Hi masters, please answers this few questions

Discussions regarding modelling with SOFTIMAGE©
Caveman

Hi masters, please answers this few questions

Post by Caveman » 03 Dec 2011, 18:02

Hi I have got a few questions regarding SI. Please answer them, if you can spare a few moments. Thanks.

(1) Harden or Soften the normal of edges selectively.

(2) Any way to hook up the command in the MCP Ref "set to edges" to a hotkey.

(3) Is there an option to use the Lasso selection without Raycast.

(4) Can I have more than four memo cam or is there a camera bookmark option somewhere.

(5) Is there a script for changing grid size on the fly.

(6) The wires look nasty :)) . Is there an Anti Aliasing option inside SI.

Thank you for your attention.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: Hi masters, please answers this few questions

Post by Hirazi Blue » 03 Dec 2011, 22:30

I'm definitively no master, but here are my attempts at an answer:

(1) Modify > Component > Mark Hard Edge/Vertex?
(2) Yes, sort of, through the creation of a custom command,
but I am not near my SI right now to tell you exactly how.
(3) No, AFAIK
(4) No, AFAIK
(5) Please explain what you mean exactly...
(6) No, AFAIK
%-(
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Caveman

Post by Caveman » 04 Dec 2011, 05:37

Hi Hirazi he.. he.. you are being modest ;)

I am sorry but I guess I was not clear,

(1) Harden or Soften the normal of edges as in Max's Smoothing Angle or Maya's Harden or Soften Edges Command. Softimage's Mark Hard Edge or Crease Edge works only in Subdivided mode.

(2) I will try to create a custom command, but If you can please help me with it :D

(4) What do you do when you run out of memo cam and you don't want to clear the old ones ?

(5) I meant is it possible to make the Floor/Grid Denser or Coarser with some kind of script or command, since we are missing a dynamic grid.

Like I feared most of the questions had a No, AFAIK answer :((

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 04 Dec 2011, 12:24

(2) Try the Python-Plugin attached here (User folder > Application > Plugin)
the command starts a picking session in edge selection mode
pick the edge(s) you want to use
or
don't pick anything (direct right-click)
in this case currently selected edges will be used
or
if no edges are selected the last reference will be reused
easily added to your keyboard map under custom script commands, "EdgeReference"
No guarantees, use at own risk, obviously... ;)
EdgeReferencePlugin.zip
(648 Bytes) Downloaded 110 times
P.S. Concerning (1) I don't know how Max or Maya do this sort of thing, but as far as I can tell, setting (and "unsetting") hard edges doesn't work on subdivided meshes ONLY...

Caveman

Post by Caveman » 04 Dec 2011, 15:06

Hi Hirazi thanks for the script. It works. And yes the Mark Hard Edge/Vertex also worked. Thanks again. Now if only I could get dynamic grid in SI:D

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 04 Dec 2011, 16:02

I'm not certain, if this is what you mean, but under the "Camera Visibility Property Editor" there are options ("Floor/Grid Setup"), to customize the floor/grid ("U, V Cell Size", "Floor Size" and "U, V Snap Size").
;)

Caveman

Post by Caveman » 04 Dec 2011, 20:39

Yes, I want to control the floor Grid Settings with a hotkey. If you have used C4D you will know what I am saying. Basically what the Grid does is when zooming in or out in the viewport the grid automatically adjusts itself. Since dynamic grid is not available in SI I wish to control the Grid/Floor settings with some hotkeys. As reaching that option from the camera properties every few seconds becomes tiresome. Thanks for your help.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 04 Dec 2011, 22:08

A quick and dirty cheat. Take the attached custom property, apply it to your scene. Now lay an expression on this parameter based on the way you want the cells to resize. I tried it with a "Camera.kine.global.posz / 10"-expression but that was just for testing purposes. The custom parameter writes its value every time it gets changed to both the "U Cell Size" and the "V Cell Size" and by adding the expression manually you can get something like the dynamic resizing (more or - probably - less) you're after....
I doubt however if it's truly safe to work with such an obvious cheat, but that's for you to decide...
;)
gridhelper0.1.zip
(771 Bytes) Downloaded 103 times
edit: I updated the custom property so the parameter has more "acceptable" values: its minimum is set to 0.1 and its default value is set at 1. If you come up with some kind of formula to use as a generic expression, I'd be willing to try incorporating the setting of this expression into the creation phase of the parameter as well.

