Transition to Blender?

Forum for users who have migrated or are migrating to Blender
Draise

Re: Transition to Blender?

Post by Draise » 08 Nov 2014, 20:15

Here are some animation node addons stuff.

Here are some Parametric nodes for architects
Link to Thread

There are others, Motion Tools, and Shevrok; and some are developing Python nodes, among others. Just gotta hang in the forums over there.

I don't know of a scenewide representation for the nodes.. yet.. maybe soon?

NNois

Post by NNois » 10 Nov 2014, 20:32

Ok, so each system is redesigning there own input and output node plus all the basic stuff like maths nodes... Maybe one could grow and serve as a root for others, let's hope.
But one more important thing I have in mind is performance, is a python plugin can process points blazing fast like softimage, or is this already a dead end ?

I must say I'm very impressed by blender for now, a great companion.

csaez

Post by csaez » 10 Nov 2014, 21:04

I've not so much experience developing for Blender, but I've been working a bit on the Amaranth plugin and python seems to works much faster than within Softimage (less COM overhead I guess), the same is true for Maya.
That said, you should not use python for per point realtime operations (Softimage, Maya, Houdini, Blender, whatever), it's not the best language for that kind of requirement (interpreted, not async friendly).

BTW, latest Blender uses python 3.4.2 ;)
Last edited by csaez on 10 Nov 2014, 21:17, edited 2 times in total.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 10 Nov 2014, 21:09

NNois wrote: But one more important thing I have in mind is performance, is a python plugin can process points blazing fast like softimage, or is this already a dead end ?
Well I think you already know the answer - it can not. Especially when it comes to huge numbers, like sending the instances to renderer, Python plugin could take minutes, or forever. While any SI hard coded plugin eats these thing in seconds or less. Forget Python....
However, even Blender itself, regardless of it's Phyton plague, is not the best app on the planet, when it comes to large scenes, lot of animation data or so. It never was good for that. Static scene, that's OK, you can just choose to do not move anything and wait some time for application response.

Where is border when it comes to particles, if you want to try yourself, there are nice examples at Blender Diplom. For animated character, perhaps nice test could be a well known 'Tetine Elfe" from Blend Swap. To be fair, Blender is still quite stable when diving through something complex - but, again, forget competing with SI or Maya. Keep the ambitions low, and everything will be OK :)

Richy

Post by Richy » 11 Nov 2014, 15:32

Hi. Here you can download and try Blender 2.71.3 - Open Subdiv

http://www.graphicall.org/1117

NNois

Post by NNois » 25 Nov 2014, 12:42

"animation node" in just 3 months of dev starts to become really good, with perfs not that bad and... sounds familiar !

bb3d

Post by bb3d » 06 Dec 2014, 02:25