element "jumping" with snap enabled

Discussions regarding modelling with SOFTIMAGE©
wesserbro

element "jumping" with snap enabled

Post by wesserbro » 02 Nov 2016, 19:34

Move Point Tool has a 'pick size' radius, which is great. But when snapping is enables, clicking withing this radius not only picks the point but also moves it immediately to the mouse coordinates, which is not great and looks like annoying 'jumping'. Its similar to regular translate tool, where without snapping click'n'drag outside the manipulator just move the element normally, but with snapping enabled element or object jumps to where you click outside the manipulator.
Anyone knows how to disable this behavior?
SI.jpg
red lines - mouse movement

Mathaeus

Re: element "jumping" with snap enabled

Post by Mathaeus » 02 Nov 2016, 22:21

Not an answer, anyway in SI and more or less in Maya today, I've rarely ever used 'classic' snaps for vertex to surface or curve matching. It was a Shrink Wrap (above modeling op in stack) for many-at-once snapping, with 'closest vertex' option if I wanted vertex-to-vertex relation. Also SI Shrink Wrap is able to 'snap' to curve, if some of 'closest' option is used (otherwise it won't snap to curve). Classic snap was more for matching to viewport grids and such.
Would be nice to know, what you want to do.

wesserbro

Post by wesserbro » 03 Nov 2016, 17:31

I'm just messing around with nurbs (i know, righ? :D ) in my spare time, so its not some @high-priority@ issue :)
The other day was snapping curves to geometry and this 'jumping' was bothering me a little.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 03 Nov 2016, 20:32

If this is about nurbs modeling in SI, there's great tutorial here, for Softimage 3d :D . I think this is the last one of this kind for SI... Maya toolset is a way stronger, while workflow is same as it was 15 years ago.... And former t-spline plugin is a part of AD cloud based Fusion 360, but not available for 'their' Maya anymore... Not good times for nurbs in DCC, except for all sort of auxiliary tasks, like constraints, ICE geometry queries and such.

wesserbro

Post by wesserbro » 03 Nov 2016, 23:02

yeah, i saw that SI3d tutorial. Its great from technical side, but the head itself doesn't look very inspiring))
i'm trying out nurbs after many years not even touching it because of this guy i've came across recently. http://bbs.fevte.com/thread-1113-1-1.html
all the characters done with nurbs patch modeling and thats just insane!

Regarding softimage nurbs toolset... well its not as bad as i though! There is "curve network" operator, which maya has not. Curves intersections can have small gaps and surface still will be built. You can attach and blend surfaces easily with good results, !you can blend trims with loft! , you have continuity manager (though slightly worse than maya's one from my little experience). Its interactive, unlike rhino and such, its goddamn fast as hell! And all this goodness lives in softimage environment with tweak tool, stack, deformers and constraints. Fillets is kinda bad though in many scenarios.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 04 Nov 2016, 01:09

wesserbro wrote:yeah, i saw that SI3d tutorial. Its great from technical side, but the head itself doesn't look very inspiring))
i'm trying out nurbs after many years not even touching it because of this guy i've came across recently. http://bbs.fevte.com/thread-1113-1-1.html
all the characters done with nurbs patch modeling and thats just insane!
Yeah that's insane. Literally....