Noob question (probably)

Discussions regarding modelling with SOFTIMAGE©
3dnoob

Noob question (probably)

Post by 3dnoob » 14 Jul 2018, 02:26

Hey friends :)

I am slowly trying to familiarize myself with sub-d modelling, but I have been hitting some walls in Softimage.

I was wondering- Is there a way to repeat the last command but without having to re-enter the previous parameters in the Operator explorer? For instance, I have just inset a poly for X length, can I have SI remember the input for my next inset on another poly?

Sorry if my question is obvious/stupid, I have genuinely tried going through this forum and manual fishing for a similar topic but I couldn't find something.

Mathaeus

Re: Noob question (probably)

Post by Mathaeus » 14 Jul 2018, 12:05

Generally, no, unless the custom parameter is created, which is possible to enable for certain built in procedure, only by modifying the code, if I'm correct.
If you want to inset a multiple polys in same way, you just do it in one go, select all them and inset. For adjusting, you rely on PPG (toolbar) which always pop ups with exactly last action (if tab mode is enabled), also it's possible to use mouse wheel with ctrl or shift for larger - smaller increments.
Advantages of such approach, imho, are 'strategical':
- no need to reset all preferences frequently because app is not able deal with them any more, like Maya for instance
- no need to take care about preferences when switching from modeling to animation, is there is some dangerous preference left (like.... mentioned app)
- it forces to think in 'global way', how to solve multiple problems at once, instead one by one.

3dnoob

Post by 3dnoob » 14 Jul 2018, 13:12

Thank you Mathaeus very much for your answer. I really appreciate it!

You can always create a preset and load it for every similar bevel (or other action) you want to perform, but that ends up being more clicks than just pasting the same value in the corresponding field. My only worry is only about keeping the flow when speed(in turtle speed for me) modeling hard surface for example. I come from z-brush and I am trying to eliminate all distractions to focus on concepting, that's why I was asking. I understand possible limitations though :(

By the way, and to take advantage of this great SI resource, I haven't managed to make the create edge tool snap to a middle point of an edge (I played with the preferences for snapping to no avail). I ended up subdividing the edge I wanted to draw on to first. Am I missing something or this is also not possible?

Ps. I didn't know about the mouse wheel ctrl/shift trick!! That helps a lot! <3

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 14 Jul 2018, 14:14

About midpoint snap, afaik this works if you want to draw a curve with control points snapped to midpoints of mesh, and such. Doesn't work on 'self' (I could be wrong, here).

Now, conceptually when it comes to hard surface, for anything complex I've used 'base model', that is, mesh without small details, this one was a target for shrink-wrap deformer. Usually, having a shrink-wrap applied on top, in animation construction region, like one will do when doing re-topo in other apps. Generally, shrink wrap is a kind of workhorse, in SI you can apply it directly over selection of points. 'Closest' mode is able to use curve as target.
Another 'conceptual' comes to construction history, plain disable of last actions, as it gives a more freedom than undo, for just an experimental journey to front and back in creation, if there is need.
About additional tools, there were always two:
Taut operator for 'straitening' (similar to loop tools in Blender), while in SI is also possible to use it on top of modeling.
RC Tools for all kind of special selections.
Both are free, available here in resources.

By the way, there are some newer nice concepts in Blender, like non destructive use of Bevel modifier guided by 'bevel weight' property, more addons and so. However, SI is still a way more subd-friendly than Blender.

All I said is of course personal point of view, anyway it worked for a lot of hard surfaces in ten years, from cellphones to cars and else.

3dnoob

Post by 3dnoob » 14 Jul 2018, 14:31

Wow...You are golden! So many directions to research now. Thank you for taking the time and giving me these pointers.

I am committed to getting familiarized with SI, despite the fact that it has been discontinued. There is something about this software that has drawn me in (I am a 2D guy, doing concept art and game illustration mostly). I tried to find ways to do hard surface for my concepts, but like following little pebbles, going from one tool to a more efficient one, I ended up here. And the logic of Sub-d modeling, understanding how edge flow will effect the final result, has a puzzle quality that I find very addictive. Needless to say, what beautiful results you can get, with the right moves on extremely simple geometry.

I will research some more on the things that you pointed out, this will require some time. Thanks again!

Grubber

Post by Grubber » 15 Jul 2018, 08:06

3dnoob wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 13:12 By the way, and to take advantage of this great SI resource, I haven't managed to make the create edge tool snap to a middle point of an edge (I played with the preferences for snapping to no avail). I ended up subdividing the edge I wanted to draw on to first. Am I missing something or this is also not possible?
You need to hold Ctrl to snap to a middle point of an edge.

myara

Post by myara » 15 Jul 2018, 12:04

to create a polygon face with the same size I would extract and keep that face, move the pivot with alt I think (I don’t use default keys) and move with snapping to the point of the first polygon with Ctrl. Then merge them with my tool mCombine :P
M.Yara
Character Modeler | Softimage Generalist (sort of)

3dnoob

Post by 3dnoob » 15 Jul 2018, 14:15

myara wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 12:04 to create a polygon face with the same size I would extract and keep that face, move the pivot with alt I think (I don’t use default keys) and move with snapping to the point of the first polygon with Ctrl. Then merge them with my tool mCombine :P
So I have a legendary add-on creator answering my questions... I feel so lucky!:D I installed and used your tool(thanks for making it!!!) via the scene explorer and it simplifies things a lot! The extracted polygons retain a cyan outline though. Have I failed miserably?
Grubber wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 08:06 You need to hold Ctrl to snap to a middle point of an edge.
I love you!

