SubD strategy question & disconnect edges approach

Discussions regarding modelling with SOFTIMAGE©
3dnoob

SubD strategy question & disconnect edges approach

Post by 3dnoob » 02 Feb 2019, 15:38

Hey friends,

To any seasoned SubD modelers out there, is there a strategy to not get pinches and creases when modeling a smooth spherical surface with an orthogonal extrusion? I tried to move the edge holding the sides so that it does not create a vertical pinch along the smooth area at the back but I was wondering if it is common to get minor distortions under harsh specular or there is a better way to go about it.
Attachments
modeling q3.jpg
modeling q2.jpg
modeling q1.jpg
Last edited by 3dnoob on 06 Feb 2019, 18:30, edited 1 time in total.

rray

Re: SubD strategy question

Post by rray » 02 Feb 2019, 16:53

You could extrude the 11 polygons from the side part once more so you have extra edges for tweaking, to see irregular bits of surface I'd use several lights and orbit the camera around the model a lot.

Actually this mdoel is exactly what subd is really bad at: large rounded areas with geometrically clean transitions into smaller sharper shapes. If possible, I would use a Nurbs modeller (rhino, moi or Fusion)
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

3dnoob

Post by 3dnoob » 02 Feb 2019, 17:07

Thank you rray for coming to the rescue! Even your general rule about subD is useful to me and something I had not realized. I orbit the camera a lot and I can see areas that are pinched, but I was not sure if it is solvable through topology tweaking (most of them are very subtle). I am familiar with MoI,but I figured that subD would be good for this smooth spheroid part. I guess the extruding tiny bits change the equation :))

rray

Post by rray » 05 Feb 2019, 11:22

Glad it helped a bit! I think subd can usually get you close enough for mechanical parts when they're rather small or the render style doesn't require the high precision look.
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

3dnoob

Post by 3dnoob » 06 Feb 2019, 18:28

Indeed! Thanks rray :)

I am currently exploring the disconnected edges approach and I really like what it gives. I am able to get rid of many loops and it looks perfect except for that same part around the area that sticks out. Do you see any possible way to reduce the pinching through topology tweak or different disc. edge selection?

I really appreciate the help.
Attachments
Discon_test.jpg