Free renderer - MachStudio Pro 2

News concerning 3D DCC business
mixepix

Free renderer - MachStudio Pro 2

Post by mixepix » 24 May 2011, 18:31

Just saw on CGTalk that MAchStudio Pro can be downloaded for free: http://www.studiogpu.com/

cheers,
Mikael
----------------------------------------
http://vimeo.com/mikaelpettersen

Rez007

Re: Free renderer - MachStudio Pro 2

Post by Rez007 » 25 May 2011, 00:00

Cool! Thanks for the heads up.

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 27 May 2011, 19:03

Has anyone tried this? First impressions for me it seems obvious why it didn't take off. The interface is a huge drawback IMO. Anyone have any experience with it?

Matic

Post by Matic » 02 Jun 2011, 19:02

I've used it, and I like it. The interface is indeed ugly as sin, but once you move around a lit and textured scene in realtime adjusting lights and shadows interactively, the interface's fugliness is more bearable. Took a bit of time to get used to it, but it's pretty awesome once you do. The XSI exporter works fine.

With some practice I was able to put together scenes which rival mental ray quality but which render at a second a frame at 2k resolution, which is pretty cool. The down side is that you have to do your materials and lighting in the app, it carries over some basic information but is designed to have the shaders and lights applied in the world of realtime.

The shader editor can be used to create shaders which render the same in both realtime and in mental ray, meaning you can make most passes for realtime but still send some passes to mental ray and everything matches in comp.

It's ugly but production-proven and powerful, definitely worth picking up and learning now that it's free.

ActionArt

Post by ActionArt » 02 Jun 2011, 21:30

Good to know, thanks for the info! I'll spend some time with it then.