normal map seam

Discussions regarding Materials, Material-Compounds or Shaders, etc.
wayfarer

normal map seam

Post by wayfarer » 19 Nov 2011, 19:30

hi i attach my problem photo, what should i do?
Attachments
seam.jpg
seam.jpg (46.31 KiB) Viewed 2546 times

bottleofram

Re: normal map seam

Post by bottleofram » 20 Nov 2011, 01:53

If there's a way to correctly export an object space normal map from zbrush to soft, I am yet to see one. What worked for me is tangent based, flipped red channel and smoothed uvs i think. Not 100% sure - been using xNormal for a while now... :|

wayfarer

Post by wayfarer » 20 Nov 2011, 17:13

thank you for your reply,is it possible that i use unique uv for something like sphere and export it to zb and import it again to softimage without seams, that colored mesh in top right is not a object space, that is simple ultimapper that i use it instead of unique uv that you can see uv islands, i can's invert red channel because i should do it for each island and i can't do it, i read a bout using ultimapper and smothing it but is it a absolute answer, i am looking for a 100% working solution.

bottleofram

Post by bottleofram » 22 Nov 2011, 01:24

Well, not gonna be of much help, but... Unique uv's will always be a tricky ground because of the orientation of the islands. If its a static object, most of the times you can get away with adjusting tangentOp's smoothing slider based on a camera position (try max and min values first).

Btw, just checked, i was wrong about flipping red channel - dont need that...

Also, you dont need ultimapper if you are exporting maps from a different program. Just assign a tangent property.

wayfarer

Post by wayfarer » 22 Nov 2011, 21:06

it's not the only matter of unique uv man, i just mentioned it cause i don't like messing with UVs, i like to find a way that i use simple uv without manipulating and export my object, it work for color map but unfortunately not for normals, anyway thank you for you time it was helpfull :)

Manticor

Post by Manticor » 24 Nov 2011, 21:02

If youre using zbrush then I suggest you use UV master to unwrap your model.It will create a lot less seams and you can specify where you want them by just painting colours on the mesh.Plus using Xnormal should elimate 90% of any seam problems.Most of the time the bakes are perfect but I have had the odd one that still creates a seam.The only system I know that unwraps models which never create a seam is Unwrella but that is only for max and maya last time I looked.

dirtydog

Post by dirtydog » 25 Nov 2011, 23:01

I' ve tested quite a few apps on trying to achieve seamless normal maps and found 3d coat gave me the best results, with a little trial and error, and you may still have to paint area's of the seam out in photoshop also.

oglu

Post by oglu » 26 Nov 2011, 09:35

Looks like flipped uvs...

wayfarer

Post by wayfarer » 27 Nov 2011, 18:46

thank you guys i just think it solved with bunch of check box, but appearently it's a serious problem and in this case i use to unfold my models :)