Break shared Texture_Projection_Definition?

Discussions regarding modelling with SOFTIMAGE©
valentine

Break shared Texture_Projection_Definition?

Post by valentine » 24 Jun 2019, 11:10

Hello brave XSI folks ;)

Today I stumbled on a problem which I haven't been aware of even existing during my 15 years of Softimage usage. I created a mesh, added two texture projections, unfolded it via Unfold operator and created several duplicates of it and edited the respective meshes. For some of the meshes I need wrapping of the texture in U-direction. So I tried to enable "wrap in U" for the respective meshes in the "Texture_Projection_Def" (uvprojdef). I quickly noticed that ALL of the objects are using/sharing the same texture projection definition (it's shown in italic letters in the explorer) which defines the UV-transformation and wrapping. I tried freezing the objects/projections/definitions, searched for an option to "make it local" (like it's possible for example with the global Geometry_Approximation) and of course read the docs - unfortunately without any luck so far - I havent been able to break the link between the objects.

So is there a way to break the link between the projections to create a local "Texture_Projection_Def" for each of the objects? Or maybe a good workaround? My texturing approach will only work when I'm able to set different tiling modes for each object.

I know, the SI-community has been shrunk a lot by AD's EOL decision, but I still hope for a quick answer to be able to continue the project w/o redoing the UVs for each of the 60+ objects ;)

Thanks in advance and best regards,
Valentine

rray

Re: Break shared Texture_Projection_Definition?

Post by rray » 24 Jun 2019, 12:01

Hi Valentine ,
didn't find an easy way to make this local. Double clicking like GeomApprox doesn't work as you already wrote, even the MakeLocal scripting command doesn't do anything. Probably it's been forgotten about.
Only way I see is there's an option "always share" in the duplicate option that's probably on. When you turn it off then duplicate the whole cluster you should have a copy with a local Texture_Projection_Def
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

valentine

Re: Break shared Texture_Projection_Definition?

Post by valentine » 24 Jun 2019, 14:03

rray wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 12:01 Hi Valentine ,
didn't find an easy way to make this local. Double clicking like GeomApprox doesn't work as you already wrote, even the MakeLocal scripting command doesn't do anything. Probably it's been forgotten about.
Only way I see is there's an option "always share" in the duplicate option that's probably on. When you turn it off then duplicate the whole cluster you should have a copy with a local Texture_Projection_Def
Hello rray,

thanks a lot for the quick reply. I duplicated the whole texture coordinates cluster, and indeed, the option "always duplicate" in the duplicate options created one local copy for both projections inside the cluster. To uncouple both projection's definitions I just duplicated the cluster twice and deleted the respective projections. So your hint into the right direction did the trick, although it comes with some manual work. Thanks a lot, really appreciated!

Best regards,
Valentine

/offtopic:

Moin Reinhard, vielen Dank nochmal all deine meistens maximal hilfreichen Beitraege in den letzten anderthalb Jahrzehnten. Von den Softimage-Usern wirst du mir hoechstwahrscheinlich als einer der Wichtigsten in der deutschen XSI-Gemeinde in Erinnerung bleiben. Chapeau!

Besten Gruss
Valentine