some questions for beginner in animation

Discussions about animating in SOFTIMAGE©
KLONOA WORKS

some questions for beginner in animation

Post by KLONOA WORKS » 12 Aug 2013, 08:39

Hi,

I started from now to focus in animation, and I got some questions :

what the different between "Key Marked Parameters" and "Key Marked Keyable" ?

~x( I try to find what exactly the different but I didn't know if someone explain to me with example :X

another question ,

The scale can't animation if I made a cube then choose a polygon and scale it , there is no animation it only work when I scale the cube uniformly .

thanks

Jho

Re: some questions for beginner in animation

Post by Jho » 12 Aug 2013, 12:01

KLONOA WORKS wrote:Hi,
what the different between "Key Marked Parameters" and "Key Marked Keyable" ?
From Softimage help:

Key Marked Parameters sets keys only on marked parameters. This is the default method for working in Softimage.

Key Marked Keyable sets keys only on keyable parameters that you have marked in the keying panel. This is mixture that lets you set keys on the intersection of parameters that are both keyable and marked.

So it would seem like Key Marked Keyable keys even less than Key Marked Parameters. If you want to control really specifically what parameters are being keyed, choose Key Marked Keyable.

I use Key All Keyable without autokey. Can't say if that's the best way to animate, but it has been my workflow and I like it. I like to decide if I want to key a pose or not and clean up afterwards. Can't think of many occasions when something unwanted got keyed anyways.
KLONOA WORKS wrote: The scale can't animation if I made a cube then choose a polygon and scale it , there is no animation it only work when I scale the cube uniformly .
I don't know if there is a vertex animation or such in Softimage, but anyways I really recommend using bones for deformations.
Just create two Nulls (or bones) and set them as deformers for the cube (Animate > Deform > Envelope > Set Envelope).
Paint their weights so that the other null only covers one polygon (W is the hotkey for paint tool). Now if you scale the null, the polygon will scale also.

This video was the first I bumped into, that goes through the process.

Hope this helps at all.

KLONOA WORKS

Post by KLONOA WORKS » 12 Aug 2013, 14:14

well, xD
still I don't understand the different with "Key Marked Parameters" and "Key Marked Keyable"

both must choose parameter <_< still confuse

and for the second part thanks the channel got great tutorial :D

mattmos

Post by mattmos » 12 Aug 2013, 14:55

marked parameters is the older method, key keyable is the new way to work. Though some people find the marked parameters more reliable, keyable params seems to work ok these days.

Regarding scaling polygons, you would probably be best off animating that with shape animation. The only other way would be to select the polygon and 'create cluster with center', and animate the center null.

KLONOA WORKS

Post by KLONOA WORKS » 12 Aug 2013, 16:09

mattmos wrote:marked parameters is the older method, key keyable is the new way to work. Though some people find the marked parameters more reliable, keyable params seems to work ok these days.

Regarding scaling polygons, you would probably be best off animating that with shape animation. The only other way would be to select the polygon and 'create cluster with center', and animate the center null.
oh I see , so its only new way , so why the parameter more reliable I mean what include in the key parameter ? dose has more option ?

and yes, its work shape animation is what I need really thanks :D

really appreciate guys :x

csaez

Post by csaez » 14 Aug 2013, 05:05

KLONOA WORKS wrote:oh I see , so its only new way , so why the parameter more reliable I mean what include in the key parameter ? dose has more option ?
Marking Parameters for Animation :)

myara

Post by myara » 14 Aug 2013, 11:00

You can make a parameter not keyable with the Keyable Parameters Editor.

To make it easier, let's say you make Position X unkeyable, and try to make an animation where you use only translation.

Making Position X unkeyable, hides it from your Keying Panel, but you can still mark it in your object Kinematic parameters in your Explorer if you want, or just selecting the Translate tool marks your Local Position XYZ, even if you are translating only in one axis, it marks pos XYZ.

So, if you move the object and you have your preferences in "Key Marked Parameters", your Key button will key the Position X too.

If you do it with "Key Marked Keyable", it won't key your unkeyable parameters even if they have been marked manually or automatically. In this example only posy and posz will be animated.

If you use "Key All Keyable", it will key Scale and Rotate too even if you're not marking them.

Personally I usually don't use the key button, but the Key Position, Key Rotation or Key Scale separately (with a customized keyboard layout because the default one isn't very friendly for this method) and use "Marked Keyable" in my preferences.
M.Yara
Character Modeler | Softimage Generalist (sort of)