Few Questions that pop in my head

Discussions regarding modelling with SOFTIMAGE©
mc_axe

Few Questions that pop in my head

Post by mc_axe » 15 Mar 2017, 21:58

1)Is it possible to paint a weight map with a brush that is masked with a texture map?

2)Can the proportional tool be non spherical. Maybe 3 different profiles for each axis or somthing.

3)can i use a deformation simmilar to the proportional tool?

4)Can i use something simmilar to the proportional scale , to drive possitions of objects instead of scaling them?

5)Some tools i cannot find them in the keyboard mapping for example subd edges evenly, instead i see only the split edge, why is that? Others are there and work but they do no open inspection like it happens with right click hard mark edges for example.

6)Can keymapping profiles be shared?

7)How can i add a simple modeling script that repeats a few simple modeling commands from the log in a keyboard shortcut

8)What is the most simple measuring tool to measure distance between points?

9)Is there a tool that adds a loop with no smoothing? Or can i set tools default values?

Ups that list started becomming too big, ok ill stop thx for any answers!

NNois

Re: Few Questions that pop in my head

Post by NNois » 15 Mar 2017, 22:27

1) yes with ice
2) no, but you can sandwitch the prop tool in the stack between two scale operator to deform the brush in the 3 axis
3) isn't the prop tool a deform tool ?
4) yes if you generate a point cloud for your obj group, deform the pointcloud with the prop tool, then get back the new position to your via instancing.
5) that's normal you need to get you're head around scripting
6) yup it's in your user folder, read the docs
7) you can copy paste the log in a script, then to map to a keyboard just read the docs
8) yes with a length function in ice between points, or with a lenght expression between obj

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 16 Mar 2017, 00:13

NNois wrote:1) yes with ice
2) no, but you can sandwitch the prop tool in the stack between two scale operator to deform the brush in the 3 axis
4) yes if you generate a point cloud for your obj group, deform the pointcloud with the prop tool, then get back the new position to your via instancing.
5) that's normal you need to get you're head around scripting
6) yup it's in your user folder, read the docs
7) you can copy paste the log in a script, then to map to a keyboard just read the docs
8) yes with a length function in ice between points, or with a lenght expression between obj
nice!
Yep i meant somehing that i can animate but err i can can do this with a null right? or ill need some ice magic again to get something more smooth like a profile?

Yep indeed i need to start with scripting ice and read more docs!
I m trying to improove a litle, my speed in modeling im clicking too much, thx for rply cheers :D

julius

Post by julius » 16 Mar 2017, 14:55

9) yes --> press "^" and mouse middle clic. (azerty keyboard)

you can set tools default values too

myara

Post by myara » 16 Mar 2017, 15:04

mc_axe wrote:6)Can keymapping profiles be shared?
AFAIK you can't share it in real time. The last time I tried to use it in my Intranet Workgroup it wasn't recognized.
You'll have to copy the keymap file locally, and update it as you change it.
mc_axe wrote:8)What is the most simple measuring tool to measure distance between points?
kCS IceRuler
http://www.si-community.com/community/v ... =27&t=2718

Or the old and simple csRuler
https://www.highend3d.com/xsi/script/csruler-for-xsi
M.Yara
Character Modeler | Softimage Generalist (sort of)

rray

Post by rray » 19 Mar 2017, 01:13

for 4) also have a look at Piotrek's tools here
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 19 Mar 2017, 14:11

Thnx everyone for answers! RLY helpful!

About point 7 (mapping a modelling script on keyboard) i found help on wiki. Usualy i just need a few commands from log then i need to modify them, save scrpit, drag and drop the script to a custom toolbar, select command, wizzard pops up, add name for new command etc ok , then that name is availiable in keyboard mapping :D . Tadah level up sound.

That can save alot of time with chores of operators, scripts that make avail on shortcut things that were previusly not. Esp if i get my head around basics of scripting, ill beef the heck out of SI modeling =p~ Juust wait and see

Lol , meanwhile scripts look like hieroglyphics to me, still trying to figure basics like, how to make scripts work for any object or any selection, i might need to open a new thread for that.

myara

Post by myara » 19 Mar 2017, 19:30

mc_axe wrote: how to make scripts work for any object or any selection, i might need to open a new thread for that.
That's actually pretty easy. Use Application.Selection to get an Object Collection of your selection.

A little more explained in this thread

http://www.si-community.com/community/v ... =16&t=6198
M.Yara
Character Modeler | Softimage Generalist (sort of)

mc_axe

Post by mc_axe » 20 Mar 2017, 12:33

ty Martin ^^ :-bd

About 9
9) yes --> press "^" and mouse middle clic. (azerty keyboard)
Found the qwerty shortcut is ' ] ' and MMB, never tried MMB with that :((

About 5
There is also 'ctrl + end' (in obj selection) which inspects the last applied op in the stack.

julius

Post by julius » 21 Mar 2017, 21:38

This thread is being really cool !

If anyone is interested with changing any default values for primitives, operators...

open the explorer, then press "A"

go to "scene defaults"

If you never used the operator or primitive you want in the scene before, you won't see it, so create one on a test object for exemple.

then you'll see it in the list of operators, or primitives or anything else.

Double clic on it an set the default value you want for it.

Now, each time you'll need to create a new one, it will have the new value you entered by default.