Custom multiple slicing

Discussions regarding modelling with SOFTIMAGE©
mc_axe

Custom multiple slicing

Post by mc_axe » 01 Dec 2016, 14:16

Is there somehow a way to slice the geometry of an existing polygonal mesh based on a secondary planar mesh like that?

Imagine each edge of the disk to be an independent slice projected on y.

Im not looking for slices that cut throught the entire scene, ideally we want a local slice that affects only what it "touches".

Is that possible?
Last edited by mc_axe on 11 May 2017, 01:03, edited 1 time in total.

mc_axe

Re: Custom multiple slicing

Post by mc_axe » 02 Dec 2016, 13:13

So.. i managed to do multiple custom slices, with the use of grid planes, (not any kind) such as the ones created by the slice tool (..)
1)I create a compatible grid with a temp slice 2)i delete the op, 3)I populate the grids, 4)i arrange them like knifes that will cut through the mesh 5)Then i ran this super awesome (lol) script that use them one by one and does multiple slices at once.

Code: Select all

function main(){
    OpenUndo('Re-Connect loops of quads')
    var Sel= GetValue('selectionlist')
    for ( var j=0; j < Sel.Count; j++ ) {
        var obj = Sel(j)
        SelectObj(obj)
		for (i = 0; i <= 9; ++i) {
		if (i===0){
			ApplyTopoOp("SlicePolygons", obj, siUnspecified, siPersistentOperation, null);
			ConnectPlaneReferenceToSlicePolygonsOp(obj+".polymsh.slicepolygonsop.sliceplane", "grid");
			}
			else{
			ApplyTopoOp("SlicePolygons", obj, siUnspecified, siPersistentOperation, null);
			ConnectPlaneReferenceToSlicePolygonsOp(obj+".polymsh.slicepolygonsop["+i+"].sliceplane", "grid"+i);
			}
		}
        FreezeModeling( obj )
    }
    SelectObj( Sel )
    CloseUndo()
}
main()
Ofc a slice applied to an obj 'cuts through the entire mesh' if no local selection of polygons, the absence of an option to apply the slice only locally under the projection of a slice plane, is limiting this method. The size of each grid plane is irrelevant, only the orientation matters. So the slice op doesn't rly have a start and an end. In short you cannot have for example a circular slice that is based on edges. You can only have something like the image below(planar cuts),, and to make a mesh out of this is hard, ok maybe a few more horizontal slices, would help. But yes retopo is what i was thinkng in the first place.

So this first draft method works but if the goal is retopo, it has limitations and can be frustrating..

Custom slicing (mesh 2 mesh ) ... the more i think of it the more reminds of a classic modeling tool that is missing and could be useful in alot of cases, a trigger for even more creativity. So IF someone can think of a way to make mesh 2 mesh slice with ICE or scripting, it is truly worth it, then we could do this with few steps:
Last edited by mc_axe on 02 Dec 2016, 15:07, edited 1 time in total.

gaboraa

Post by gaboraa » 02 Dec 2016, 13:38

There is also a slicer feature in Implosia but it requires a closed mesh and doesn't work with planer surfaces

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 14 Jan 2017, 19:11

I figured a workaround to create slices of any shape, but i hate it. :(( horible method :-q

For a circular slice for example, i used a cylinder like a cookie cutter, no cap or botom had to add tiny thicknes to it.
Then boolean ->union to my mesh, then delete the cylindrical leftovers, result was something like a circular cut on the surface, something like an edge with disconected edges on my mesh.

then to weld the points back together to a single edge, and even keep a cluster in the process.
While this allowed me to create slices of any shape and also locally, boolean is still a heavy op that i wanted to avoid.