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 15 Jul 2018, 20:52

Operators like Bevel will appear on Scene defaults when used, to navigate there and tweek the default values open Explorer (8) Application (A)>Scene defaults>Operators
Inset will NOT appear in that list because is same OP with Extrude,

For repeated insets, you could tweek an Extrude Along Axis instead, with length 0 and the desired inset value.

3dnoob

Post by 3dnoob » 16 Jul 2018, 02:22

mc_axe wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 20:52 Operators like Bevel will appear on Scene defaults when used, to navigate there and tweek the default values open Explorer (8) Application (A)>Scene defaults>Operators
Inset will NOT appear in that list because is same OP with Extrude,

For repeated insets, you could tweek an Extrude Along Axis instead, with length 0 and the desired inset value.
Thank you axe, for taking the time to educate a beginner. Indeed, I can track a Bevel Op for example in scene explorer (which is very useful as I can go and tweak the parameters or remove it altogether). How can I reproduce the operator on another poly of the mesh, though? It seems to be bound to the specific poly it was originally applied to. Can I copy it to another poly or group of polys through the Scene Exp?

This thread is so educational for me @-)

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 16 Jul 2018, 11:39

3dnoob wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 02:22 How can I reproduce the operator on another poly of the mesh, though? It seems to be bound to the specific poly it was originally applied to. Can I copy it to another poly or group of polys through the Scene Exp?
In case of deformers (called from 'deform' menu, where 'deformer' here means ''no change in topology'), SI should create cluster called 'point_auto' or something. Once operator and cluster is created, you just add components to cluster, or remove them, and that's it.
SI Bevel Components op is specific, it is starting from *component*, this could be edge, point or poly, it works even if started *from* boundary edges. So if you want to *copy* bevel op, without any scripting, you have to create a new bevel op first, then to copy paramaters, one by one, or - to save and load the preset (small 'save' icon on top right side of PPG).

And yeah, if that fits, it should be possible (should be = I never tried it on bevels) to utilize multiple edit - select one Bevel Op in Explorer to get PPG, then select another Bevel Op, edit parameters of all Bevels at once.

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 16 Jul 2018, 14:20

Indeed, I can track a Bevel Op
What i said earier is different than tweekin just one operator in the explorer.
You can litterally go in and change the default values of the tool, so you know what to expect on every next use.

You can even use the dot shortcut to repeat the last command if you feel like spraying your mesh with operators uncontrollably xD.
That might be fun and quick way to model, but be careful with your opearator stack :)

3dnoob

Post by 3dnoob » 16 Jul 2018, 19:52

Mathaeus wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 11:39
3dnoob wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 02:22 How can I reproduce the operator on another poly of the mesh, though? It seems to be bound to the specific poly it was originally applied to. Can I copy it to another poly or group of polys through the Scene Exp?
In case of deformers (called from 'deform' menu, where 'deformer' here means ''no change in topology'), SI should create cluster called 'point_auto' or something. Once operator and cluster is created, you just add components to cluster, or remove them, and that's it.
SI Bevel Components op is specific, it is starting from *component*, this could be edge, point or poly, it works even if started *from* boundary edges. So if you want to *copy* bevel op, without any scripting, you have to create a new bevel op first, then to copy paramaters, one by one, or - to save and load the preset (small 'save' icon on top right side of PPG).

And yeah, if that fits, it should be possible (should be = I never tried it on bevels) to utilize multiple edit - select one Bevel Op in Explorer to get PPG, then select another Bevel Op, edit parameters of all Bevels at once.
I see, I was not aware of that difference in the way deformers work as opposed to topology altering operations. Very useful in depth stuff!
mc_axe wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 14:20
Indeed, I can track a Bevel Op
What i said earier is different than tweekin just one operator in the explorer.
You can litterally go in and change the default values of the tool, so you know what to expect on every next use.

You can even use the dot shortcut to repeat the last command if you feel like spraying your mesh with operators uncontrollably xD.
That might be fun and quick way to model, but be careful with your opearator stack :)
Aaaaand you are absolutely right. The second time I carefully went through your message, I realized you fully answered my original question. I can alter bevel distance there and it will stay same for the operations to come. I have to say I am very impressed by the depth of knowledge of the program that goes around these forums, it was the right move to post my questions here. Thank you!