yourself ? I already gave you an example of how do it with a simple Mel script.

About the select tool, I agree with you. I just changed the select tool Q to do select and change to object mode. Also remapped those F8~F11. You can use Right click to change selection mode but those modes aren't the same than F8~. I prefer the Fs mode.

In Maya you have to customize your keys and marking menus to work more comfortably. Don't expect it to be just like Softimage out of the box.

Well to be fair I also customized my XSI a lot.
I did see your script and I said thank you for that earlier. I really haven't used Mel scripting at all yet, so I am looking more into that too. Sometimes I think it is good to voice one's opinions to the actual makers of the product, in this case Autodesk. If everyone just made their own scripts for everything to fix issues, then Autodesk will never know when something could possibly be enhanced. If something is done, perhaps more logically in a different program, I do not see why that cannot be asked to be looked at, and they did. Autodesk did change some things, I just thought it was about 90% there.

Yes, it is definitely not the same as Softimage out-of-the-box, so that is why I am more-or-less now, trying to just fall into how things are done with Maya - and there are some really nice tools and aspects too. :)
Mathaeus wrote: I think tab key is temporary toggle (as long as you *hold* the key) from default marquee to drag. For permanent toggle, or backward, perhaps best is to go to windows> settings> preferences < hotkey editor (or something like), to do search for select mode, toggle select mode, so on. I'm also (for now) in ''investigating phase''. At least from that point of view, it's relative easy to customize hotkeys in Maya - however for getting the exact style of some SI selection modes, let's say SI Raycast Polygon Select, had to combine several commands, like polygon component mode, select mode raycast, tweak mode and something else more, I think.
That is, it's your choice how deep you want to go with customization, and possible complexity of that customization.
Regarding object mode, it perfectly works to assign the space key to that, but then you have to assign the hotbox and one-four viewport switch to another hotkey. Most likely I'll choose to simply kill the hotbox, but that's just me...
The more I fiddle around with Maya, I am starting to understand why somethings are set up the way they are. But yes, with object mode, I think myara and your solutions are good ideas and was thinking about the spacebar setup myself. I am going to give it a go some more first with Maya, before changing too many hotkeys for myself, to see how things play out.

Thanks Guys!

myara

Post by myara » 15 Apr 2016, 20:05

Yeah I know, I didn't mean to be rude, but with Maya you'll have to learn how to customize your tools, at least basic command combinations.
M.Yara
Character Modeler | Softimage Generalist (sort of)

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 16 Apr 2016, 23:30

myara wrote:with Maya you'll have to learn how to customize your tools, at least basic command combinations.
Indeed for simple things, but also more complex custom tools and effects can often only be through scripting.

And of course in soft creating or customizing tools is also common, except that there's ICE,
SI's Object Model (particularly straight forward, with it's sdk not just for "programmers"), and a very large majority of the tools don't need to made or modified.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 18 Apr 2016, 12:28

Well that ''don't need to made or modified" this really is individual, I think. There are always good and bad sides of software, or people are willing to adapt, or not.
Let's say surprisingly positive Maya side, for me, is node editor, how it allows a really smooth connection between kinematics operators, make it easy to build, only by nodes, things like soft IK, even own IK solver, kind of simple constraint, or all variances. All that directly in existing kinematics system, so no need to call a huge engine like ICE or external plugin. Editable motion paths are really a step forward, also this seems to be only usable implementation in all apps. There were requests for Editable motion paths on old XSI Base, but thing became forgotten when ICE arrived. Not because ICE was any solution for that, by the way.
Negative of course belongs to operator stack, or exactly how it is exposed to final user. Ironically, I think they actually tried to protect the final users by hiding some parts, but decision from old times became that mass, today. Someone wants to re-parametrize a plain imported curve, and to keep the operator alive, but Maya refuses to keep the op, perhaps because there is no previous history on imported thing - so there is weird workaround to apply the Bend with zero weight first to initialize stack, then to re-parametrize.... and so on and so on.

Anyway, so far so good, here......

luceric

Post by luceric » 20 Apr 2016, 03:11

they posted videos of Extension 2 modelling tweaks, including an insanely detailed (but silent) 35 minutes one of all the changes
http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/stevenr/ ... provements

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 22 Apr 2016, 21:02

luceric wrote:they posted videos of Extension 2 modelling tweaks, including an insanely detailed (but silent) 35 minutes one of all the changes
http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/stevenr/ ... provements
I saw both videos, and the longer one really highlights the fixes that they made as it seems to be more of a breakdown of past-to-present. These are some really impressive improvements and will make modeling in Maya much more friendly. This could have been warranted as a full release given all of the additions, like Mash, modeling, BiFrost, etc. Makes me look forward to what 2017 will bring. Keep the modeling improvements coming. :)