UV Unwrapping

Discussions regarding modelling with SOFTIMAGE©
Lukesmith123

UV Unwrapping

Post by Lukesmith123 » 03 Nov 2013, 22:43

Hi,

Whats the best method to UV Unwrap a model?

I always use Unique UVs (polymesh) projection, but this alway splits my mesh up into lots of pieces in the projection and I have to spend ages patching it together (and it turns out rather clunky). Whenever I see other peoples unwraps they look really smooth like they have clicked a magic button and uwrapped it really easily.

I understand there may be different techniques depending on the type and shape of the mesh but what are some of the methods?

I used a plugin called RoadKill years ago, is there anything like this built into Softimage now?

Thanks,

Pooby

Re: UV Unwrapping

Post by Pooby » 03 Nov 2013, 23:25

Unfold?

Lukesmith123

Post by Lukesmith123 » 03 Nov 2013, 23:41

Just tried it, yes thats exactly what I was after!

Is it a new feature? I could swear Unfold never used to be an option.

Any considerations to keep in mind when using it?

Falam

Post by Falam » 03 Nov 2013, 23:43

UV Mapping in Softimage can get the Job done, it can also take considerable amounts of time, with a side order of grief. Softimage UV tools lack, for quick touch up, I'll give it a pass.

gaboraa

Post by gaboraa » 04 Nov 2013, 14:50

I second that and also I am not positive for the future development of new tools.

Grims

Post by Grims » 05 Nov 2013, 03:59

I think that one of the major flaws of UV mapping in XSI is the relax tool (both the legacy and the new one). I just think that they don't work very well... Don't you guys agree?
The Future is Gloomy!

myara

Post by myara » 05 Nov 2013, 10:22

Lukesmith123 wrote:Just tried it, yes thats exactly what I was after!

Is it a new feature? I could swear Unfold never used to be an option.

Any considerations to keep in mind when using it?
It may be "new" if you haven't used an Autodesk release until now. I think it was in the first Autodesk release.

Try to use a clean mesh and avoid Ngons, or non manifolds. Oh, and save before using it.
If your mesh isn't clean enough it may crash your SI. I've only seen that crash window very few times though.

Although it doesn't have too much to envy Maya default UV Tools, I agree that SI UV tools are pretty outdated and almost unscriptable so you won't be able to customize any tool easily.

I've heard good things about headus a few years ago, never used it though, is it still one of the best standalone UV tools out there?
M.Yara
Character Modeler | Softimage Generalist (sort of)

Lukesmith123

Post by Lukesmith123 » 07 Nov 2013, 22:01

Yeah I haven't used Softimage for a couple of years, I would have killed for the unfold feature back then.

I tried Headus but I found the Interface and controls a nightmare!

Bendo

Post by Bendo » 26 Nov 2013, 20:06

Can someone tell me how to save the unfolded UVs so that they export with the model? I currently have the UVs unwrapped the way I want them, but when I minimize the Texture Editor the texture reverts back to the original projection. I can get the UV arrangement back by selecting "UVs > Unfold" in the Texture Editor.

Based on info from SI Help it looks like I need to Freeze the texture projection, which I tried, but didn't work. http://download.autodesk.com/global/doc ... index.html

Any suggestions on how to save/bake/freeze/export my unwrapped UV arrangement within the model's FBX? Thanks in advance.

Newcomer (<20 posts) alert: please use the URL tags - HB

luceric

Post by luceric » 26 Nov 2013, 21:59

myara wrote:Is it a new feature? I could swear Unfold never used to be an option.
right, it was introduce in Softimage|XSI 7.5, five years ago

origin

Post by origin » 26 Nov 2013, 22:07

Lukesmith123 wrote:Yeah I haven't used Softimage for a couple of years, I would have killed for the unfold feature back then.

I tried Headus but I found the Interface and controls a nightmare!
Headus is great..but its the only software I know that _forces_ you to learn keyboard shortcuts otherwise you cant do shit :)

gaboraa

Post by gaboraa » 27 Nov 2013, 10:56

Can someone tell me how to save the unfolded UVs so that they export with the model? I currently have the UVs unwrapped the way I want them, but when I minimize the Texture Editor the texture reverts back to the original projection. I can get the UV arrangement back by selecting "UVs > Unfold" in the Texture Editor.
most probably you have two or more set of Uvs and when minimizing one of the other UV sets override the current one. Try deleting other sets.

Bendo

Post by Bendo » 27 Nov 2013, 20:40

Thanks gaboraa, I think that was the problem. Got it working correctly now!

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 28 Nov 2013, 22:25

nvm :]

KLONOA WORKS

Post by KLONOA WORKS » 01 Dec 2013, 14:23

I don't want to add topic for one question.

my question is there a way if I move the edge or point the uv doesn't broke ?