Caveman

Post by Caveman » 05 Dec 2011, 14:25

:)) You are asking me? A person who gives the shopkeeper the money and asks for how much change should he get back, to come up with a formula. =)) I can spend the entire day sculpting, modeling, animating, texturing, rendering and I must say that I am pretty good at those, but maths I can barely wrap my head around it. Okay enough of self humiliation :o)

Anyway, I have put your .py in C:\Users\user_name\Autodesk\Softimage_2012_SP1\Application\Plugins. If this is the correct location where should I look for the property. In the Model>Property menu? Because I can't find it there.

And thanks again for spending your precious time on my silly questions Hirazi.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 05 Dec 2011, 16:20

No, you'll have to open up the Plug-in Manager (File > Plug-in Manager), find the plugin, expand it (click on the plus-sign), right-click on the entry "gridhelper (Property)" and choose "Create Property".
This is what it looks like on my laptop Mod Tool:
Plugin Manager.png
Plugin Manager.png (35.3 KiB) Viewed 2653 times
(please ignore the other plugins, I know I do!!! :D )

And concerning the behavior of the expression you want, describe how you envision it. Default the cell sizes are set to "1". When do you want them to turn bigger and when do you want them to turn smaller. And how much? I can't guarantee I can figure it out, but I'd be willing to give it a try... And maybe if I get clear instructions from you, I can code it, instead of using an expression...

;)

Caveman

Post by Caveman » 05 Dec 2011, 18:02

Let's say when I zoom in, the grid gets dense and vice versa. But Dynamic Grid is not important, it will be more than enough if I can control the size of the Grid with a hotkey, like "ctrl +1" for Coarser Grid and "ctrl +2" for Denser Grid. Both increases or decreases by a power of two. Also the hotkey should work in all the views not just the perspective view.

It is working almost like I had wished for. Just adding the above few suggestion will make it perfect.

Regarding the script for the Pick Edge Reference. This is how I use the Pick Edge Reference. I select a Point and then Select an Edge Reference, while doing so the Point do not get deselected. With your script I select the Point and then use your script (which I have hooked up to a hotkey btw) and Pick the Edge Reference, but in the process the Point gets deselected. Please make the Point stay selected even after I have picked the Edge Reference.

Thanks for your patience ^:)^

uglyrenamePlugin :)) Ha Ha (like Nelson Muntz)

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 05 Dec 2011, 21:06

I've packaged the new versions to both scripts in one zip (see below)

Concerning the GridDensity:
Okay, just creating two commands to be used in conjunction with hotkeys is way easier. Everytime one of the two commands ("gridplus" & "gridmin") gets called it increases or decreases the current Cell Size with 0.1. If the value gets below 0.2 it stops.

Concerning the EdgeReference plugin:
I think/guess/hope the only thing missing was an automatic return to the original selection filter before invoking the command. If so, I added the necessary code...
CavemanScripts.zip
(1.26 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
Now I need some sleep... (-|
(And I need to figure out what's wrong with the script editor/plugin manager in SAP 2012
- if anything, I can't rule out user error at this point either)

Caveman

Post by Caveman » 06 Dec 2011, 08:28

Wow! it turned out that I can't snap Points to these grids 8-} b-(

Please make the Grids size change simultaneously in all the views. Again, if snapping in these grids are not possible then it would be kind of useless to just increase or decrease the Grid size. I hope you understand.

And thanks the Pick Edge Reference now works the way I wanted. Thank you.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 06 Dec 2011, 09:49

Okay, here's my final attempt...
I added the snap steps to the things that get updated and it now updates each and every possible view.camera too, even ones that are not in use at the moment. I added an extra command ("resetgridall") to enable you to reset all cameras to the default value of 1 in one simple click and sent the new value directly to the "Translate Snap Increment". I hope this works for you now. If not, another update will take (slightly) longer...
:ympray:
Attachments
griddensityfinal.zip
(905 Bytes) Downloaded 78 times

Caveman

Post by Caveman » 06 Dec 2011, 14:53

Hirazi you are an O:-) I can't say thank you enough. I really wish I could be helpful to you in some way. Thanks Master. Everything works as I had wished for.

Caveman

Post by Caveman » 08 Dec 2011, 09:36

One last post. :D

Regarding

(1) Hardening or Softening the normal of edges selectively.

This can be done with User Normals(Model>Modify>Component>Set User Normals, in case anyone is wondering). This does exactly the same thing as Max's smoothing groups and Maya's Soften/Harden Edge.