Siggraph 2011

News concerning 3D DCC business
ActionArt

Re: Siggraph 2011

Post by ActionArt » 19 Aug 2011, 04:47

Well, I have to agree, as Luc-Eric put it, it sounds rather useless to me as well. I'm glad to hear there's some OpenGL/Viewport work going on instead. That would be useful.

I don't care about Arnold at this point seeing as I apparently can't purchase it anyway :(

Just hoping MR gets in gear. 3.9 has been rather poor for me. In all the tests I did on my scenes it's slower than 3.7 or 3.8. I'm sure it isn't for everyone but on my scenes it is. 3.10 looks interesting.

oglu

Post by oglu » 19 Aug 2011, 13:25

luceric wrote: The time that would be spent on that will be spent instead on the OpenGL Viewports,...
does this mean we get OGS support like max and maya..?

Lord Futzi Voldemort

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 19 Aug 2011, 14:38

Chris_TC wrote:
Lord Futzi Voldemort wrote:using the famous move-normal addon combined with the extrude [...]
There are at least two thickness addons I use regularly [...]
Am I the only one who hates, hates, hates having to bother with external plugins? I'm very glad that we get functionality out of the box.
I only said that, because luc-eric statet, that none of the new features were available as addons.
luceric wrote:The time that would be spent on that will be spent instead on the OpenGL Viewports, maintenance/stability of the current rendering engine, and helping third parties such as Arnold.
Well that´s a really good thing. I love to hear that.

Achim
I'm now part of an endangered species...

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 19 Aug 2011, 14:46

luceric wrote:Softimage's program manager's current position is to not have iray in softimage. Not because it's awesome and must be reserved for Max, but because isn't so hot, and it isn't useful for most of the user base (everything must fit in the GPU RAM for using the GPU, no motion blur, no programmable shader trees, no particles, etc) and is costly to integrate and maintain. (It's not going to be in Maya either, afaik) The time that would be spent on that will be spent instead on the OpenGL Viewports, maintenance/stability of the current rendering engine, and helping third parties such as Arnold.
I actually find this to be very disappointing news. Yes there are some limitations, but aren't there limitations with Mental Ray currently too? Does every render need motion blur or particles? There are a lot of projects that are Viz centered and iRay would be great for that. So far the current implementation of Mental Ray - well, I am sure you have read all of the numerous posts about it over the years, and can come to the conclusion that it is not that hot and very slow in its current form. Yes, Arnold would be great - if some of us had access to it. It would have been nice if this was posted a long time ago to let people know the roadmap, but at least you did it now, so thank you for that. I just hope that when things do get added for the new Mental Ray (I posted a thread link to it a couple of pages earlier) that they get implemented quickly and not dropped halfway through without being seen through to the end...

I thought this was nice:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0zZnjas ... r_embedded

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 19 Aug 2011, 17:16

luceric wrote:Btw except the one shot selection commands, none of this is really available as addons.
@luceric - While we're wrapping this thread up, could you please comment a little bit more on the quoted statement? And maybe on your earlier "Bullet with CUDA" remark as well, as this wasn't explicitly mentioned on Mark's written "feature list"?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 21 Aug 2011, 22:26

Ah well...
One more interesting piece to come out of Siggraph is the
Technology Preview of Project Skyline that you can watch
over @ the Area at the My Oh Maya! blog

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 22 Aug 2011, 12:14

I believe that Luc-Eric commented on the user list about Bullet and CUDA inside Softimage.

As for Skyline, well this isn't new, we did actually preview this at GDC earlier this year.

:)

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 22 Aug 2011, 12:58

Well, Bellsey, I am fully aware (and you are fully aware that even I know this) that Project Skyline isn't new, it seemed however the Technology Preview was coming "from Siggraph".

And I have searched the Mailing List with the apparently logical keywords "bullet" + "cuda" I got nothing "new".
So maybe instead of always complaining about my posts only,
could you please just provide a link...

Leo

Post by Leo » 22 Aug 2011, 13:08

Hirazi I don't think he was complaining about your post. He was just providing his view on the 2 topics you raised. Mere opinions which at least from my perspective do not seem to really address your post. Now you could say that Bellsey wasn't 100% helpful, but i don't think that he had any bad intent in his post.

Just my perspective.

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 22 Aug 2011, 13:25

actually I made a mistake, Luc-Eric didn't post on the list, it was to this forum and this thread. But he might not have explained much detail.
So I got my posts confused. But maybe he'll reply, the original query was posted on a Friday and we're only on Monday, so no much has happened over the weekend.

As for Skyline, I was merely pointing out that we had previously previewed Skyline earlier at GDC, and I didn't know if people were aware of that.

And I wasn't complaining or offering a view, just extra information that's all.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 22 Aug 2011, 13:30

@Leo - you might be right, but you should look at Bellsey's posting history,
which suggests he seems "hell-bent" on always showing
how wrong all of my posts are (even if some of them aren't).

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 22 Aug 2011, 15:29

again, I have replied about this before.

I do not make any of my posts personal for the purpose of attacking someone, or deliberately trying to discredit anything that has been posted. Nor do I target a specific person for the subject of my posts.

The main thing I try to do when posting on these types of forums is to be fair and also provide the correct facts where applicable.
Hirazi, as an Admin of this site and forum you obviously post alot more than many others on here. I can't very well help the fact that as a result of your amount of posting, that I seem to reply to your posts more than others. I'm also not trying to prove you wrong on anything either and in fact I could very easily accuse you of doing the same to me and Autodesk. But this is a public forum and people are entitled to their opinions. It would be totally wrong and inappropriate for me or Autodesk to stop people having their say.
Sometimes I agree with what people have posted and sometimes I don't, but that's human nature. However, if I see that some facts are perhaps slightly wrong, or maybe misunderstood then as a representative of Autodesk on this forum, then I try and offer as much reasoning and facts as I can. And I try and do this as polite and as courteous as I can.