Ray's WIPs

Comments on work in progress
rray

Re: Ray's WIPs

Post by rray » 01 Apr 2011, 00:07

Softimage only. Planned on creating only the base mesh in SI and then move it over to ZBrush, but then the basemesh ended up being so detailed that wasn't even necessary anymore xD

Details on the rock he's sitting on are ZBrush though.

Thanks Nizar, I'm pretty sure I'll continue working on the Hank character.
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 01 Apr 2011, 12:27

If you're "merely" talking animation, I guess Hank would be a better starting point than the Thinker as it is too realistic, which makes animating it convincingly that much harder (the viewer expects more...).
The cartoony nature of Hank provides way more room for "error". ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

shadow_ex_

Post by shadow_ex_ » 02 Apr 2011, 23:15

mister rray you are making some wonderful characters
i really like the way they are stylized^^

rray

Post by rray » 19 Jun 2011, 01:51

Thx Shadow.
Been a while :-ss ..
Animation I agree Hank would be easier.. and more fun..
anyway got sidetracked again but managed to "finish" this one...
(Picked up an old model here)

Preview (see Moderator edit below)
http://i55.tinypic.com/11v2kw9.jpg
Nudity warning: [ Show ]
C&C welcome, especially how to make the face more female. Not sure yet what I'll do about the hair before I drop her on the turbo squid.
-rr

Missed this one earlier -
Moderator edit: removed the img tags from the Preview, as having a smaller preview of a picture under a nudity warning completely defeats the purpose of a nudity warning, as its smaller size doesn't make it less nudity... And yes, now there is a tag-less url floating around... - HB
Last edited by Hirazi Blue on 06 Jul 2011, 13:41, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: update image

rray

Post by rray » 06 Jul 2011, 02:20

Done some more work on the face. Sill undecided what to do about the hair (Probably going to use KH3+Create Extrusion Along Strands V2)

Preview: (see Moderator edit below)
http://i55.tinypic.com/242haa9_th.jpg
Nudity warning: [ Show ]
Closeup of eyes, lighting & material doesn't really work for this resolution

Moderator edit: removed the img tags from the Preview, as having a smaller preview of a picture under a nudity warning completely defeats the purpose of a nudity warning, as its smaller size doesn't make it less nudity... And yes, now there is a tag-less url floating around... - HB

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 06 Jul 2011, 10:27

Eyes are really nice. I like it very much.

rray

Post by rray » 06 Jul 2011, 12:57

Hirazi, I figured thumbnails would be an ok tradeoff between a rather text-heavy picture thread and a fully SFW thread. Going to make them a bit blurrier, hope that's ok.

Cheers Nizar!

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 06 Jul 2011, 13:00

@rray - don't get me wrong, I'm not doing this to annoy you. I'm not even doing this, because I'm such a puritan/prude. Over the years I have found that hiding nudity from instant view is good practice on world-wide forums...
;)

rray

Post by rray » 06 Jul 2011, 14:26

Well ok, but if thumbnails with nudity are not ok then I'm just wondering why there's one in the top row of the forum right now.
Jus saying ;)

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 06 Jul 2011, 16:11

It's hard to define, that's true (and the gallery is owei's department), but that picture doesn't actually show anything IMHO. I would see the "side of breast" in the background as slightly less offensive than the thumbnails you had on offer. There's no "full frontal nudity" there (as the male figures do not even show any genitalia). But it's obviously highly debatable, as you so kindly point out...
But I give up...
It's obviously highly subjective and I am trying to think
from the widest (or is it narrowest?) possible perspective here...
I knew the nudity tag would some day come back and haunt me...

rray

Post by rray » 06 Jul 2011, 16:33

The nudity tag I find very useful in situations such as when you're in the office scouring sicommunity.com for plugins, and accidentaly hit a thread like mine and it just so happens that your boss walks in exactly in that moment (as usual ... :-bd )

I was going for a preview here because the thread looked pretty pictureless without clicking the "show" buttons - I agree I could've opted (and will if OK) for smaller and more censored versions of the thumbnails, so no boss can recognize anything from 5 meters away :ympray: ..

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 09 Jul 2011, 20:14

rray wrote:The nudity tag I find very useful in situations such as when you're in the office scouring sicommunity.com for plugins, and accidentaly hit a thread like mine and it just so happens that your boss walks in exactly in that moment (as usual ... :-bd )

I was going for a preview here because the thread looked pretty pictureless without clicking the "show" buttons - I agree I could've opted (and will if OK) for smaller and more censored versions of the thumbnails, so no boss can recognize anything from 5 meters away :ympray: ..
and what, is one's boss a toad or a tree? doesn't he handle nudity like a normal mature human being? or is he an automaton that goes: oh no, nudity detected, system overload, cannot handle, cannot seeeee... (damaged faded out robot voice) ?!
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

rray

Post by rray » 09 Jul 2011, 20:50

Sorry I don't see your point :-\

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 10 Jul 2011, 10:03

The reason the nudity tag came up recently again in this thread was because of rray’s clever implementation of previews, which I – as the initiator of the nudity tags – found problematic.
Any further discussion about the general nature of the nudity tags doesn't belong here.
This is “rray’s WIP" thread, where his use of the nudity tags (or lack thereof... :- ) might be discussed, not the place, where the nudity tags itself should be discussed. For discussions like that (although I think I won’t easily be convinced of dropping them) I’ve opened a new thread that I started with a slightly longer post about the general idea of the nudity tags.

rray

Post by rray » 20 Aug 2011, 10:24

Hi there
continuing here:
Ray's WIPs (nudity) @cgtalk

(No judging about the nudity tag here - It's just that it seems that everything I work on seems to involve nudity, and for that reason a WIP thread that you have to click 28 times to see the pictures might not be the best idea for me to post my WIPs in)

Cheers,
Ray

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 20 Aug 2011, 10:51

Sorry, you feel that way...
Serves me right, I guess, for trying to do the decent thing...
(You never explicitly stated the on-going nudity in the thread title here, that might have made a difference, but okay)